DM48 Still Wanted

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
drbarnack

Re: DM48 Still Wanted

Post by drbarnack »

Unless there are any lawyers on this forum (I can't imagine the Venn diagram between HP-48 users and lawyers!), maybe what's needed is a Kickstarter to hire a lawyer to investigate the current status of the HP48 ROMs and negotiate open-sourcing them from whoever currently owns them.
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

In order to contact them and for this to be even considered by HP, one would need some credentials. Perhaps SM stand better chance than just a simple fan.

It would indeed be interesting to know for sure about the HP48 series ROMs, or as I mentioned, the HP49 non-CAS code.

Hasn't HP outsourced what was handled by the calculator division though? That would make it less likely for anyone to care answering, but as you say, there's nothing to lose by trying.
Linus_Sch

Post by Linus_Sch »

Has anyone looked into how hard it would be to port Emu48 to DMCP?

I mean, if the community does the software part to make it a 48 anyway, SwissMicros could sell the hardware with some other software. Plus42 might make the most sense. I guess 43 (with operators on the right) is pretty much a good fit as soon as you make the extra row available for the user to define, while the DM32 software might be even easier for SwissMicros to adapt and use.

But my best guess is that SwissMicros intends to make a from-scratch DM48 software out of their DM32 software. Alas, I would be surprised if this can be done in any less than many years.
gopper

Post by gopper »

redglyph wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:28 am
Unfortunately the case and keyboard were terrible.
Great layout and functionality, but yes, very poor quality... my HP48 died because the keyboard. The problem was easy to solve, but it was nearly impossible to open and reassemble the case properly (unless you had very specific tools).

About the ROM, some years ago I read (sorry, I can't remember the source, but it was discussed in this forum) that it can be used, but for free, so can't be used to build and sell HP48 clones. That's the reason for so many free emulators. I really don't know the situation nowadays.
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

gopper wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:05 pm
Great layout and functionality, but yes, very poor quality... my HP48 died because the keyboard. The problem was easy to solve, but it was nearly impossible to open and reassemble the case properly (unless you had very specific tools).
You mean your HP-49g? I'm confused now.

As for the HP-48, I still own the HP-48SX I used at uni. I suppose I'm generally careful, but I've used it a lot and it never failed.
gopper wrote:
About the ROM, some years ago I read (sorry, I can't remember the source, but it was discussed in this forum) that it can be used, but for free, so can't be used to build and sell HP48 clones. That's the reason for so many free emulators. I really don't know the situation nowadays.
Have you read the latest posts? ;)
gopper

Post by gopper »

redglyph wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:31 pm
gopper wrote:
You mean your HP-49g? I'm confused now.

As for the HP-48, I still own the HP-48SX I used at uni. I suppose I'm generally careful, but I've used it a lot and it never failed.
Sorry for the misunderstanding (my fault).... I mean HP48. A lot of HP48G/GX units had keyboard issues because bad contacts due to some case strength loss. In ebay you can find a lot of units with the mark "keyboard issue" or with a rubber band between the screen and the keypad (the quick solution).
gopper wrote:
Have you read the latest posts? ;)
Yes, but unless I missed something (like H48 instead of HP49 ;) ) the situation is far to be clear... now the HP48 ROM is some kind of abandonware, with a blurry legal status.
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

gopper wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:57 am
Sorry for the misunderstanding (my fault).... I mean HP48. A lot of HP48G/GX units had keyboard issues because bad contacts due to some case strength loss. In ebay you can find a lot of units with the mark "keyboard issue" or with a rubber band between the screen and the keypad (the quick solution).
No, it's no problem, it was just confusing because I wasn't expecting to hear such problems about HP48 devices, so I wasn't sure it was a reply to the HP49 or the HP48 ;)

Sad to hear that about the G model, and that yours died because of this. The beginning of the end for HP, maybe.
gopper

Post by gopper »

Too sad, because otherwise the calculator was an excelent machine.
redglyph wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:25 pm
The beginning of the end for HP, maybe.
Yes, I really think so...
48GX

Post by 48GX »

drbarnack wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:09 am
Unless there are any lawyers on this forum (I can't imagine the Venn diagram between HP-48 users and lawyers!), maybe what's needed is a Kickstarter to hire a lawyer to investigate the current status of the HP48 ROMs and negotiate open-sourcing them from whoever currently owns them.
The last thing I read of consequence was HP used copyrighted material from other companies/pepople/things and some of those are not around to "okay" anything. Who knows as this is the internet.

I still believe let us users load the ROM. Why not make a modular calculator. I can order the parts I want to make the parts I need. I believe not putting an extra row of keys on the 42/32 platform is an oof.
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
jwiede

Post by jwiede »

Agreed. Even if it was just better equipped for running some newRPL equivalent, having the extra row would definitely open options that do not currently exist in terms of offering options to RPL users.
DM42, DM16L, and a menagerie of HPs thanks to CAS (Calc Acq Syndrome)!