What is the next planned hardware release?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Walter

Re: What is the next planned hardware release?

Post by Walter »

sgleysti wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:34 am
Walter wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:44 pm
Let's not forget that SwissMicros has produced the WP43 pilot batch - tools for printing keys, bezel, and glass are available (should be at least), the program for laser engraving its rear side as well. Thus, resuming such work will be technically easy. The rest is only software.
It seems to involve more than just software,...
Alas even old jokes aren't understood by everybody.

And while we're at it: WP43's got a very capable and efficient SW team still and again, so development progresses continuously. Please watch releases and compare.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
anetzer

Post by anetzer »

sgleysti wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:34 am
It seems to involve more than just software
Seems true, even from afar.

But then again I do not understand how a DM10, a DM41X or a DM32 is sustainable for SM but producing a WP43 styled machine is not?

I would buy a WP43 styled calc with bare DMCP in a blink, because I deeply trust the WP43 team to deliver.

It was deemed acceptable to buy a bare PC and pay for Windows.

Compared to that paying for the WP43 handbooks makes me scream: Take my money!
sgleysti

Post by sgleysti »

anetzer wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:14 pm
But then again I do not understand how a DM10, a DM41X or a DM32 is sustainable for SM but producing a WP43 styled machine is not?
My guess would be volume of sales. There is clearly an existing market for the old HP calculators, and there are certain fixed costs to setting up manufacturing runs and so forth. But I don't really know.
anetzer wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:14 pm
I would buy a WP43 styled calc with bare DMCP in a blink, because I deeply trust the WP43 team to deliver.

It was deemed acceptable to buy a bare PC and pay for Windows.

Compared to that paying for the WP43 handbooks makes me scream: Take my money!
The WP43 owner's and reference manuals appear to be freely available at the present time: https://gitlab.com/rpncalculators/wp43/ ... aster/docs.
anetzer

Post by anetzer »

sgleysti wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:12 pm
The WP43 owner's and reference manuals appear to be freely available at the present time
The software also seems to be available and develop quite nicely.

There was even a batch of WP43‘s produced.

I am just pointing to a possible diplomatic solution:

Why does Swissmicros not continue to offer the hardware, but with DMCP only?

Those with interest in the platform will find a way to flash appropriate software.
chris185

Post by chris185 »

I think you can load and run a wp43.PGM on the DM42 hardware. You can even put an appropriate bezel on it. The problem is that the keys don’t match up.

That’s overcome by the C47 fork — but then you have to live with the basic arithmetic keys on the “wrong” side :-)
anetzer

Post by anetzer »

chris185 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:42 pm
That’s overcome by the C47 fork
I guess most here are aware of the C47. And I believe we can agree that it does not really need to be „produced“ by SM: A simple keyboard bezel on a DM42 and flashing will do.

The WP43 on the other hand - preferably based on the DM32 innards -would have the operators on the right side…
pm42

Post by pm42 »

anetzer wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:55 pm
I am just pointing to a possible diplomatic solution:
They hinted at why and unless they change their mind, what is the point of inventing "solutions" without addressing the real problem?
BTW, reading a certain contribution in this thread, the problem seems alive and well. And obvious too.

anetzer wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:37 am
The WP43 on the other hand - preferably based on the DM32 innards -would have the operators on the right side…
There is no right side, only preferences.

The C47 has operators the same side as the HP-42 and Voyager series which are amongst the most revered and impressive calculators.
The WP43 has operators the same side as the HP-65, 67 and 41C which are amongst the most revered and impressive calculators.

Which one is right? The oldest one HP used for 10 years or the most recent one which has been in use for 40 years?
pauli

Post by pauli »

The WP43 changed the operator order which has really confounded any muscle memory I had for operators on that side.

It's kind of moot: SM won't be producing the WP43.
pm42

Post by pm42 »

pauli wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:30 am
The WP43 changed the operator order which has really confounded any muscle memory I had for operators on that side.
This must be in the category of "my ego is more important than anything so I'll do such things: no gain, a lot of trouble for everybody but I'm sure I'm right".
Another reason to stick with C47: the dialog with team members is real and they do not feel the need to belittle others.

pauli wrote:
My point exactly.
anetzer

Post by anetzer »

pauli wrote:

Ah yes, muscle memory. I guess we have to blame just about any machine up to, say, the HP-41.

But you are perfectly right: It‘s a mere convention.

And yes, I do understand that one does not want to willingly invite quarrel in a business setting.