WP34S for the DM42

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
dlachieze

Re: WP34S for the DM42

Post by dlachieze »

Nigel (UK) wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:38 pm
Thanks for the comments about the speed of my updates, but perhaps I should spend a little more time checking them! Never mind. The alpha menu now works, and exits properly with both EXIT and shift-ENTER. alpha-month was always there but its name was too long to display; I'm calling it alpha-mnth instead.
Alpha menu is ok now, excepted for αIP which doesn't work, it may be related to the fact it's the only command in this menu which requires a parameter.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

dlachieze wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:46 pm
Alpha menu is ok now, excepted for αIP which doesn't work, it may be related to the fact it's the only command in this menu which requires a parameter.
Fixed. The wp34s.op file was corrupted (not sure why...). Other things would have been broken too. All rebuilt from scratch now - should be fine. αIP works!

Nigel (UK)
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Nigel (UK) wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:07 pm
All rebuilt from scratch now - should be fine. αIP works!
I don't see the newly built files on gitlab :?
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

dlachieze wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:53 pm
Nigel (UK) wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:07 pm
All rebuilt from scratch now - should be fine. αIP works!
I don't see the newly built files on gitlab :?
Sorry. They are there now.

Nigel (UK)
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Well done! Great, Nigel!
It runs nicely on my DM42.

I like the display - I went for the "top" model as I care less about the original look and like the better usage of the screen real estate. But everyone for himself :lol:

I love that we can have various pgm files on DM42 now, apart from the actual DM42 (which I never use). I load WP34S (TOP version), my C43 (which mostly graces my DM42 for testing), and WP43S. I bought the second DM42 to run a stable C43 version for my day job, but I now find that the one has my bleeding edge C43 version loaded every other day, and the other has my special WP43S (with USER mode DM42 keys) also loaded fresh every week or so. Many options!
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

A version of WP34s with a custom menu is now available for testing.

You can download the program (in normal, long, and top versions) from the feature-options branch of the gitlab repository (the .pgm files are in the build/ folder, as usual).

The idea (shamelessly copied from a USER_CATALOGUE feature in the WP34s code which, so far as I know, never saw the light of day) is to have a program file containing the instructions that you would like to appear in your menu. Here's a screenshot showing an example:
This menu was generated by the following program:

Code: Select all

LBL'MNU'
1/x
Σ+
√x
LOG
NOP
LN
TAN
STO 00
∫11
END
This is how it works.
  1. First, write a program like the above. It must be called MNU. The op-codes of its first 12 instructions will be included in the user menu, unshifted first and then shifted.
    1. If there are fewer than 12 instructions the remaining menu items are left blank.
    2. If you want a blank within the menu, use NOP (in the PGM.FCN menu). A NOP in unshifted positions 5 or 6 gets replaced by ARROW or CPX respectively.
    3. If you include a command that takes an argument (such as STO 00 or \(\int\,11\)) just enter it with any argument; the argument gets removed in the menu.
  2. Then, press shift-shift-2 (i.e., g-shifted CUSTOM). This builds the user menu.
  3. To display the user menu, press shift-2 (CUSTOM). There it is! (I hope).
  4. If you display other menus, you can return to the user menu with shift-2. You do not have to rebuild it each time.
I'm intending to extend this a little by allowing menu "programs" with different names, so that multiple user menus are possible.

The versions of wp34s in the feature_options branch differ from those in the master branch in a few other ways:
  • You can now enter fractions such as 2/7 by pressing "2..7", instead of "0.2.7". Not everyone likes this, but I do!
  • There are now "significant figure" display modes. These are reached by choosing FIX from the display modes menu, and then using up and down arrows to choose SIG or SIG0 (the latter includes trailing zeros). I've changed the code for these slightly so that their inclusion does not change any pre-existing op-codes. If you don't like them, their presence will not break any programs you have already written.
  • I've enabled a few extra functions - Bessel and digamma functions, Factor, and Easter. Again, these should not affect existing op-codes.
  • I've replaced the BEG annunciator by either S:4 or S:8, to show the stack size selected.
Nigel (UK)
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

SIG works. Remember from the original, it is on double tap FIX. Was exactly there where I expected it.

Now just complex... if we can get the natural sequence... no pressure ;)

Very nice!

Thanx
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

Jaymos wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 am
SIG works. Remember from the original, it is on double tap FIX. Was exactly there where I expected it.

Now just complex... if we can get the natural sequence... no pressure ;)

Very nice!

Thanx
If you - or anyone else - wants to try a DM42 version of the WP34c calculator, you can find it here. As usual, the .pgm files are in the build/ folder, this time called wp34c.pgm, wp34c_long.pgm, and wp34c_top.pgm.

Those familiar with the WP34c should be ok. Note the "complex" menu displayed automatically when complex lock is activated (if you leave this, you can return with shift-STO). For the rest of you, there is information on the linked page and a document in the help/ folder outlining how to use the program. This document was written for use with the physical calculator, but I still found it useful! To get anything to happen you need to go into the MODES menu (g-shift +/-) and execute CPXYES. Then you can enter complex lock mode by pressing --> followed by CPX.

You can leave complex lock mode in the same way. Outside of complex lock mode, this is just a WP34s.

Image Image

There are surely still bugs to fix and changes to make. If complex numbers aren't that important to you, stick with the WP34s for now. Otherwise, enjoy!

Nigel (UK)
lrdheat

Post by lrdheat »

I just flashed to WP34 top version. I am having trouble figuring out how to use alpha to enter LBL F0, also 2 other programs that would be labeled F1 and F2. After pressing shift enter (alpha) I am expecting keys to enter letters. How do I achieve this? Another question concerns double precision. I know how to show the first 17 digits, but how do I display digits 18 through 34?

I am thrilled to have this flash, and to learn how to get comfortable with it. I have a HP 30b that is a WP 34, but the display went bad, and this is a second chance on a better platform!
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

lrdheat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 am
I just flashed to WP34 top version.
Don't forget the help file on gitlab, it explains how to find the WP 34S keyboard functions in the different menus on the DM42 as well as the new file functions.
lrdheat wrote:
I am having trouble figuring out how to use alpha to enter LBL F0, also 2 other programs that would be labeled F1 and F2. After pressing shift enter (alpha) I am expecting keys to enter letters. How do I achieve this?
After pressing the LBL key in the PRGM menu, just press ENTER (not shift ENTER) to go to Alpha mode, then press the F key and Shift 0 followed by ENTER to get LBL'F0' . No difference with the WP 34S.
lrdheat wrote:
Another question concerns double precision. I know how to show the first 17 digits, but how do I display digits 18 through 34?
The 'Show left' and 'Show right' keys are in the x<>y menu (Shift Shift x<>y), as they are f and g shifted functions of the x<>y key on the WP 34S.