Shipping time from Switzerland to California when should my DM12L arrive?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
dylanmitchell

Shipping time from Switzerland to California when should my DM12L arrive?

Post by dylanmitchell »

I ordered a Model DM12L on Wed 6/30/2021 and received notice it shipped out the same day Wed 6/30/2021. I expected it to arrive within a couple of weeks but am still waiting for my order. How long do shipments usually take from SwissMicro to USA/ California? I usually get orders from England in a week or two but know Switzerland may be different. I did e-mail SwissMicro on Tue 7/13/2021 re tracking number and status and sent a follow-up message this afternoon Monday 7/19/2021 re status. No tracking number was provided when it shipped so I can't follow it until I get the tracking info from SwissMicro.
ctrclckws

Re: Shipping time from Switzerland to California when should my DM12L arrive?

Post by ctrclckws »

Sadly, SwissMicros does not provide a tracking number.
There is no point in asking for one.

Your package has probably gotten to JFK Airport in New York and is proceeding through customs clearance before being handed over to the USPS. At that point, it will probably be trucked across country so at least 5 days of travel for that.

I am in NJ, and have waited over a month for shipments from SwissMicros.

When the limited release DM10L was available, it took so long to get the first, that I assumed it was lost in transit, and ordered a second. The second order arrived, and then the first. We could request a specific serial number on those, so I knew which was which.

This pandemic is still having effects on shipping transit times.
DM10, DM10L: 00031 / DM11, DM11L: 00112 / DM12, DM12L: 02074
DM15, DM15L: 11069 / DM16. DM16L: 02001 / DM41, DM41L: 00859
DM41X: 00036ß / 00181 DM42: 3108 / 6084 WP43: 0032
reavy

Post by reavy »

FWIW, I have requested a tracking number once in the past from SM for a particularly large order. Adding the tracking number doubled the shipping cost in that case for me. There is also the risk that including a tracking number will actually slow down your shipment because reasons. The USPS doesn’t reliably scan the correct barcode on the package. I remember my package was never marked delivered by the Swiss Post but was marked delivered by the USPS… using a different and incorrect number read off an unrelated customs barcode on the package.
Walter

Post by Walter »

I know I can only speak about experience in a relatively small country though with about a quarter of the US population, but postal packages simply get lost here almost never. If they do then they do it with or without tracking number, so such a number is of limited value here IMO. Also postal deliveries from other countries of Europe arrive very reliably. We've collected some experience by receiving and sending quite many parcels in recent years.

I sometimes wonder what you do differently in the US.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Walter wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:40 am
I know I can only speak about experience in a relatively small country though with about a quarter of the US population, but postal packages simply get lost here almost never. If they do then they do it with or without tracking number, so such a number is of limited value here IMO. Also postal deliveries from other countries of Europe arrive very reliably. We've collected some experience by receiving and sending quite many parcels in recent years.

I sometimes wonder what you do differently in the US.
When our postal workers aren't shooting each other (it was so common at one point we even created a name for any shooting rampage, "going postal") they deliver the mail if they feel like it. Our OCR equipment is old and cranky. It can't handle the volume of mail we have. At my house, there are multiple postal workers who bring the mail on various days. When one woman is on duty, we get our mail on time and accurately. The others seem to have gotten their job at the Post Office because they're too dyslexic to work at McDonalds. We do pay the lowest rates of almost any country in the world but the old saying seems to be true: "You get what you pay for."
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
elgarak

Post by elgarak »

ctrclckws wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:12 am
Sadly, SwissMicros does not provide a tracking number.
There is no point in asking for one.

Your package has probably gotten to JFK Airport in New York and is proceeding through customs clearance before being handed over to the USPS. At that point, it will probably be trucked across country so at least 5 days of travel for that.

I am in NJ, and have waited over a month for shipments from SwissMicros.

When the limited release DM10L was available, it took so long to get the first, that I assumed it was lost in transit, and ordered a second. The second order arrived, and then the first. We could request a specific serial number on those, so I knew which was which.

This pandemic is still having effects on shipping transit times.
USPS doesn't need five days to cross the country.

While living in Florida, I ordered something from Washington (state) Saturday morning, and it arrived Monday evening...
ctrclckws

Post by ctrclckws »

Regarding USPS, it varies.
DM10, DM10L: 00031 / DM11, DM11L: 00112 / DM12, DM12L: 02074
DM15, DM15L: 11069 / DM16. DM16L: 02001 / DM41, DM41L: 00859
DM41X: 00036ß / 00181 DM42: 3108 / 6084 WP43: 0032
dylanmitchell

Post by dylanmitchell »

Thanks, I'm hoping it's just a delayed delivery rather than lost in transit. Books and CDs I've ordered from the UK and Europe can take a few weeks or more but usually come via media mail. It's easy to forget you've ordered a CD or book and have a pleasant surprise package a few weeks later. Electronics are different especially if they have lithium-ion. Anything lithium-ion even a calculator with a tiny coin cell battery gets a big warning label and usually goes via ground.

USPS was on unsteady financial but it's gotten worse with Covid, mandated retirement funding, and the new postmaster Louis DeJoy's slash and burn approach. You'd think Covid and the increase in deliveries would boost their revenue but they've mismanaged the response. USPS relies on revenues from postage and other fees and doesn't get tax money. Look at Amtrak rail vs rail in other countries. USPS and Amtrak are arguably a public services that should be supported. But they're not. Although COVID-19 has choked off the USPS revenue in recent months, factors that arose well before coronavirus have contributed to the unsustainability of the Postal Service's financial situation for years.
pwarden42

Post by pwarden42 »

I ordered my DM16L at the end of May and it took four weeks and 1 day to arrive (East Coast US). In your situation, I'd probably expect to wait another week or two of nail-biting anticipation. I was advised by Godwin immediately after shipping that current transit to the US was 4-5 weeks and that turned out to be dead on.
DM16L, HP 15C, WP 31S, HP 33S (RIP/Broken Enter Key), HP 50G, HP 48G (x2), TI-86, TI-85 (RIP/Accidental Death and Dismemberment)
dylanmitchell

Post by dylanmitchell »

Thanks. Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival and testing out the keyboard and display. 4-5 weeks from Switzerland to Southern California is reasonable, I'm just impatient. I mostly use excel for calculations and have a 12c but there's something satisfying about using a well-made and designed product like the DM12L. Financial calculations haven't changed much in the last 40 years and there's little that can't be done on a DM12L/ 12C.