Announcing DB48X, RPL for DM42

This area is for discussion about other applications, not fitting the other 3rd-party application areas.
48GX

Re: Announcing DB48X, RPL for DM42

Post by 48GX »

Just subscribing to this thread. This seems like the best way to get a modern day 48 with compromises I can live with.
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
jwiede

Post by jwiede »

jwiede wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:19 am
So is this building fine on UNIX (and Mac) systems now, or are there still library problems?

What's the current state of the DM42 build?
Reposting, hoping for an answer. What's the current state of the DM42 build, and state w.r.t. Linux and Mac platform builds? Are the library problems that existed for Mac platform now resolved?

Also, the "prerequisites" listing still appears to be missing lots of important details:
  • What's the min versions for gcc/g++ and clang needed to build?
  • Are there compatible version differences between different platform toolchains?
  • What other third-party libraries are needed, and which version?
  • For Qt6, does it need just the basic runtime, or also components? If the latter, which ones?
  • Are there any expectations w.r.t. build-time path and other env var configuration?
  • Are there any other expectations for submodules, headers, etc. layout needed at build time?
Not trying to be a pain, just trying to get things built for DM42, Ubuntu 22.04 x86_64 Linux, and x86_64 Mac.
DM42, DM16L, and a menagerie of HPs thanks to CAS (Calc Acq Syndrome)!
Heinrich.a

Post by Heinrich.a »

Any updates on the project?
jwiede

Post by jwiede »

So I was eventually able to get it to build properly on Mac, but I haven't had a chance to try and DL to my DM42 yet. I'm hoping to get time to do that this evening, and will be sure to report back with updates. It does seem to build properly, once all the prerequisites are present, though lots of warnings. I'll need to see how it installs/executes before I can really comment, and will comment once I have.

So to clarify my build environment:

macOS Monterey 12.6.5 on t'can MacPro.
cmake 3.26.3
arm-none-eabi-gcc toolchain 12.2.mpacbti-rel1

Basically, once toolchain's in your path, you create a build directory under the top repo dir (if not already present & empty) and then run "make", as noted in readme_build.md. I'm just not 100% convinced that's doing what I want it to do w.r.t. using Intel quad-floats, that's my main concern thus far. If you're trying to build on Linux, I can probably help there too. On Windows, I highly recommend first trying to build in WSL, not Windows proper. There's too many places where setup can go off-the-rails trying to get such a gcc-cross-compiler-based setup working in Windows proper.

UGH! I just realized I need to clarify something: I'm ONLY building the firmware version from the "issue/macosx-build" branch, not the "sim" branch, because I'm trying to build something to run on my DM42. I hadn't even looked at the "sim" branch until just now, and having done so, suspect that's what most care about. Please understand my comments are ONLY about building the "issue/macosx-build" branch of the github repo.

My apologies for any confusion created.
DM42, DM16L, and a menagerie of HPs thanks to CAS (Calc Acq Syndrome)!
c3d

Post by c3d »

I just posted the first preview release with pre-built binaries, to make it easier for people to start testing and report issues.

https://github.com/c3d/DB48X-on-DM42/releases/tag/v0.1

If you want to try it, have a paperclip handy. There is a major issue at the moment where the calculator hangs. It often happens shortly after resuming from OFF state. You can sometimes get the calculator responsive again by plugging it on USB, so it's not some kind of hard loop in the calculator, more a problem with a timer interrupt being lost or something like that.
c3d

Post by c3d »

jwiede wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:00 pm
jwiede wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:19 am
So is this building fine on UNIX (and Mac) systems now, or are there still library problems?

What's the current state of the DM42 build?
Reposting, hoping for an answer. What's the current state of the DM42 build, and state w.r.t. Linux and Mac platform builds? Are the library problems that existed for Mac platform now resolved?
Finally answering this. As far as I know, this now builds fine both on macOS and Linux (tested with Fedora). I updated BUILD.md with some of the requisites. Let me know if you still run into issue.

There is still a major problem at the moment, which is that it hangs when on battery power if displaying any decimal value (integer computations work fine, doing the decimal computations on USB seems to be OK as well). See https://github.com/c3d/DB48X-on-DM42/issues/12 for the state of that particular problem.
RJvM

Post by RJvM »

I am really impressed by this project, to the point that I will probably buy a second DM42 to be able to follow the developments.

I always liked RPL. Especially the prospect of symbolic facilities and an equation editor producing algebraic formulas from RPN/RPL input is great, imho. I once used the TI (!) Voyage 200 with the rpn shareware program and this was unbeatable, far better user experience than the Prime. Alas, my Voyage 200 is not usable anymore.

So, congratulations on a job already very well done, with a very interesting fundamental approach.

I will surely try to follow all this (in addition to my "job" documenting C47 as a team member).
Robbert Jan, MSEE, RPN user since 1976 and a collector for many years I now own all the important ones: HP-35, 45, 55, 65, 97, 19, 21, 25, 34, 10-16, 41, 42, 71, 48, 50, Prime, DM41, DM42, WP43, C47, R47; Project 47 team member https://47calc.com
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

c3d wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:17 pm
Finally answering this. As far as I know, this now builds fine both on macOS and Linux (tested with Fedora). I updated BUILD.md with some of the requisites. Let me know if you still run into issue.
For MacOS, is BUILD.md missing a:

Code: Select all

brew tap ArmMbed/homebrew-formulae
before the:

Code: Select all

brew install arm-none-eabi-gcc
or are you getting it from somewhere else?

thanks very much.
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R