Stuck in System Menu

This is where developers can exchange ideas and ask questions relevant to the DM42 firmware.

Please note that Swiss Micros staff are unable to provide answers here as a general rule. This is intended as a community-driven forum.
rudi

Stuck in System Menu

Post by rudi »

My DM42 somehow got stuck in the system menu.
I simply pressed SETUP on the calculator, and selected 7. Enter System Menu and then 4. Reset to DMCP menu
The calculator then got stuck in the menu, only activating the reset button on the back of the calculator got it back in operational state again.

https://youtu.be/CJpxR_XOb4E

System info:
DMCP v3.23 (IFC 03.15) BASE
DM42 v3.21
Free42 3.0.9
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
Peet

Re: Stuck in System Menu

Post by Peet »

It looks like there is no program loaded, try to load and run a DM42-xxx.pgm
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
rudi

Post by rudi »

Thanks for the advice Peet. Before I got a chance to try that, the calculator locked again. I tried a reset, and got this screen:

When I was fiddeling with the calculator, I noticed a ratling sound.
I opened the case, and this screw fell out !!! Could it have caused the misbehaviour?
Edit: this is the very first time I have opened the case!
I cant judge, if there's room enough for it to have gotten to the PCB and short some of the circuits?

Anyway, I had to press both reset keys simultaneusly to get the calculator back in operation again. But now I couldn't see it from Windows File Explorer. Windows thought that it was a camera and wanted to format the USB disk!!! I didn't do that off course. The DM42 showed a message, somthing like "can not access \PROGRAMS". So I decided to Format FAT from the system menu. So now my DM42 is back in business again ;-)
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Thanks for the thorough report and photos Rudi. I agree the loose screw is almost certainly the cause, though this is the first time I've heard of this. In fact often, these (2) screws are so tight, that they need to be slightly loosened to tweak keyboard feel (often needed on very early units, hardly ever on recent ones) so no idea why it was loose, but obviously a manufacturing issue, though possibly also from extensive rough handling (in the mail, etc.).

I was getting ready to suggest you format the FAT flash using the system menu, but you got to that before I got to your message. It's probably fine going forward, but keep an eye/ear out for odd behavior.

Thanks.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Funnily enough that exact same screw came loose in mine. I'd taken the machine apart previously, so more than likely I didn't tighten it enough when I put it back together. However, I tightened both more or less equally so I'm not sure why that one seems to come undone more easily.
rudi

Post by rudi »

I also re-tighted the other screw, it wasnt very loose, but I could easily tighten the other screw 1/8 revolution.
Perhaps it could be a good idea to use a little, very little, "weak" locktight?
/Rudi

Denmark