WP34S for the DM42

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Nigel (UK)

Re: WP34S for the DM42

Post by Nigel (UK) »

I've implemented most of these suggestions and uploaded new code. The LBL?-> bug is fixed; that was evil!

Specifically:
  • There is now a special alpha menu that appears and vanishes as alpha is entered and exited.
  • The test items have been re-ordered; I've included the shuffle operator in the x<>y menu.
  • SHIFT now turns HYP into HYP^{-1} as well as HYP^{-1} into HYP.
  • In alpha mode the -> and CPX keys now behave just like the LN and XEQ keys. In particular, catalogues can be opened from them.
  • The DATE and TIME functions are now working!
Thanks again!

Nigel (UK)
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Feel free to ignore this suggestion, but would it be possible to combine the three display options into a single executable? I'm not sure of all the implications of that, but I guess it would need a configuration menu somewhere, and some hard-coded constants changed into variables.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Nigel (UK) wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:25 am
I've implemented most of these suggestions and uploaded new code. The LBL?-> bug is fixed; that was evil!
Fix confirmed !
Nigel (UK) wrote:
Specifically:
  • There is now a special alpha menu that appears and vanishes as alpha is entered and exited.
  • the alpha menu vanishes effectively when alpha is exited with ENTER, but not when it is exited with EXIT, in this case it stays visible and if you reenter alpha mode you get the default menu.
  • in alpha mode the alpha menu is visible but inactive, pressing the different menu keys don't do any action
  • αMONTH is missing in the menu
Nigel (UK) wrote:
  • The test items have been re-ordered; I've included the shuffle operator in the x<>y menu.
Thanks !
Nigel (UK) wrote:
  • SHIFT now turns HYP into HYP^{-1} as well as HYP^{-1} into HYP.
Cool, this is the best way to reproduce the WP34S feature with f and g keys.
Nigel (UK) wrote:
  • In alpha mode the -> and CPX keys now behave just like the LN and XEQ keys. In particular, catalogues can be opened from them.
  • they work as LN and XEQ keys for calling the catalogues with f and h which is great as it makes it simpler to map the catalog names in the WP34S manual with the key names on the DM42. However they don't work as LN and XEQ for the primary alpha characters, which for me is not an issue as the letters E and F are printed on the keyboard for the LN and XEQ keys only.
  • and btw, regarding the F letter, as it is mapped to the XEQ key, this means that you cannot press it in a catalog to go to functions starting with F, if you press the XEQ key you execute the current function in the catalog. A minor issue I think and I don't see an easy fix for that.
Nigel (UK) wrote:
  • The DATE and TIME functions are now working!
Excellent ! Now the Stopwatch is just around the corner, before printing 8-)
However SETDAT and SETTIM return "Illegal Operation".
Nigel (UK) wrote:
Thanks again!

Nigel (UK)
Many thanks to you for this port of the WP34S for the DM42 and your speed to implement suggestions and bug fix !

I have now on my DM42 three different calculators from which I can swap as I want/need : DM42, C43 and WP34S, thanks to Swissmicros, the WP43S team, Jaco and you.
I would encourage all DM42 owners to try the WP34S. Your version is a great version providing the full 34S experience without dealing with customized overlays and stickers.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Walter

Post by Walter »

dlachieze wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 pm
I have now on my DM42 three different calculators from which I can swap as I want/need : DM42, C43 and WP34S, thanks to Swissmicros, the WP43S team, Jaco and you.
I would encourage all DM42 owners to try the WP34S. Your version is a great version providing the full 34S experience without dealing with customized overlays and stickers.
There is at least one typo in this quoted text. Please check and correct.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Walter wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:35 pm
dlachieze wrote:
Sorry for being dumb, I don't see the typo, can you be more explicit ?
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Is it school time? :roll:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Walter

Post by Walter »

dlachieze wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:18 pm
Walter wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:35 pm
dlachieze wrote:
Sorry for being dumb, I don't see the typo, can you be more explicit ?
You talk about the WP34S on the DM42, but thank the WP43S team. I guess you want to thank the WP34S team, don't you?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

I was referring to the people developing the code running on the DM42, so I thank the WP43S team for the C43 which is based on the WP43S, but you're right I should also thank the WP34S team, not forgetting Thomas Okken for Free42, and also the HP calculator team(s) that developed the HP-42S and it's predecessors the 41, 67, 65, 35... up to the HP-9100, and I'm surely missing a lot of people whose work made it possible for me to enjoy the different calculators running on the DM42 hardware. Pretty huge typo indeed.
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

ijabbott wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:44 pm
Feel free to ignore this suggestion, but would it be possible to combine the three display options into a single executable? I'm not sure of all the implications of that, but I guess it would need a configuration menu somewhere, and some hard-coded constants changed into variables.
The constants that determine the display option are used by the preprocessor at the compilation stage. What you are asking for is possible, but I'd rather avoid it (and the bugs I'd be sure to introduce!), at least for now. Meanwhile, if you have all three executable files on your calculator you can switch between them by pressing EXIT from the SETUP menu of the WP34s, and then loading another executable. This preserves all RAM contents (programs, registers, stack, alpha register) with the exception of the current menu.

Nigel (UK)
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

Thanks for the comments about the speed of my updates, but perhaps I should spend a little more time checking them! Never mind. The alpha menu now works, and exits properly with both EXIT and shift-ENTER. alpha-month was always there but its name was too long to display; I'm calling it alpha-mnth instead.

In alpha mode the -> and CPX keys allow catalogues to be opened from them when f-shifted. They don't do anything else, I don't think. But this should be fine.

I'd never thought about the problem with jumping to F in catalogue listings and using XEQ to execute a catalogue entry. I don't see an obvious answer; for now I'll leave things as they are.

I don't intend to implement SETDAT and SETTIM. To set the date and time, use EXIT to get to the DMCP menu and choose Option 5, settings, followed by Option 2 (run program). This is a little clumsy but no-one is going to do it very often!

I'm glad that other people like to have several calculators in one. I really like the DM42 hardware and although Free42 is great, variety is the spice of life! I now find that my real WP34s feels strangely light and thick, with papery keys....

Nigel (UK)