Enjoy the fun!
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Walter

Re: DM41X Beta Programme

Post by Walter »

RAPo wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:37 pm
How should we start wit testing, report results and wishes?
I'd suggest by simply start using it. YMMV ;)

And about reporting, how about reading the titles of the branches of this forum? Just asking ... :roll:
DM42 SN: 00041 β
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-35S, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L
smp

Post by smp »

I have another probably silly issue - I'm struggling to save an individual file in .RAW format.

I've read the instructions, and they seem straightforward enough.

I have two programs to perform Hex-to-Decimal and Decimal-to-Hex conversion, named H↑D and D↑H. I've failed to get the ↑ character. Normally, it's GOLD ENTER when in ALPHA mode, but during the file name entry on the DM41X when trying to save, the gold shift key only toggles between upper case letters, lower case letters, and numbers, so I'm stymied on how to get the ↑ character into my file name.

Is there a way to see a list of programs you have typed in, and simply select a program from the list to save?

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
DM41X Beta SN: 00027
jthole

Post by jthole »

smp wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:32 pm
I have another probably silly issue - I'm struggling to save an individual file in .RAW format.

I've read the instructions, and they seem straightforward enough.

I have two programs to perform Hex-to-Decimal and Decimal-to-Hex conversion, named H↑D and D↑H. I've failed to get the ↑ character. Normally, it's GOLD ENTER when in ALPHA mode, but during the file name entry on the DM41X when trying to save, the gold shift key only toggles between upper case letters, lower case letters, and numbers, so I'm stymied on how to get the ↑ character into my file name.

Is there a way to see a list of programs you have typed in, and simply select a program from the list to save?

smp
Have you found the user manual already? http://www.swissmicros.com/dm41x/doc/dm ... manual.pdf

That explains how to save a program to a RAW file (the name must be in the alpha register).

The up arrow is <shift> <enter> in alpha mode on the DM41X as well, so not sure why that is not working for you.
smp

Post by smp »

Here's an update to my previous post regarding SAVE and LOAD of programs:

I am not being successful with performing SAVE and then LOAD. I performed a SAVE on my DOLLAR program. It shows up in the PROG directory. Next, I loaded a saved calculator state that I saved when I received the calculator. This is a clean empty state. Next, I performed a LOAD of the DOLLAR program. Everything seems to go correctly with no error messages, but the program does not get loaded into the calculator.

I am assuming that I probably am not saving the program correctly, and I'm seeing just a file name without any program attached to it.

I can recall my entire calculator state and get all my programs back at once, so I've not lost anything, but I'm wondering about the correct way to LOAD and SAVE individual programs.

Thanks for listening!

smp
Last edited by smp on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
- - - - -
jthole

Post by jthole »

Hmm, I just did the following:

Save a program to RAW
Delete it from memory
Load the program from RAW

Works here.
smp

Post by smp »

I am probably simply being dense about this...

This is my first Swiss Micros product, so I am not yet familiar with these processes.

Is it that you must put the program name in the ALPHA register, then go to SAVE the program, and you must type the program name in again during that process?

Thanks for your patience!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
jthole

Post by jthole »

We may need a different category for documentation / usage questions and issues?

What may confuse you is that you can write a file on FAT disk on the DM41X, so you must give the filename too.

Edit: on the HP-41CX you can write a program to extended memory. But the DM41X can also write a file to the FAT disk (so, not to extended memory). Therefore you must specify the filename separately.

This is what the manual states:
Used for saving program to a .raw file to FAT disk. By default to the /PROG/ directory of the FAT disk.
This is functional equivalent of SAVEP extended memory command. Only this writes to FAT disk instead of extended memory.
Note that the program name to save has to be prepared in ALPHA register.
Edit2: SAVEP / GETP works as well, of course. But then the file is stored in extended memory.
smp

Post by smp »

jthole wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:23 pm
... Edit: on the HP-41CX you can write a program to extended memory. But the DM41X can also write a file to the FAT disk (so, not to extended memory). Therefore you must specify the filename separately. ...
Thanks very much for your patience, and multiple attempts to get through to me.

I believe that I get it. You must put the program name in the ALPHA register, then go into FILE -> Save RAW Program. When you select <New File> to save your program, you must then enter the program name again. When the program name has been typed in, use R/S to finish. Your program will now be saved into the PROGS area on the FAT disk.

I have done this, and I have now successfully saved and reloaded my DOLLAR program. Yes, it is quite confusing that you have to have the program name in the ALPHA register and you must type the program name in again to actually save it, but now that I know that, I'm good.

Thanks very much for your assistance and explanation!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

I just saw this now and was going to reply, but it seems JT got you onto the right path.

Saving/Reading .raw files was patterned after the CX Extended memory process (which uses Alpha to specify the program name) since the process is analogous. The key difference is that in a CX, both the program name (in main memory) and the filename (in extended memory) use 41 characters to make up the filename, whereas on the 41X, when exporting to USB storage, you must use only 'normal' characters for the filename, since after all, it is a PC file (or Mac, etc.). So you can't specify 41-unique characters in the filename such as '%', '↑', 'Σ', etc.

I hope that explains it a bit better and why the valid characters are different.

Also, note that you do not have to specify the 41 program to save via the Alpha register; if Alpha is blank, the 41X will export the current program that the 41X is set to (seen in the 3rd line of the System Info view). So you could always [shift][GTO] "MYPROG" and then shift/Setup/File/Save RAW Program and give it a name.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100