May 2021 Speculations

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
H2X

Re: May 2022 Speculations

Post by H2X »

Walter wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:54 am
... in the sequence addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division bottom up as it was and is taught in elementary school.
FWIW, the operator sequence −, +, ×, ÷ top down is - for me - an ergonomic-ish version of the elementary school hierarchical one.

Imagine a neutral position in the middle between + and ×. Then, moving upwards, you get addition, subtraction. Moving downwards, you get multiplication, and division. Rank is preserved. Does it make sense? Like I said, FWIW...
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Stefan Karlsson

Post by Stefan Karlsson »

HPMike wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:07 am
rexbinary wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:15 am
I'm not very familiar with the 32SII. I've read up a bit on it, but I can't seem to see what makes this particular model desirable when compared to the current available models? Would it be like a lower cost DM42? Maybe there is much more to it that hasn't been announced yet as well.
Apples and oranges. The HP 42s is a very powerful calculator, but it comes at the expense of complexity and many operations are not readily available on the keyboard. The HP 32Sii is a simpler calculator that offers less capability, but just about everything is found directly on the keyboard without having navigate through a maze of menus. For example, let's say you want to access the hyperbolic functions such as SINH. On the 32Sii you simply press [left shift][HYP][SIN]. On the 42s you have to press [shift][CATALOG][FCN][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][SINH]. Or, you could press [XEQ] and then type in SINH using the alpha menu. Or, you could set up a custom menu. Anyway, it is a lot more effort to access SINH on the 42s than it is on the 32Sii. So, if you need to do a lot of sophisticated programming, the the 42s is better, but if you are mostly doing direct manual calculations, then the 32Sii is better.
Another example is base conversion (e.g., between HEX and DEC), which I think is far more convenient in 32SII. I love how they have reused the top row variable letters for hexadecimal digits.

On the other hand, numbered registers don't exist in 32SII; one-letter variables are used instead. Program labels are also just one letter.

The 32SII wastes some keyboard space on unit conversions that at least I have never used. But maybe they are used in other parts of the world.

As I remember, 42S was noticeably slower for manual calculations, but I might be mistaken. In either case, this of course isn't an issue with Free42 and DM42.
48GX

Post by 48GX »

This is one area where the 48GX menu system for conversions is far superior to other calculators (imho). I wish it were added to the Free/Plus 42. 8-)

Length, mass, volume, temp, pressure are things I commonly use a lot of and it's nice just doing the conversion on the calculator.
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

48GX

Post by 48GX »

Guilty of glossing over the section the first time through. :?

Awesome! A little different than the 48 but very much inline with the 42s ethos. 8-)

Any chance conversions will make it to the DM42?
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

48GX wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:50 am
Any chance conversions will make it to the DM42?
There's already a pretty good program named Convert included on the FAT disk of the DM42.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
rudi

Post by rudi »

I bought the HP-32S II for my wife when it was introduced in the early 90'ies, and she used it a lot.
It even still has the "Quick Guide" for the program I made and to solve the "BMI" equation on the back ;-)

However, a couple of years back, she fell back to using her HP-11C from back in the early 80'ies, and I have been using the 32S II at work since - but now the DM42 is slowly taking over ;-) (My HP-42S never leaves home, don't want to loose that one)

One thing that annoys me with the HP-32S II, it that only LN and e^x are primary functions, LOG and 10^x are shifted!
I really really wish it was the other way arround, or even better, put LOG and LN as primary keys and 10^x and e^x as shifted, as on the HP-42S, DM42.
It seems more natural to me, that the inverse function is on the same shifted key, just like the trigometric functions.

But perhaps changing a DM32 that way, would be considered blasfemy to the original HP-32SII?

Some pictures of my old HP-32 S II, soon to be retired due to the DM42 ;-)
Image Image
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

HPMike wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:07 am
rexbinary wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:15 am
I'm not very familiar with the 32SII. I've read up a bit on it, but I can't seem to see what makes this particular model desirable when compared to the current available models? Would it be like a lower cost DM42? Maybe there is much more to it that hasn't been announced yet as well.
Apples and oranges. The HP 42s is a very powerful calculator, but it comes at the expense of complexity and many operations are not readily available on the keyboard. The HP 32Sii is a simpler calculator that offers less capability, but just about everything is found directly on the keyboard without having navigate through a maze of menus. For example, let's say you want to access the hyperbolic functions such as SINH. On the 32Sii you simply press [left shift][HYP][SIN]. On the 42s you have to press [shift][CATALOG][FCN][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][SINH]. Or, you could press [XEQ] and then type in SINH using the alpha menu. Or, you could set up a custom menu. Anyway, it is a lot more effort to access SINH on the 42s than it is on the 32Sii. So, if you need to do a lot of sophisticated programming, the the 42s is better, but if you are mostly doing direct manual calculations, then the 32Sii is better.
This is true for HP 42s, however, DM42 has an extra row of dedicated keys where users can assign frequently used functions (btw, an excellent design decision) - this is moving DM42 a bit into direction of “direct manual calculations“ and partially closing the gap. Difference is that one still need to browse through catalog or documentation to know what is possible, “design” and assign menu items and that only 6 out of 18 items are directly visible - DM 32 “catalog“ will be much more visible and of course mostly directly accessible.

I‘m rather in „direct manual calculation“ camp - will have hard time to weight DM42 vs DM32 :)
HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rudi wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 am
I bought the HP-32S II for my wife when it was introduced in the early 90'ies, and she used it a lot.
That actually is the newer color scheme model, from the early 2000s.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
rudi

Post by rudi »

akaTB wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:48 am
rudi wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 am
That actually is the newer color scheme model, from the early 2000s.
Oh - thanks for clarifying that. Due to my dodgy memory, I had to look up the release date. I just remembered, that I bought it when it came out :oops:
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark