May 2021 Speculations

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
WillMarchant

Re: May 2021 Speculations

Post by WillMarchant »

I enjoyed Bob's talk but I didn't notice an estimated release date. Did I just miss it?
pbnelson

Post by pbnelson »

I gotta say, I've been checking in on this forum every few weeks since spring, hoping for a release date. Friday I was delighted! to see Bob Prosperi's new announcement video from the HHC; it made for an indulgent bout of hobby TV-watching over the weekend.

With the regrettable demise of the HP-35S (have you seen the used prices on eBay lately !?!?), I can see the DM32 becoming the new go-to, basic, RPN scientific calculator. If only the price could come down to under $50 ? In the meantime, sign me up for one as soon as it's available.
pyridine

Post by pyridine »

I appreciate the fact the SwissMicros chose the first generation color scheme of 32Sii (same as 48S, and 32S) and not the violet/green one... :oops:
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

At the moment, no public BETA period is planned or expected, however that could change in the future, and if so, an announcement will be made here on the SwissMicros Forum.

As noted in the presentation, the DM32 will likely have a quite thorough set of help files, more extensive than prior models since it is expected the DM32 will appeal to a wider and somewhat less 'expert' audience where such help is often handy.

When ready, it's possible the content may be released for review to a set of interested expected buyers; like the testing, keep an eye on this Forum for announcements.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the DM32, it is appreciated! :)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
reavy

Post by reavy »

Following on Bob’s comment above, why would I want an HP32 clone if I already have an HP42/41 series calculator? Was the HP32 simply more common in its heyday compared to the 41 and 42 and therefore a 32 clone is expected to attract a wider audience, or is the 32 more functional in some way?
Walter

Post by Walter »

An HP-32S and 32SII was significantly less expensive than an HP-42S at its time. With respect to their keyboards, the HP-42S and HP-32S were cleaner than the HP-32SII. The DM32 copies the HP-32SII.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

Question of preference I suppose.

I find the keyboard of the HP-32Sii / DM32 easier and more practical than the 42, because you don't have to deal with all those annoying menus to find basic operations - as said previously, it's not only the cost of opening a menu but the cost of switching between them (with the extra annoyance of some menus automatically closing like PROB for instance).

It does limit the amount of operations, and it makes for a somewhat more crowded keyboard but the role of the 32 was a simpler, multi-purpose calculator and it perfectly fits the bill.

The cost may be a factor, but it doesn't matter here since it's purely nostalgia-driven.
vgoudreault

Post by vgoudreault »

I too am wondering why there is no tentative release date. I sort of want to get in line, but there is no line yet.

Can anyone with the applicable experience and memory of past products venture a guess?
How many weeks or months were there before their official release when the DM41X or DM42 were at a similar point to where the DM32 is at now?
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

Is it comparable to previous products? The new hardware seems to be fine, but I understood that the HP32Sii simulator code had to be written from scratch. For the DM42 there was a base with Free42, and the other models were emulated so they had a base too.

Of course they have more experience now, but each product has its share of unknown. By experience I can say this is very hard to predict. We should at least be in the beta to have a good idea of the overall stability.
Linus_Sch

Post by Linus_Sch »

I think redglyph is correct, this is a rather large software and it is very hard to predict when it will be ready for release. So no date yet - not even speculation, at least from me.