C43/C47 bezel expected when?

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
rudi

Re: C43 bezel expected when?

Post by rudi »

Thanks for the tip Dan. I have a laminator and will try that.
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

I have a laminator and attempted this, but the template delaminated as I was cutting out the holes. I ran it through the laminator again afterwards (on a lower heat setting, because resending something through on a high heat setting--I know from past painful experience--tends to crinkle the lamination), and that sort of helped, but then the silly thing delaminated again when I was working to double-tape it down. I've proved one thing: I stink at arts & crafts.

Guess I'll be waiting for the bezels from China...
Dan Simpson

Post by Dan Simpson »

Hmm...
I don't know what to tell you. Mine has been in daily use for a month now and still looks exactly like it did on the day I made it.
Maybe we are using different lamination material?
My Collection: HP-55, HP-67 (Teenix Mod), HP-15C, HP-16C, HP-41CV, HP-41CX, SY41-CL, DM41X, DM42, HP-42S, HP-48G, HP-71B, HP-75C, HP-86B.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

I used a heavier mil thickness than you did.

And when I cut out the holes I used a "self-healing" cutting board underneath the template that, as I pressed with my knife, gave a bit under the pressure, which started the delamination process.

And when I attached the template to the calculator with removable double-sided tape, that finished the delamination process (especially as the first time I lowered the template onto the keypad it wasn't quite square, so it was pinching/pinning some of the keys, requiring me to unseat the template and try again). I thought about using a spray-on glue, but I was afraid it would come off on the calculator face.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Okay, I tried again and the results are much better this time: (this was like my fifth attempt to make a template)

--I used a thicker paper (150 lb or so).
--I did not laminate it.
--I cut out the holes with a harder board underneath: I used the cardboard from a legal pad, and that worked well.
--I used a black marker to outline the holes from behind, to cover up the glaringly white sides of the cuts in the white paper.
--I sprayed the overlay with Krylon Acrylic (3 quick coats).
--I sprayed the backside with a spray adhesive. (no monkeying around with double-sided tape)

I'm now a very happy camper! (When I remove the template, I can always use a Stick-um Remover (Goo-be-Gone) if there's residue.)

My wife has a Cricut cutter: when I get some time, I'm going to try cutting another template with that. If I can align the printout properly, I believe I can get much better cuts.
Template 3.jpg
Template 3.jpg (236.06 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Walter

Post by Walter »

This looks very nice indeed! Happy camping!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Just an update - I received the long awaited Chinese C47 bezel samples in the post and re-posted it to the other contributors on the project, so we can consolidate all comments back to China.

I can already say that it needs another round of samples (as opposed to an instruction to manufacture), as the samples are not suitable for production as yet. But it is not far off and as far as I can see (pending comments from the others), the actual design probably needs no change - it is production issues to be sorted out.

To confirm, the design is still the same as rev ii, as per the last circulated DIY card (March 12, 2023), i.e. https://47calc.com/downloads/2023-03-12 ... e-card.pdf.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:10 pm
To confirm, the design is still the same as rev ii, as per the last circulated DIY card (March 12, 2023)
I assume you know that the two template images in the link are not identical to each other, the first one having a blue and orange underscore on Cos and Tan. It's a minor difference of course. Which version, BTW, is being produced as the bezel?
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:53 pm
Jaymos wrote:
To confirm, the design is still the same as rev ii, as per the last circulated DIY card (March 12, 2023)
I assume you know that the two template images in the link are not identical to each other, the first one having a blue and orange underscore on Cos and Tan. Which version is being produced as the bezel?
The are supposed to be identical, and the lines were "cut off" by light blue cut-line on the lower image.

However, 'design" here meant the placement of the labels on the final graphic is the same as that on rev ii in the PDFs, not the actual design including pixels, lines, shades, etc. and the reason for that is that the production cad files are different to these PDFs and the printing process too. There are more minute differences and those lines were anyway removed and replaced by dots.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
avosough

Post by avosough »

Jaymos wrote:
Just an update - I received the long awaited Chinese C47 bezel samples in the post and re-posted it to the other contributors on the project, so we can consolidate all comments back to China.

I can already say that it needs another round of samples (as opposed to an instruction to manufacture), as the samples are not suitable for production as yet. But it is not far off and as far as I can see (pending comments from the others), the actual design probably needs no change - it is production issues to be sorted out.

To confirm, the design is still the same as rev ii, as per the last circulated DIY card (March 12, 2023), i.e. https://47calc.com/downloads/2023-03-12 ... e-card.pdf.
Hi Jaymos,
Could you share a photo of the fit and finish of the sample bezel? I believe this a plastic part and no longer metal?
What are the plans for eventual distribution? Do you anticipate a pre-order period?

Thanks