WP34S for the DM42

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Nigel (UK)

Re: WP34S for the DM42

Post by Nigel (UK) »

Some suggestions:
  • Can you mention that f CUSTOM brings up the user-defined menu?
  • Other special key sequences: f-hold-uparrow is last menu, and f-hold-E is Screenshot. I'll leave it to your judgement as to whether these are worth squeezing in. If too much is included, it wouldn't be so clear. This also applies to the points below.
  • Strictly, 3 x SHIFT is only h-shift in alpha mode. In non-alpha modes, it's no shift.
  • There's an ARROW menu!
  • In complex lock mode, some of the menus are different (f CLEAR, g X<>Y, ARROW, f PROB, f ASSIGN v2, f-hold-downarrow) while others don't exist (f BASE, f FLAGS, f STATS, g SETUP, f [integral sign], g PGRM). Would it be a good idea to delete the Complex Menu in your document, list "--> CPX" as a special key sequence, and do another similar document featuring Complex Lock Mode? I'd be happy to put that together if you could let me have your document as a template.
Nigel (UK)
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

No problem, these are good points, I will try to add them to the QRG. I will also send you my source file, I'm not familiar with the complexe mode from the WP 34C, so it's better if you document it, and as it is not part of the standard WP34S, it makes sense to have a separate QRG.

Btw, where is the ARROW menu?? I've not been able to find it...

You mentioned earlier that you have also enabled a few extra functions - Bessel and digamma functions, Factor, and Easter. Are they documented somewhere?
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

dlachieze wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:34 pm
For those who might wonder how the QRG looks like, here is a picture with my DM42 and the QRG printed on a simple paper sheet:

I like the green / white paper style Didier! But it makes me want to see Fortran or Cobol listings... :D
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

dlachieze wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 pm
No problem, these are good points, I will try to add them to the QRG. I will also send you my source file, I'm not familiar with the complexe mode from the WP 34C, so it's better if you document it, and as it is not part of the standard WP34S, it makes sense to have a separate QRG.

Btw, where is the ARROW menu?? I've not been able to find it...

You mentioned earlier that you have also enabled a few extra functions - Bessel and digamma functions, Factor, and Easter. Are they documented somewhere?
The arrow menu is what comes up when you press the arrow key - base and angle unit conversions. Maybe it doesn't really deserve a place, as in effect it is a standard part of the WP34S.

The extra functions are documented in the source files that contain them. I can put this information together in a short file.

Nigel (UK)
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm
I like the green / white paper style Didier! But it makes me want to see Fortran or Cobol listings... :D
:lol:

ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
CONFIGURATION SECTION.
SPECIAL-NAMES.
DECIMAL-POINT IS COMMA.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

akaTB wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:30 am
rprosperi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm
:lol:

Code: Select all

ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
       CONFIGURATION SECTION.
       SPECIAL-NAMES.
           DECIMAL-POINT IS COMMA.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Nice Massimo!!

It's been a long time since seeing such program listings which include elegant statements like "DECIMAL-POINT IS COMMA." which ironically must be followed by a period to be syntactically correct. Ah... the elegance of COBOL... :)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Nigel (UK) wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 pm
Some suggestions:
  • Can you mention that f CUSTOM brings up the user-defined menu?
  • Other special key sequences: f-hold-uparrow is last menu, and f-hold-E is Screenshot. I'll leave it to your judgement as to whether these are worth squeezing in. If too much is included, it wouldn't be so clear. This also applies to the points below.
  • Strictly, 3 x SHIFT is only h-shift in alpha mode. In non-alpha modes, it's no shift.
  • There's an ARROW menu!
  • In complex lock mode, some of the menus are different (f CLEAR, g X<>Y, ARROW, f PROB, f ASSIGN v2, f-hold-downarrow) while others don't exist (f BASE, f FLAGS, f STATS, g SETUP, f [integral sign], g PGRM). Would it be a good idea to delete the Complex Menu in your document, list "--> CPX" as a special key sequence, and do another similar document featuring Complex Lock Mode? I'd be happy to put that together if you could let me have your document as a template.
Nigel (UK)
I have implemented all your suggestions in the rev 0.3 of the QRG, available above.
  • Addition of f CUSTOM
  • Addition of the special key sequences f-hold-uparrow, f-hold-E, --> CPX, and also g Rv which gives R^
  • Description of the Shift sequences in both alpha and non-alpha modes
  • Replacement of the Complex menu by the Arrow conversion menu
  • plus some cosmetic changes and the addition of a border on the outer page to be used as a cutting guide
I'm also sending you the doc file by PM so that you can create a similar document for Complex Lock Mode.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Another day, another version of the QRG, now at rev 0.4 available above as usual, with the following updates:
  • New commands EASTER, FACTOR and Digamma
  • Special key sequence to enter fractions with ..
  • Slight change in the menu description for f FLAGS and f ASSIGN
  • A few other cosmetic changes
Now, looking at the different menus here are some additional observations:
  • In the CLEAR menu we have CLStk, in the PRINT menu we have ⎙Stck, it would be more consistent to have ⎙Stk instead
  • In the ARROW (conversion) menu, it may be more explicit to have an arrow in front of the the names to make clear that for ex. DEG is a conversion to degree and is not the DEG command changing the angle mode. There is already an arrow in ->HMS and HMS->.
  • In the Setup 2 menu we have LdPRG which loads a program file in flash, from where the program can be copied to RAM with PRCL. It may be useful to have PRCL in the Setting 2 menu, above LdPRG to avoid having to search it in the P.FCN catalogue, then it would make sense to have also PSTO in the Setting 2 menu above SvCPRG.
  • In the STAT menu there used to be a special key sequence to light all the dots in the display: press and release shift, and then press and hold CPX. Now that we have Power-Fit on f-CPX in the STAT menu, this doesn't work anymore. Have you moved or do you plan to move this feature to another key sequence?
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Walter wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:58 pm
IIRC, the letters 'x-hat' and ŷ were and are provided in the character sets of the WP34S (just the software of this forum can't display an 'x-hat'). It may look more professional in the respective menus.
You mean like this: x̂? :-)