DM41X Beta Programme

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
KimWood

Posted on the MoHPC Site Today

Post by KimWood »

My recently ordered DM41X beta unit arrived in Australia today (s/n: 00037). It didn't take too long at all. I also own a SwissMicros DM42 or three plus a number of other SwissMicros calculators including the recently available DM10L collector's edition.

Initial DM41X impressions? Uses same tough metal shell as the DM42 and is sturdy. The display looks to be the same used in the DM42 and is sharp and crisp. The keyboard has been reworked with lower profile keys and feels very nice. The key action is precise with a discernible click. Not too clicky though - and not too stiff. I like the keyboard a lot. That should silence any concerns. The yellow and blue shift keys are a little dull, but do not detract from the overall appearance.

There are three small slots on either side of the keyboard as per the DM42, so I assume that ROM overlays will be available in the future (from third parties?). The keyboard printing, both keys and fascia, is crisp and looks great. I guess that the keys are painted and not two-shot moulded, and may eventually show some wear. I have given my DM42's a lot of work, and can not see any key wear whatsoever, so I am optimistic that the DM41X will have a very long and useful life. Battery life, too early to tell yet, but I have not changed any button batteries on my various SwissMicros calculators since purchase. Assume battery life is long, very long.

As for the actual operation of the calculator, well you all know how an HP41 works. This particular SwissMicros implementation is beautifully done, and I am looking forward to playing with a few ROM images that I have not used previously.

Bottom line? A very nice implementation in brand new hardware. No brittle plastic to worry about. No NOS or printed parts to source on eBay. No messy battery compartments to clean up or battery packs to build. No need to worry about it expiring on me one day with no available replacement. No N-size batteries to find every couple of hundred hours. USB access for file/ROM upload/download. I/R implemented. Fairly priced. I have not detected any downside yet. Well worth considering by enthusiasts.
smp

Re: DM41X Beta Programme

Post by smp »

^^^THIS^^^
This post really deserves a “like”.
Kim has read my mind and posted exactly what I would have said if I was good at expressing how I feel. :)

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
DM41X Beta SN: 00027
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

smp wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:57 pm
^^^THIS^^^
This post really deserves a “like”.
Kim has read my mind and posted exactly what I would have said if I was good at expressing how I feel. :)

smp
Oh yeahhh !
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
smp

Post by smp »

Now that the new calculator glow has started to die down (not really, just kidding!) I just noticed that I have a blemish on my keyboard. The SF legend seems to have a blob on it. I guess, since I know what the legend is supposed to be, I never looked at it that closely. I'm not even sure why it just caught my eye. See the attachment.

Does anyone else have any minor blemishes like this, or am I the only lucky one?

smp
Attachments
IMG_1488.jpeg
IMG_1488.jpeg (132.88 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Stephen
- - - - -
jthole

Post by jthole »

Not here ... but you still have a yellow shift key ;)
DM42 s/n 06181 DM41X s/n \(\beta\)0005 (sold)
smp

Post by smp »

jthole wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:36 pm
That's very interesting. The shift key in my photo looks really nice, but in real life, it's kind of a puky yellowish-greenish color, pretty much what folks have been commenting about. Curious!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
smp

Post by smp »

smp wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 pm
jthole wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:36 pm
That's very interesting. The shift key in my photo looks really nice, but in real life, it's kind of a puky yellowish-greenish color, pretty much what folks have been commenting about. Curious!

smp
And now on closer inspection with my magnifying glass (tough to get old!) I can see the paint on the shift key has worn on the upper right corner and about half way along the top edge. Also a smaller amount of wear on the upper left corner.

Anyone else experiencing wear on their shift key?

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

@smp

The wear pattern you describe is totally consistent with several others reported to date, yet a few seem to be OK.

Regarding the "SF" legend, I think that's unique, as I've seen several machines and photos and have not seen that before.

The proper spin, should you decide to sell it later, is "rare early BETA DM41X with yellow-dot" :o
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
smp

Post by smp »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:50 pm
... Regarding the "SF" legend, I think that's unique, as I've seen several machines and photos and have not seen that before.

The proper spin, should you decide to sell it later, is "rare early BETA DM41X with yellow-dot" :o
Yep, that's me. Why can't I be lucky like that when I buy a lottery ticket? :lol:

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
diamondsoftware

Post by diamondsoftware »

Hi from Belgium,
just order now :)))))
Stephane D.
Stephane Dujourdy
Softwares made on measure and computing advice since 1980