C47 Classic single shift, replaces C43 on DM42

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Bill K. - USA

Re: C47 Classic single shift, replaces C43 on DM42

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:02 pm
Bill K. - USA wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:20 pm
I get the calculator in fraction mode, and then I don't know how to get the calculator out of it. It's not intuitive for me.
BTW, .d is the official what to get out of it.

But your point is a good one, I will make it clear fractions too - it is intended to "get out of jail".
Thank you!

I tried it again a few minutes later and then figured out the .d on my own: the first time I tried cycling ab/c and tried # (which in the U.S. often means "number"). I didn't look over far enough, I think, or when I did I saw .ms and .d and thought they were just for going back and forth with days.min.sec.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Bill K. - USA on Mon May 22, 2023 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:46 pm
Our new draft program is progressing slowly and will have more flexibility in various user customs for number formatting.
This looks fantastic, Jaymos!

Thanks very much to you and to all of those who are also working on this!!
Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:46 pm
Our new draft program is progressing slowly and will have more flexibility in various user customs for number formatting.

20230521-23100200.bmp
I can't wait to use this new version.
Many thanks.

  Optimot : The ⌥ keyboard layout optimized for French and English (ŵïþ ʃʉŋ 𝕂åʁɒꝃțɛɹṩ).
chris185

Post by chris185 »

Enthusiastic newbie here, so sorry for the breeches of netiquette:-/

I saw some posts about rearranging of labels and that there were guidelines to be followed (and deadlines that have passed?) but I can’t find them now, and this is so much fun that I thought I’d give it a go anyway :-)

Would it have made sense to rotate the following blue labels?

(y ^ 1/x) to # [1/x] {next to y^x}
# to angle [STO] {number entry ~ store/enter}
angle to ‘i’ [SIN] {angle ~ trig function}
‘i’ to (y ^ 1/x) [R down] {i π - as god and Euler intended}
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

chris185 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm
Enthusiastic newbie here, so sorry for the breeches of netiquette:-/

I saw some posts about rearranging of labels and that there were guidelines to be followed (and deadlines that have passed?) but I can’t find them now, and this is so much fun that I thought I’d give it a go anyway :-)

Would it have made sense to rotate the following blue labels?

(y ^ 1/x) to # [1/x] {next to y^x}
# to angle [STO] {number entry ~ store/enter}
angle to ‘i’ [SIN] {angle ~ trig function}
‘i’ to (y ^ 1/x) [R down] {i π - as god and Euler intended}
I am sorry but you missed the bus for those comments. And although your suggestions are interesting we considered every suggestion except moving #, which we would not consider as it is part of the the set of 4 blues on the top row.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

A minor issue: when long pressing Enter, the final "x" from "Complex" doesn't get erased when "CPX" cycles up. (But "NOP" erases it.)

Also, when long-pressing a button, the first alternative seems to display for a noticeably shorter period of time compared to the initial and third options. For instance with x<>y, LastX, STK, the LastX option is displayed for a shorter period of time than the other two. This makes it harder to gauge when to release the button. "Ready . . . . . Set . . Go . . . . ."
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:27 pm
A minor issue: when long pressing Enter, the final "x" from "Complex" doesn't get erased when "CPX" cycles up. (But "NOP" erases it.)

Also, when long-pressing a button, the first alternative seems to display for a noticeably shorter period of time compared to the initial and third options. For instance with x<>y, LastX, STK, the LastX option is displayed for a shorter period of time than the other two.
"x" fixed, and the timing on the long presses still needs to be addressed.
Last edited by Jaymos on Wed May 24, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Thank you, Jaymos.

I knew timing lengths with the long-press option was still a pending issue, but I wanted to point out the imbalance just in case it hadn't been noticed. Also, the cycling through the options goes much quicker with the top row of keys than it does with all of the other keys on the keypad, at least in my configuration.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Also noticed that the CLRMOD command is not listed in the CLR menu or in the CAT listing.

A second comment: some three-row menus use the up and down arrows to scroll through them one row at a time (CNST, CAT); some use the up and down arrows to scroll through them 3 rows at a time (MODE, INTS, BITS, ...). (Are CNST and CAT the only two menus that scroll one line at a time?) Some indication as to which is which would be useful, so the user doesn't have to scroll a line and then visually check to see what has changed. (I find myself doing this: I scroll once, then I look to see by how far the menu options have shifted, so I know what I'm dealing with before I even start looking at the items in the menu. It's a wasted step.)
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 3:56 pm
Also noticed that the CLRMOD command is not listed in the CLR menu or in the CAT listing.

A second comment: some three-row menus use the up and down arrows to scroll through them one row at a time (CNST, CAT); some use the up and down arrows to scroll through them 3 rows at a time (MODE, INTS, BITS, ...). (Are CNST and CAT the only two menus that scroll one line at a time?) Some indication as to which is which would be useful, so the user doesn't have to scroll a line and then visually check to see what has changed. (I find myself doing this: I scroll once, then I look to see by how far the menu options have shifted, so I know what I'm dealing with before I even start looking at the items in the menu. It's a wasted step.)
CLRMOD is meant to be a keyboard only function, therefore not in the places you mention. Alpha mode also has a CLA function (longpress backspace) which also is keyboard only.

The difference that you mention is the difference between a CATalogue and a MENU. These are the six menus in CAT. The catalogue mode is indicated by the arrow, "A" as an alpha mode indicator. When you press any key the alpha selection mode (ASM) starts, which is indicated by the underline below A (see arrow), which then fast forwards the menu to the first two letters.

Example, in FCNS, you press C, the A gets underlined (see arrow) and ASM starts. It jumps to the first "C" function on F1, and if you press the second key "F" (within 3 seconds (as ASM cancels and the underline disappears in 3 seconds)) to further fast forward to the first function starting with CF in the menu. Note the visual feedback of the letters you typed, C and F, which are in the selection buffer (for three seconds), appears where the second arrow is showing top right. Alternatively you can shift the catalogue up and down one line at a time.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 18.23.35.png
Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 18.23.35.png (79.51 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa