RACK42 - A Spreadsheet Application for the DM42

This is where developers can exchange ideas and ask questions relevant to the DM42 firmware.

Please note that Swiss Micros staff are unable to provide answers here as a general rule. This is intended as a community-driven forum.
deetee

RACK42 - A Spreadsheet Application for the DM42

Post by deetee »

Hi!

I proudly present RACK42 - a small and powerful RPN spreadsheet application for the DM42 hardware.

For more information have a look at https://github.com/zooxo/rack42
or see a short video at https://youtu.be/_lt0Zoqh0og

Thanks in advance for any comment, suggestion or bug to make RACK42 faster, more versatile, stable and intuitive.
Particularly I'm planning to expand the mathematical power of RACK42 (ie conditions, probabilities, hyperbolics, logic, base) and improve the handling (ie copying cell ranges, fixed cell references, more graphic charts) - so I'm curious which features are needed most to build in.

Finally thanks to Jim Williams who persistently demanded such an application for years - and finally gave me the idea and courage to face a challenge to program a spreadsheet application from scratch.

Regards
deetee
rprosperi

Re: RACK42 - A Spreadsheet Application for the DM42

Post by rprosperi »

2 Comments:

1. Bold move!

2. Nicely done! :)

I haven't installed it yet, but will to check it out, but the video does a good job of explaining the core UI and feel. I look forward to seeing this, and will load it on a dm42 to take to HHC to show around.

Thanks for sharing it here, and thanks to Jim for asking for more...
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Required

Post by Required »

Thank you for this.
I’m impressed.

Will install it today and play around with it!
I’m the Required one.

42S: 3117S03858 | DM42: 08455 | DM32: 00166 | 15C CE: 00085
ThirdPoliceMan

Post by ThirdPoliceMan »

Hello, deetee

First:
Thanks for the effort to make such an application.

Second - first Bugreport:

There is no way to save a Sheet.

Wether by pressing "Down" nor by pressing "Save" on the Menu.

Allways produces a hard fault.

Attachments
photo_2022-09-03_17-18-37.jpg
photo_2022-09-03_17-18-37.jpg (72.87 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
deetee

Post by deetee »

ThirdPoliceMan wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:29 pm

There is no way to save a Sheet.
Hello - thanks for sharing your experience.

That's strange - and I can't reproduce this fault right now.

Working with the USB disk of the DM42 is sometimes a little bit tricky. RACK42 uses the USB disk in 3 ways:
[*] Save/load user settings (RACK42/set) when leaving the application (Shift SETUP) or run/open it (from DMCP)
[*] LOAD/DOWN(load) an existing spreadsheet file (*.s) from folder RACK42
[*] SAVE/UP recent spreadsheet to file "new.s" in the folder RACK42

If the folder RACK42 doesn't exist only LOAD creates this folder. The other two ways don't create a folder - I will correct this in the next version (thanks to lead me to this).

Please try:
[*] Load a file (LOAD or DOWN) - even if there is no file. But that creates the folder RACK42 (please check this with your PC). Then try the other options (check again what happens to your USB disk with/in folder RACK42).
[*] Or you can create the folder RACK42 with your PC and try the options above.

Are there any other users with this problems and how can I reproduce (or solve) this bug?

Regards
deetee
ThirdPoliceMan

Post by ThirdPoliceMan »

Hello, deetee,

First try:
a) No directory RACK42 exists
b) Load the RACK42-001.pgm
c) Press LOAD or DOWN creates the directory RACK42
d) Shift SETUP creates a set-File
e) Run Program RACK42-001.pgm
f) Press SAVE or UP creates a new.s-File (with 0 Bytes) and then produces a Hard Fault

Second try:
a) Create an empty directory RACK42 with PC
b) Load the RACK42-001.pgm
c) Press LOAD or DOWN finds the directory RACK42
d) Shift SETUP creates a set-File
e) Run Program RACK42-001.pgm
f) Press SAVE or UP creates a new.s-File (with 0 Bytes) and then produces a Hard Fault

It is possible to load the created new.s-File
There is no matter if the DM42 is running on Battery or via USB.
deetee

Post by deetee »

Hello ThirdPoliceMan!

Thanks for precisely analyzing my 'folder therory' - at least I could fix that SAVE, LOAD an SETUP create the folder RACK42 if it doesn't exist.

But unfortunately I still can't reproduce the fault - does this occur to any other user?
But it seems that this doesn't regard a missing RACK42-folder.

Maybe you can try loading an example (I added some in the 'examples folder' of my github-repository) - does the fault occure when loading?

And can you listen if saving and fault produce a short acoustic beep? - because after (successfully) SAVE, LOAD and SETUP rack42 produces a short beep. So I can see if your fault occurs while saving or in some code after saving - this kind of fault message occurs normally if the code tries to access memory out of restrictions (ie string position greater string length).

Regards
deetee
deetee

Post by deetee »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:56 pm

I will load it on a dm42 to take to HHC to show around.
Dear Bob!

thanks for promoting RACK42 at the HHC. It's a great honor for me, that my software participates the HHC 2022 (this weekend in Nashville?).

Just now I put a recent version of RACK42 on github (https://github.com/zooxo/rack42) named RACK42-BOB.pgm.

It has an improved calculator mode (toggle with MODES in edit mode) (shows X and Y in big digits) and a lot of more mathematics (press XEQ in edit mode)(hyp, probability, conditions, statistics, conversions and even a solver is on board). The documentation of these new features isn't made yet.

Thanks again and good luck
Regards
deetee
ThirdPoliceMan

Post by ThirdPoliceMan »

deetee wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:05 am
Hello ThirdPoliceMan!

Thanks for precisely analyzing my 'folder therory' - at least I could fix that SAVE, LOAD an SETUP create the folder RACK42 if it doesn't exist.

But unfortunately I still can't reproduce the fault - does this occur to any other user?
But it seems that this doesn't regard a missing RACK42-folder.

Maybe you can try loading an example (I added some in the 'examples folder' of my github-repository) - does the fault occure when loading?

And can you listen if saving and fault produce a short acoustic beep? - because after (successfully) SAVE, LOAD and SETUP rack42 produces a short beep. So I can see if your fault occurs while saving or in some code after saving - this kind of fault message occurs normally if the code tries to access memory out of restrictions (ie string position greater string length).

Regards
deetee
Hello, DeeTee,

please excuse the late response. The error has been found. I will describe the cause shortly.
deetee

Post by deetee »

ThirdPoliceMan wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:21 pm
The error has been found. I will describe the cause shortly.
Great - I'm really relieved. What caused the error?

Regards
deetee