C43 based on DM41x ?

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Dani R.

Re: C43 based on DM41x ?

Post by Dani R. »

burkhard wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:24 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:30 am
burkhard wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:26 am

But maybe I interpreted things wrong? Would someone please clarify the current roadmap?
Let me try clarify: SM did not choose another branch to manufacture, but they cancelled the production process at the WP43 pilot stage. The Dev-team regrouped after that, because of that. SM needs to be approached again to make a community developed calculator and the C43 project will approach SM when the time is right. Until then, retrofitting options (for using C43 on SM hw) are possible and the calculator (C43 in progress) as such is usable.
Very clear—thank you, Jaco!

A couple of thoughts:

Rest assured that your thoughts, and others, are already being discussed.
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
Over_score

Post by Over_score »

burkhard wrote:
2. Please recognize that you guys who have been super-deep into development for years on this have grown accustomed to the multi-push single shift key. But consider how well a pirate with a peg leg can move around after a lot of practice on it. Most people would prefer two legs nonetheless! For most new users, especially those who have already spent decades on HP calculators, that multi-push single shift is a cumbersome workaround and an impediment to entry.
If I may be a tad cheeky (please don't take offense). I think you love it because it's your baby, even though it's ugly as sin. :lol:
I must say that I was using since the beginning (end of 2017) my DM42 converted to WP43 with overlay and sickers, and I found the use of these 2 keys (f and g) very convenient. I think I'm entitled to say that the WP43 software (not the documentation) is largely my baby. For the past 3 weeks, I have converted my WP43 to C43 (never did it before) and I must say that in less than an hour, I got used to the double, triple and long clicks, and I find this way of doing things great. I find it very natural, and in fact, better than the 2 shift keys.
DM42 SN00284 & SN03835 running C47, HP34C, HP41CV, HP42S, HP35s, WP34S, HP Prime
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Over_score wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:46 pm
burkhard wrote:
2. Please recognize that you guys who have been super-deep into development for years on this have grown accustomed to the multi-push single shift key. But consider how well a pirate with a peg leg can move around after a lot of practice on it. Most people would prefer two legs nonetheless! For most new users, especially those who have already spent decades on HP calculators, that multi-push single shift is a cumbersome workaround and an impediment to entry.
If I may be a tad cheeky (please don't take offense). I think you love it because it's your baby, even though it's ugly as sin. :lol:
I must say that I was using since the beginning (end of 2017) my DM42 converted to WP43 with overlay and sickers, and I found the use of these 2 keys (f and g) very convenient. I think I'm entitled to say that the WP43 software (not the documentation) is largely my baby. For the past 3 weeks, I have converted my WP43 to C43 (never did it before) and I must say that in less than an hour, I got used to the double, triple and long clicks, and I find this way of doing things great. I find it very natural, and in fact, better than the 2 shift keys.
It is honestly comforting to hear a mainstay such as Over_score say this about our ugly Norwegian baby ;-) Thx.

Respecting what burkhard and others say though, best is really to try it out. If you don't like the single key, head over to KEYS and press C43AltA. This two shift layout has been built into the KEYS menu and the f & g keys are already underlined in yellow and blue underneath COS and TAN, see below.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 21.38.40_result.png
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 21.38.40_result.png (6.23 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
pm42

Post by pm42 »

BTW, the more I'm using the C43, the more I like it.
One thing I like especially is the keyboard layout: keeping the classic DM42/HP-42S helps a lot.

When I look at the 43S layout, I wonder "why but why another totally different layout so different from any classic HP, the ones we are so used to up to the point where they are hardwired in our brains".
pauli

Post by pauli »

I'm rapidly warming to the C43 as well. The familiarity of its 42S basis means my fingers know where to go a lot of the time.
burkhard

Post by burkhard »

pm42 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:46 am
When I look at the 43S layout, I wonder "why but why another totally different layout so different from any classic HP, the ones we are so used to up to the point where they are hardwired in our brains".
Precisely. I like the right-side operators and other familiar elements as well. That's why I'd someday like to see 2 normal nicely-molded-in-color stickerless shift keys in the place shift keys generally belong on a "classic" HP (and WP-34S as well). I did try using the multi-push single key for a couple of weeks, but hated the experience and am key-stickering it at the moment in order to keep my blood pressure in check. :-) The rest of it I rather like, though!

Oh well, I can see that alea iacta est.
H2X

Post by H2X »

burkhard wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:19 am
Precisely. I like the right-side operators and other familiar elements as well. That's why I'd someday like to see 2 normal nicely-molded-in-color ;) stickerless shift keys in the place shift keys generally belong on a "classic" HP (and WP-34S as well). I did try using the multi-push single key for a couple of weeks, but hated the experience and am key-stickering it at the moment in order to keep my blood pressure in check. :-) The rest of it I rather like, though!
Try the C43AltA as Jaco mentioned above, and let us know what you think. ;)
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
burkhard

Post by burkhard »

H2X wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:24 am
burkhard wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:19 am
Precisely. I like the right-side operators and other familiar elements as well. That's why I'd someday like to see 2 normal nicely-molded-in-color ;) stickerless shift keys in the place shift keys generally belong on a "classic" HP (and WP-34S as well). I did try using the multi-push single key for a couple of weeks, but hated the experience and am key-stickering it at the moment in order to keep my blood pressure in check. :-) The rest of it I rather like, though!
Try the C43AltA as Jaco mentioned above, and let us know what you think. ;)
Sigh. I already did... multiple times above. I LIKE IT. I only wish C43AltA were mainstream so that "someday" a produced version would have proper molded keys. That's rather the whole point of my thread. Key stickers are OK for pre-production, but IF these are ever produced, I would vastly prefer if C43AltA were the native layout so it would have real molded-color keys and not rely upon stickers nor thin bands of color around COS and TAN.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but the salient essence of my opinion seems to lost. Until it's actually produced, it's a non-issue, but I know how momentum builds behind a certain design, so I was attempting to mention my user experience now. But from the responses, it's evident that the investment already made in the multi-push shift means it's not going to change. I surrender. White flag is up. Next topic. Lock the thread.
H2X

Post by H2X »

My apologies for being slow. Dani and Jaymos have said what needs to be said, I think. I have no knowledge of any horse, dead or alive.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?