C47 Classic single shift, replaces C43 on DM42

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Bill K. - USA

Re: C47 Classic single shift, replaces C43 on DM42

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Thank you for the thorough explanation and especially the diagram, Jaymos!

I could see CLRMOD being helpful inside programs, to clear the entry mode right at the start, so including it in the FNCS/CLR lists might, I believe, be useful.

And I now understand to look for the "A" in the upper right, to identify which menus are menus and which are catalogues. (I did already know about the alphabet scrolling.) If the "A" were also shown with the up-/down-arrows at the left-side of the top row of catalogue listings, that would mean a user would only need to look in one place rather than two to identify a scrolling catalogue from a cycling menu.

My comments, as always, are the reactions that occur to me regarding the UI, in case they're helpful, coming from someone who isn't intimate with the workings of the calculator. I'm not trying to demand changes or anything, just providing feedback.
Last edited by Bill K. - USA on Sun May 28, 2023 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris185

Re: C43 continuous improvement --> C47 Classic single shift, replaces C43 on DM42

Post by chris185 »

burkhard wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:21 pm
Would it be a good idea to put a prominent notice on classic43.com to redirect visitors to the new 47calc.com?
I presume the former site is basically archive material at this point, and if that's the case, we don't want people thinking they arrived at the final stop, do we?

I consider the recent name change a bit lamentable, but going forward, it should be clear to new folks what's now obsolete and as well what the current path now is. It's important to strive to minimize confusion and keep the project as accessible and clear to new users as possible.

burkhard
I concur. As a new user, I got “bitten” by this: I first downloaded and installed C43 108_08p from 2022-12-31. (Not a big deal though).

NOTE: There is indeed now such a prominent notice.

However, there’s still room for confusion :-)

The “docs” link isn’t actually a link yet.

The “faceplate” pdf causes my (fully updated) iPhone to keep attempting reloads — ie. it can’t display the file. Also, my slightly old Kyocera Laserprinter chokes on the pdf … is the PDF perhaps not as efficiently coded as it could be?

The calc47 page provides a link to GitLab. Is this where the actual latest development version is to be found? The docs directory only contains the C43 bezel (from 31.12.2022) and code which only references WP43?

Multiple readme files and instructions refer to C43 instead of C47. Couldn’t a recursive grep find everything?

From the zipfile:

It might be useful to rename Documentation/Keyboard/C47\ Keyboard\ layout.pdf to use underscores instead of spaces — in line with all the other filenames.

If you also rename Tree\ structure/C47_Menu_tree.pdf as Tree_structure/C47_Menu_tree.PDF

then you can create a single documentation PDF file using (on unixy systems):

pdfunite */*.pdf C47.pdf

As is common in this thread, this is just a report of my first impressions.

I’d like to express my admiration for all the work (WP43 and C47) and in particular for how suggestions have been dealt with in this thread.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:59 pm
Thank you for the thorough explanation and especially the diagram, Jaymos!

I could see CLRMOD being helpful inside programs, to clear the entry mode right at the start, so including it in the FNCS/CLR lists might, I believe, be useful.

And I now understand to look for the "A" in the upper right, to identify which menus are menus and which are catalogues. (I did already know about the alphabet scrolling.) If the "A" were also shown with the up-/down-arrows at the left-side of the top row of catalogue listings, that would mean a user would only need to look in one place rather than two to identify a scrolling catalogue from a cycling menu.

My comments, as always, are the reactions that occur to me regarding the UI, in case they're helpful, coming from someone who isn't intimate with the workings of the calculator. I'm not trying to demand changes or anything, just providing feedback.
Thanks Bill,
I will wait for some more comment about the use of CLRMOD. In the mean time I will put it in the Catalog, so it can be found under FCNS if you really need it.

The use of additional real estate between the softmenu and the X-register is hard to do, as that little arrow area already clashes with a long X-register, which I don't like, and more stolen space there will clash more. So I am not in favour of adding things there.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:35 pm
Thanks Bill,
I will wait for some more comment about the use of CLRMOD. In the mean time I will put it in the Catalog, so it can be found under FCNS if you really need it.
That'll work, thank you!
Jaymos wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:35 pm
The use of additional real estate between the softmenu and the X-register is hard to do, as that little arrow area already clashes with a long X-register, which I don't like, and more stolen space there will clash more. So I am not in favour of adding things there.
I certainly understand that, having designed some UIs myself. But I now know what a catalogue is, thanks to your explanation. (An alternate idea, BTW, would be to replace the up/down arrows with "CAT" or an ellipsis or some other symbol/text, if people found that helpful.)
Jaymos

Re: C43 continuous improvement --> C47 Classic single shift, replaces C43 on DM42

Post by Jaymos »

chris185 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 4:05 pm
However, there’s still room for confusion :-)
The “docs” link isn’t actually a link yet.
One of these days, ...
The “faceplate” pdf causes my (fully updated) iPhone to keep attempting reloads — ie. it can’t display the file. Also, my slightly old Kyocera Laserprinter chokes on the pdf … is the PDF perhaps not as efficiently coded as it could be?
The file is in pretty high resolution due to requests from this forum. Maybe try an iPad of PC to download and print.
The calc47 page provides a link to GitLab. Is this where the actual latest development version is to be found? The docs directory only contains the C43 bezel (from 31.12.2022) and code which only references WP43?
Yes, the "master" version on GitLab is controlled to always be compilable and workable. There are also feature branches as we add or improve things. You are welcome to join in reading or contributing. If you want to add a feature or improve texts, feel free to do and submit a Merge Request. Help is always welcomed.
Multiple readme files and instructions refer to C43 instead of C47. Couldn’t a recursive grep find everything?
There are even more references to C43 in the Gitlab pages and also to WP43 in the source. I realise it may be confusing and it will be dealt with at some point. I revised the main README.md file on GitLab to acknowledge the historical names being interchangeable used in the source code.

We take note of the suggestions on text file names.
pdfunite */*.pdf C47.pdf
This works wonderfully! A link to the last release's documents combined is here: https://47calc.com/downloads/2023-04-23-C47.pdf. In the next release we will add this combined file as well.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:39 pm
...An alternate idea, BTW, would be to replace the up/down arrows with "CAT" or an ellipsis or some other symbol/text, if people found that helpful.
Any other comments from other users (or developers) on this?
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
chris185

Post by chris185 »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 8:36 pm

We take note of the suggestions on text file names.
pdfunite */*.pdf C47.pdf
This works wonderfully! A link to the last release's documents combined is here: https://47calc.com/downloads/2023-04-23-C47.pdf. In the next release we will add this combined file as well.
I’d suggest leaving out the “tree” view from the combined doc? (e.g. by naming it .PDF instead of .pdf) It doesn’t really fit on an A4 page :-)
Last edited by chris185 on Mon May 29, 2023 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 8:40 pm
Bill K. - USA wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:39 pm
...An alternate idea, BTW, would be to replace the up/down arrows with "CAT" or an ellipsis or some other symbol/text, if people found that helpful.
Any other comments from other users (or developers) on this?
Note this would only be for displaying Catalogues, not Menus, so that users would know that the three rows at the bottom of the display scroll by one line at a time (not three) and that Alpha-mode jumps are now active. (So maybe "α" [the alpha symbol] instead of the up & down arrows.)
pm42

Post by pm42 »

Simple question: how can I enter °, the degree sign on a C47?
This is a really nice calculator but not the easiest to get comfortable with.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

pm42 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:24 pm
Simple question: how can I enter °, the degree sign on a C47?
This is a really nice calculator but not the easiest to get comfortable with.
There is no degree sign in the Math text menu, and there should be one.
I will add one.

Why do you need it?
If you have a tagged angle, in degrees, and add it to a string, or add a string to it, then the degree sign automatically is in the string.

Either way, the workaround route to get the sign (until I add it) is: Go to FBR (font browser) and look for the sign you need. Degrees is 00B0 on the FBR table. Convert that to decimal, which is 176 and put in X. Use the [x->𝑎] command to get the character. Store somewhere and use, or directly from X add to it, or add it to a string.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa