35-like layout on DMCP

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Linus_Sch

35-like layout on DMCP

Post by Linus_Sch »

My confused brain somehow decided that I did have time for a layout mockup of this idea. It's like a 35, but wider. And it mostly makes sense. Or does it?
Linus_Sch wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:33 pm
I have an idea for a DMCP calculator that may have made more sense if I had it a year or two ago. It hits two birds with one stone, a simple scientific calculator and mostly blank keys. A certain 50-year-old.

I'm not sure if a blue enter would be feasible, and it is certainly not easy to venture into putting legends onto blue keys. I think I'd make the top right key and column left of the numbers blue, and put legends on no keys at all, only on the faceplate. If it were up to me :D

Functionally I'd go for no shifted functions other than arc, y^x, 10^x, x^2, display modes... then \(\leftarrow\) in addition to Cl \(x\), finally deg/rad mode. In order of descending priority. Am I out of keys yet?

If not I'd like XEQ and PRG, keystroke programming with zero programming features. Essentially a macro key, just so I can temporarily put something like \(1-x\) or \(\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\) as a one key operation. No loops, no labels, not even up and down keys to edit the program. Just use the great screen and limit the program steps to what can be reasonably displayed (and be reasonably non-frustrating with extremely limited editing). I'm fairly sure Cl \(x\) is useless in such a macro so that key could clear the macro in programming mode while \(\leftarrow\) deletes the last step.
ls35.pdf
(64.72 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
RJvM

Re: 35-like layout on DMCP

Post by RJvM »

I like it and I think the HP-35 is extremely beautiful, so I would certainly buy such a new calculator, esp. with some sky blue keys. I still remember seeing the 35 for the first time in the early seventies, wow!
Robbert Jan, MSEE, RPN user since 1976 and a collector for many years I now own all the important ones: HP-35, 45, 55, 65, 97, 19, 21, 25, 34, 10-16, 41, 42, 71, 48, 50, Prime, DM41, DM42, WP43, C47, R47; Project 47 team member https://47calc.com