SwissMicros calculators "currently unavailable" on Amazon

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Say_It_With_Math

SwissMicros calculators "currently unavailable" on Amazon

Post by Say_It_With_Math »

I noticed roundabout the beginning of July that all SM calculator models that I had seen on Amazon [US] (the DM15L, DM16L, DM41L and DM42) changed their status from being "In Stock" to "Currently Unavailable". The new status continues to this day. I just checked Amazon Canada, France and Germany, and it is the same situation. Although the models continue to be listed for sale on SwissMicros' website.

If you had not bookmarked the items, they will not come up in new searches, not even if you check-mark the box for "include out-of-stock" items, for some or all of the items, depending on the particular Amazon country.

On the DM42 product page, Amazon helpfully lists a "Similar Item To Consider" is an Amazon Basics 2 Line Scientific Calculator for $8.99, which might be what Bezos or one of his guests might have carried with them had they needed it on their recent rocket trip. While the DM42 earns an average Customer Rating of 4.6 stars, the Amazon Basics calculator earns just 4.5 stars, showing that of the two the latter is indubitably the inferior calculator.

Because I discovered the SwissMicros calculators through an Amazon suggestions list while browsing the HP calculator product pages some months ago, I am curious about this turn of events. Anyone in the know about this change and able and willing to share? Or failing that, to speculate? ;)
EM41

Re: SwissMicros calculators "currently unavailable" on Amazon

Post by EM41 »

I never buy anything trough amazon, just buy from swissmicros directly https://www.swissmicros.com/products
If you can add it to your cart it is in stock. Delivery is usually fast, to the Netherlands in 3 or 4 days, to the US a bit longer depending on customs.
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

I don't know about SwissMIcros in this regard, however I do know other small companies that suspend their sales on Amazon while they go on vacation, as Amazon requires prompt sales fulfillment, else they can be denied the right to continue selling their products; Amazon wants their customers to have prompt service. This could be the case here as well, but just a guess.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Say_It_With_Math

Thanks for the replies, folks.
EM41 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:11 pm
I never buy anything trough amazon, just buy from swissmicros directly https://www.swissmicros.com/products
If you can add it to your cart it is in stock. Delivery is usually fast, to the Netherlands in 3 or 4 days, to the US a bit longer depending on customs.
Good to know you and other folks have had good experiences buying directly from SwissMicros. If SM calculator stock does not re-appear on Amazon, I guess I would buy directly from SM. My shopping habit is the opposite of yours; for over twenty years, almost everything I buy is via Amazon (food, clothing and gasoline excepted).
rprosperi wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:44 pm
I don't know about SwissMIcros in this regard, however I do know other small companies that suspend their sales on Amazon while they go on vacation, as Amazon requires prompt sales fulfillment, else they can be denied the right to continue selling their products; Amazon wants their customers to have prompt service. This could be the case here as well, but just a guess.
That is a good point, which did not occur to me. I guess time will tell whether this is the case.
Say_It_With_Math

Happy that the SM calcs offered by seller SM are now back in stock on Amazon (US). The only change is a bump in the shipping/handling fee, presumably due to the change in shipping carrier to one that offers electronic tracking of shipments. I view the electronic tracking as a positive development, and I am one of those that requested SM for it.