HP calculators might be back...

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Olaf

HP calculators might be back...

Post by Olaf »

Hi all.

I just read in an "alternative forum" about the transfer of HP calculators business to two licensed companies (Moravia Consulting & Royal Consumer Info Products), paving the way for new HP RPN models. This revival is off course exciting, but....
If the IP transfer is complete (all firmwares / source for current/past HP models), this could also be an explanation for SM not communicating anymore about the "may 21 announcement". HP firmware being not "abandonware" anymore (who knows?).
What are your thoughts about it ?

Hoping to have some news from Michael at some point, to confirm that both businesses will run ok in parallel, everyone having the option to invest in swiss calcs or czech calcs, at the end ;-)

Regards,
Olaf
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HP48G, DM42 (# 276), a slide rule and a C compiler :-)
Walter

Re: HP calculators might be back...

Post by Walter »

What said "licensed companies" have sold so far leaves a lot of space for improvement designwise IMO. Their products look very similar to other CCC (according to said forum: cheap Chinese crap) - there's nothing putting them apart. Let's hope HP will exert some positive influence on them in this matter. Else SM and new "HP" will play in totally different leagues.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
amafan

Post by amafan »

My guess is they will be pretty selective about which HP calculators they market, if this is true. Probably focusing on the value and education markets. The only interesting calculator play outside the graphing calculator products has been the application specific calculators made by Calculated Industries. The HP algorithms don’t help much there.
DM42 (#6476), DM41X (#458), DM15, 12 - HP 12, 17BII, 35(2), 45, HP 27S, 28S, 30B, 41CV, 41CX, 42S, 48S, 35S, HP10bII+, 12C PLAT
I may have a problem!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

For sure, we know nothing about the future products (if any ) and what they will do with the current offering. Their page lists the usual hp web store items. (Prime, financial & Casio-like algebraic).

The big news for me is the end of the status quo for the hp calculator division. Since years this business was in zombie mode, and now hp chose to let it go in someone else’s hands, in the open.
The French (and hp48 user) in me hopes that Cyrille is in a safe situation following this move.

If the « new Hp » provides hp35s-type calcs with buggy ROM, I fully agree that Swissmicros won’t be challenged by this « newcomer ».

Next months will tell.
CalcFreak

Post by CalcFreak »

All this talk has me fantasizing about an updated 48 with a color screen, modern processor, a terabyte of onboard storage, bluetooth connectivity...

I'll stop now. :lol:
Walter

Post by Walter »

CalcFreak wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:37 am
All this talk has me fantasizing about an updated 48 with a color screen, modern processor, a terabyte of onboard storage, bluetooth connectivity...
...and a 50Ah power bank. :mrgreen:
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

The first company to produce an updated hp48/50 will get my money. Upgraded screen, onboard storage (64mb), usb-c and current ARM speeds. As for the ROM, some evolutions but I don’t ask too much, it was already very good. And the overall look of the hp48 (which has just the right keyboard layout and the nicest « pro » look and feel : I would prefer a calc for pros/scientists and not a colorful non-rpl/non-RPN toy -I see you Prime-) ). Only hobbyists would purchase this, education would require python and fun colors to get people interested to maths (pity). So I guess the future of mainstream calc will be PRIMEsque and those who want to get serious and austere will have to rely on SwissMicros platform anyway.
chr yoko

Post by chr yoko »

Does those guys have a factory ? an engineering dept ?
Their calculators could be fully subcontracted to suppliers in China, including the design, programming etc .... only maybe the choice of the keyboard and case colors is custom designed on photoshop or paint.

On the other hand SM is developing its own platforms , hardware and software included ....
My greatest wish is that SM is developping a new platform with a real HP-esque keyboard with separate double shot keys so to get back the feel of a genuine good old HP keyboard. Tooling will be expensive ? : Why not crow-funding ? ; assembly labor is expensive ? : how about supplying, as an economy option, the keys & board for a DIY assembly by the user ?
DM41L SN01063 - DM42 SN05658 - DM15L SN20438 - DM41X SN00173 - DM16L SN04449