DM42 vs HP Prime or (waiting for) WP43S

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
gour

DM42 vs HP Prime or (waiting for) WP43S

Post by gour »

Hello,

I still own HP15C and during my university years was using it and programming extensively. Then I moved to HP28S which was also used and programmed (UserRPL only), but I donated it to some student anticipating no further needs for such calculators.

Finally, I bought and used HP49Gp (mostly Urania), but with not much programming...

Now I'd like to have calculator as helper when I'm doing manual calculation in my (Vedic) astrology studies and not wanting to use either desktop machine (Windows program running under Wine on my Linux) or some light Android app.

One of the natural options is DM42 which has, as far as I can tell, excellent build quality, it's fast, using non-rechargeable battery, can be used or is recognized as USB media storage.

Another option would be HP Prime which seems not to be so RPN-oriented, has CAS which I do not need, not supported (afaict) under Wine any longer, but it is very fast, offering HP PPL and Python programming environment.

I understand that it's not feasible to code complete application (for Vedic astrology) on the calculator when there are much capable desktop/mobile apps, but using calculator without the need for computer/internet along with pen/paper is, sometimes, more suitable for such meditative tasks. ;)

DM42 brings many 'pros' to the table being a simpler solution, but I just wonder - could not find exact numbers - about its storage capacity to be able to discern what can be done with it, iow. whether one can just code some simple routines or it is capable to produce larger program.

E.g. https://homepage.univie.ac.at/Georg.Zotti/ was an application with the "total of about 500kB programs and data" and my HP49Gp has ability to use external SD card.

One presentation I watched recently had some benchmark results giving execution time of 112s to HP49Gp, 6.1s to DM42 and 0.187s to G2 Prime...

Probably I do not need all the speed of G2 Prime, but more concerned with the storage capacity of DM42 in regard?

What is the plan for WP43S memory-wise? I understand it will have more functions, but, afaik, the same CPU chip or not?

Is it advisable to wait for it (for my use-case) or it is still a few years far from production?