Best way to try out WP43C/WP43S on hardware

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
packrat

Best way to try out WP43C/WP43S on hardware

Post by packrat »

Just wondering how most people are using WP43S/WP43C. In particular I'm wondering whether folks are sim-only or have been using picture-on-the-side or overlay stickers etc to enable using it on a DM42, which I'm considering.

Thanks
B>
ben.titmus

Re: Best way to try out WP43C/WP43S on hardware

Post by ben.titmus »

packrat wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:09 pm
Just wondering how most people are using WP43S/WP43C. In particular I'm wondering whether folks are sim-only or have been using picture-on-the-side or overlay stickers etc to enable using it on a DM42, which I'm considering.
I use the WP43S both as a simulator and on the DM42. When I first started using it I made an overlay and stickers for the keys. This takes quite a bit of time to do, but makes it much easier than a picture on the side. Since I made my overlay and stickers the keyboard layout has changed a few times and I haven't updated my calculator, so I use a picture now. It's definitely much easier to use with overlay and stickers and I'd recommend that. Note that the WP43S layout is highly unlikely to change now so you won't have the problem of having to redo it.

If you wanted the C43 then you only need the overlay, not the stickers (the keys being the same as the DM42), so that saves a bit of work.

The way I made the overlay and stickers (probably not the best way) was to print two copies of the WP43 layout file one on sticker paper and one on thin card (it has to be quite thin). Then carefully cut the appropriate bits. Note the layout file has two sides, but the left one doesn't look quite right so I just use the right. I'm sure someone else has done a better job than me!
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

ben.titmus wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:24 pm
packrat wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:09 pm
I use the WP43S both as a simulator and on the DM42. When I first started using it I made an overlay and stickers for the keys. This takes quite a bit of time to do, but makes it much easier than a picture on the side. Since I made my overlay and stickers the keyboard layout has changed a few times and I haven't updated my calculator, so I use a picture now. It's definitely much easier to use with overlay and stickers and I'd recommend that. Note that the WP43S layout is highly unlikely to change now so you won't have the problem of having to redo it.
I wonder if it would be possible to print something flexible that sits above the keys, like the HP 41C keyboard protector?
RJvM

Post by RJvM »

Printing the keyboard of C43 (or presumably WP43 for that matter) on photo paper works surprisingly well, but a real C43 overlay (with holes for the keys) would be ideal of course.
Robbert Jan, MSEE, RPN user since 1976 and a collector for many years I now own all the important ones: HP-35, 45, 55, 65, 97, 19, 21, 25, 34, 10-16, 41, 42, 71, 48, 50, Prime, DM41, DM42, WP43, C47, R47; Project 47 team member https://47calc.com
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

RJvM wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:48 pm
Printing the keyboard of C43 (or presumably WP43 for that matter) on photo paper works surprisingly well, but a real C43 overlay (with holes for the keys) would be ideal of course.
Yes, I gave up on cutting holes.
Until the real plate is available, I use pieces of card OVER the keys.

I just updated my template with the last published simulator snapshots and pasted it into a Pages template.
See on the download page under "Documents and Media": https://classic43.com/Classic43/Links_a ... loads.html

Print this on photo paper - in fact the colours are better at a real commercial photo printer. My Epson photo printer prints the same file too dark.
Cut it out, cut 4-5 cm of 4-5 mm wide strips of 3M Scotch Magic Tape (the opague type of easily removable tape) and stick the paper card to the sides of the DM42.

As Robbert says - it works surprisingly well - until the proper templates. Just don't try and use the card if not properly attached with tape - if it shifts it will just frustrate you.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.