X! (factorial) on C43 - where is it hidden?

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Jaymos

Re: X! (factorial) on C43 - where is it hidden?

Post by Jaymos »

Doing the documentation is a massive task, that is the full documentation and not just differences of some kind.

Firstly, the documentation that I started 4 years ago, i.e. the differences document has not been worked on for two years I think. Now there immediately lies the problem: As we progressed and improved many of those original menu layouts documented do not exist in the same way anymore and it is a massive task to sit and update documentation again and again.

This leads me to the process Robbert took on. Robbert took over the then stagnant documentation last year and started to remake it. But Robbert's point of departure is that we are NOT using stagnant images from the simulator anymore - we are creating tables which essentially are live, connected to the code base in an updatable way, so that we do not get into the dead end again of documentation that is outdated due to being stagnant.

A mouthful, but simply that he is starting the documentation not from some text narrative, but from tables of what buttons do and what softmenu elements do. That is powerful, as as the function descriptions you expect remain with the actual layouts and most importantly, we have a function index to get to the necessary menus and key descriptions.

The bulk of the documentation at this point is the backbone of this process which is linked spreadsheets for the available functions (whether on key or menu or both), which (1) gives a reasonable replica of what you will see on the calculator keyboard and menus and (2) will be updatable to the code and (3) will provide references/links where available/possible to public sources.

We do not plan to do a narrative section of the documentation soon. Some narrative sections will (have) to be done and examples will be made, which is the reason I am making those PDF's that you refer to for some practical examples to include; but I've learnt the lesson, i.e. that PDF pictures do not change with code and that makes the older (DIFF DOC) examples difficult to use.

But for the most, now, the menus and key functions are being documented. At the same time, while documenting, we are revisiting the menus (and one- and two-shift layouts in the simulator's KEYS menu) in the same process and refining where needed. We actually are using this opportunity to question every menu and improve where needed.

You do have to appreciate that this task will take some time. But we therefore will expand the notes mentioned within each release's zip file. It may not be overwhelmingly comprehensive at the moment, but we will get there. Again, this is an open source and free project and documentation collaborators are welcome to jump in and help to do what they individually do best.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

If I understand correctly, the PROB menu is under construction for an indefinite period, and is currently presented in a temporary version.
Still, it’s confusing not to find the factorial function there. When using myMenu, there's little reason to look for the factorial in the HOME menu. I think that's the only place I didn't look! :lol:
I can see SEED going above RAN#, RANI# one place to the left, and the factorial taking its place.

I also hope that the binomial law will soon find its place in this menu. If I've understood correctly, we place the probability of success in I, and the number of trials in J, and we can easily obtain the probabilities of success after n trials with the functions proposed.

  Optimot : The ⌥ keyboard layout optimized for French and English (ŵïþ ʃʉŋ 𝕂åʁɒꝃțɛɹṩ).
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Pyjam wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:39 pm
If I understand correctly, the PROB menu is under construction for an indefinite period, and is currently presented in a temporary version.
That is correct

Still, it’s confusing not to find the factorial function there. When using myMenu, there's little reason to look for the factorial in the HOME menu. I think that's the only place I didn't look! :lol:
I can see SEED going above RAN#, RANI# one place to the left, and the factorial taking its place.
The temporary PROB menu will disappear for the proper one. So let's leave the temporary stuff. The proper one is here: https://47calc.com/documentation/combin ... page_1.pdf

I also hope that the binomial law will soon find its place in this menu. If I've understood correctly, we place the probability of success in I, and the number of trials in J, and we can easily obtain the probabilities of success after n trials with the functions proposed.
You can also find x! in CAT FCNS "x." And in HOME of course.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

All right, boss. ;)

  Optimot : The ⌥ keyboard layout optimized for French and English (ŵïþ ʃʉŋ 𝕂åʁɒꝃțɛɹṩ).
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Jaymos wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:27 am
Pyjam wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:39 pm
That is correct
The next release will have all the restricted functions put back. We (me, Martin & Pauli) solved that issue this week. 😁
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
pauli

Post by pauli »

Jaymos wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:30 am
The next release will have all the restricted functions put back. We (me, Martin & Pauli) solved that issue this week. 😁
At least until the UI bloat requires it anew.

Pauli
Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

Jaymos wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:30 am
I'm glad to hear it. Yesterday, I bought a book on statistics and probability to refresh my knowledge. I'll be able to do all the exercises. 🤓

Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

Jaymos wrote:
ASSIGN 𝑥 ! to [f][−]. Who needs PRINT? 8-)

toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Pyjam wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:06 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Right now, no one needs (or can use) PRINT :( I'd use it if it were available, though!
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

toml_12953 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:23 pm
Pyjam wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:06 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Right now, no one needs (or can use) PRINT :( I'd use it if it were available, though!
The next release will have PROB menu back with factorial exactly there where it belongs.

PRINT has a function which I use a lot and that is to Print All Registers (to file). I used it just last week to fix Pyjam’s Sig 4 problem: to check 40 display formats a few times with different real numbers, I wrote a program to input a Real, then run a DSZ loop from 40 to 0 and multplied the said input number by 10, converting the output to a string, and using STO-> to store 40 strings to Registers 50-90, which I then ‘printed’ to disk, and which I could inspect at leisure on my pc to find the conditions for the bug, which I found that way.

The reason for mentioning it is that there are no other good and quick ways to get C47 to output up to 100 numbers in registers to a pc.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa