Landscape DM42?

General discussion about calculators, Swiss Micros or otherwise
mezoganet
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm
Location: Tours, France

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by mezoganet » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Why not proceed as done with the DM10L and ask : are you interested by a DM42L ?

SwissMicros could then go ahead in production according to number of potential buyers.

Anyway, and to paraphrase John Lennon a loooooong time ago : « Don't you know that you can count me out ».

Ok, it was a song about Revolution, not about an HP42s/DM42 Voyager format :mrgreen:
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42 and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr

keithdalby
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by keithdalby » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:56 pm

It wasn't quite as simple as that though; there were issues with the prototype that necessitated a larger screen. We've suggested some workarounds here, but we've heard nothing back so I assume they're not likely to be developed further.

e12g
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by e12g » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm

I' do not know all the design issues with the voyager form factor. If the issues were related to the soft keys, did SM consider using a capacitive film on the display to implement the soft keys?

Thomas Okken
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by Thomas Okken » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Although I am rather indifferent to the whole landscape question, I will admit that it offers two extra keys, which can be put to good use:

Image

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by Walter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Thomas Okken wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:20 pm
Although I am rather indifferent to the whole landscape question, I will admit that it offers two extra keys, which can be put to good use: ...
The DM42 features 43 keys. Voyagers feature 39 keys. Where are the "two extra keys"? Which "good use" are you talking of? :?
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

cdmackay
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by cdmackay » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Presumably Thomas meant as compared to the 42s which has only 37 keys :)
Cambridge, UK
41CL, 12C/15C, DM15/16, 71B, 17B, 28S, DM42, 48GX, 17bII+, 50g (& newRPL), 35s, 30b (WP 34S), Prime G2
& Casios, Rockwell 18R :)

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by Walter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:43 pm

cdmackay wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm
Presumably Thomas meant as compared to the 42s which has only 37 keys :)
Thanks. May be, may be not. Anyway, the second question is definitly open still.
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

Thomas Okken
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by Thomas Okken » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Walter wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:43 pm
cdmackay wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm
Presumably Thomas meant as compared to the 42s which has only 37 keys :)
Thanks. May be, may be not. Anyway, the second question is definitly open still.
"Maybe, maybe not"? Are you really insinuating I don't know how many keys are on the DM42? That's across the line between being an annoying smartass and downright insulting.

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by Walter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:14 pm
Walter wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:43 pm
cdmackay wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm
Presumably Thomas meant as compared to the 42s which has only 37 keys :)
Thanks. May be, may be not. Anyway, the second question is definitly open still.
"Maybe, maybe not"? Are you really insinuating I don't know how many keys are on the DM42? That's across the line between being an annoying smartass and downright insulting.
Come on, Thomas. I was only insinuating that Calum can't know what you meant. Nor can I. We all can only read what you wrote on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:20 pm, just you can know what you meant. Thus, because I don't know, I wanted to learn from you about your "two extra keys" and "their good use", two questions you didn't answer yet. May I kindly ask you again? Thank you in advance for enlightening us.
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

Thomas Okken
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Landscape DM42?

Post by Thomas Okken » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:36 am

Ummm, maybe you might want to kindly take a look at that picture in my post, which, in your rush to point out the dumbest possible interpretation of what I wrote, you apparently didn't have time to inspect...

Post Reply