May 2021 Speculations

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Dan Simpson

Re: May 2021 Speculations

Post by Dan Simpson »

toml_12953 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:56 am

Wait. Let me check the date again...Nope, it's not April 1st. Why would anyone remake that old thing (with algebraic logic, no less!) I can think of two reasons not to make it.
  • It's not nostalgic for anyone since it was never sold.
    It isn't very powerful compared to what we already have.
Of course 2 wouldn't be valid if 1 wasn't true since us fans of old calculators don't care about the fact that our collections aren't as capable as what's available today. To us, the old machines such as the TI-59, Sinclair Cambridge Programmable and the Casio Pro fx-1 have a soul that's missing from today's crop. That's why I was hoping for a 100% functional clone of the HP-41CX including all the expandability but made with modern parts and construction techniques. The method of holding connections together using the case halves seems ridiculous to me and it hasn't really held up well over time.
A couple good candidates for remake might be the HP-65 and -67, though they'd only be worth it if they included mag card readers.
I wouldn't expect SM to make them, though, since they're after a different market than us nostalgia buffs/collectors.
Actually, it may be nostalgic for some of us. I was a TI-59 user at the time and was really looking forward to the release of the 88.
The demise of the 88 made me make the jump to HP and I don't regret that for a moment. But it would be interesting to see what might have been if the price was right.

But it would have very limited utility without the solid state software modules which were probably never produced and I doubt there is enough demand to reproduce them or develop new ones.

Interesting idea, though...
My Collection: HP-55, HP-67 (Teenix Mod), HP-15C, HP-16C, HP-41CV, HP-41CX, SY41-CL, DM41X, DM42, HP-42S, HP-48G, HP-71B, HP-75C, HP-86B.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

vaklaff wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:18 pm
toml_12953 wrote:
Wait. Let me check the date again...Nope, it's not April 1st. Why would anyone remake that old thing (with algebraic logic, no less!)
Of course I was joking, sorry if it sounded real...
It would have been a cool idea after the DM41X to release the then would-be contender TI 88, but I quickly realized that it's not a Saturn-based RPN calculator as announced by Michael in his video, so nope...
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

vaklaff wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:18 pm
toml_12953 wrote:
Wait. Let me check the date again...Nope, it's not April 1st. Why would anyone remake that old thing (with algebraic logic, no less!)
Of course I was joking, sorry if it sounded real...
I was pretty sure that was the case but these days, you never know!
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Joga

Post by Joga »

I 'm confused. May 2021 has long passed, and I still doesn't get what is new. DM-42 and DM-41X is older than May 2021 (and certainly not "entry level). I would love something similar to HP-32/33/35s. HP-32s is one of my long time favorites, and HP-35s would be good, if it weren't for the poor quality, the bugs and the fact that you can't access the 32 kB of memory via serial, USB or SD-card.

A "DM-35s" would be perfect I think. It does not need to be an exact copy and could distance itself enough to not make copyright or such an issue. What I like is the simple unit conversations and the access to all functions without deep menu diving.

Is there any news on what this "May 2021" new "entry level" product is about? Have I misunderstood something?
Peet

Post by Peet »

Joga wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:44 pm
Is there any news on what this "May 2021" new "entry level" product is about? Have I misunderstood something?
I suspect the May announcement was only there to bring something in May. It was a pretty surreal announcement that didn't make much sense. There weren't even any later clarifications to the strange announcement. Swissmicros looks like a comatose hobby project to me.

I like the DM42 and DM41X with all their small flaws and am happy about small improvements. Maybe there will be another DM in the future and maybe it will be interesting, but for me the DM41X is the most important product of this brand and meets my requirements.

Fortunately, there is this community and users such as Ángel Martin, rprosperi, ljubo and some others which work and informations are helpful to deal with the small weaknesses of the calculators.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Peet wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:31 pm
Joga wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:44 pm
I suspect the May announcement was only there to bring something in May. It was a pretty surreal announcement that didn't make much sense. There weren't even any later clarifications to the strange announcement. Swissmicros looks like a comatose hobby project to me.
Given that Michael has quit his day job to concentrate on SwissMicros, calling it a comatose hobby project seems a bit unfair!

Just because you don't know of anything happening behind the scenes doesn't mean they're not beavering away on the new project. Perhaps there are delays due to unexpected problems, or uncontrollable problems (such as the current global chip shortage).
I like the DM42 and DM41X with all their small flaws and am happy about small improvements. Maybe there will be another DM in the future and maybe it will be interesting, but for me the DM41X is the most important product of this brand and meets my requirements.
The DM41X certainly seems like a good thing for those mourning or preserving their precious HP-41Cs!

The hints are that the new project is a (emulated) Saturn based, entry level, RPN calculator, which is not menu-driven. The verbal description reminds me of a 32SII, but I wouldn't know for sure. I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of forum regulars who do know exactly what it is, but are keeping shtum! The DM4x platform's display would seem like overkill for such a thing, so maybe it will be on a new platform? That would be exciting!
Fortunately, there is this community and users such as Ángel Martin, rprosperi, ljubo and some others which work and informations are helpful to deal with the small weaknesses of the calculators.
Agreed!
Peet

Post by Peet »

ijabbott wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 am
Given that Michael has quit his day job to concentrate on SwissMicros, calling it a comatose hobby project seems a bit unfair!
I am a Swissmicros customer and not a fanboy. If this company leaves me with the impression that it looks like a comatose hobby project than this has nothing to do with fairness - it is simply the impression that this company leaves on me.
ijabbott wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 am
Just because you don't know of anything happening behind the scenes doesn't mean they're not beavering away on the new project. Perhaps there are delays due to unexpected problems, or uncontrollable problems (such as the current global chip shortage).
As I already wrote myself, the next big thing from Swissmicros may come, but I still criticize the lack of customer proximity and poor communication. And I can't imagine that the global chip crisis could have anything to do with it.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
CalcFreak

Post by CalcFreak »

No 48 no care. :lol:
Joga

Post by Joga »

Any updates on this? I'm still hoping that "entry level" means something similar to HP-32s/33s/35s. A 35s without the bugs and with some connectivity would be great. 32/35 (never owned a 33) is my daily go to-calulator and I like that it's simple and have a "standard" floating point mode. The older HPs is a bit frustrating with their FIX/SCI/ENG display modes. Handy when you need em, but day to day I prefer a floating point mode. I also use the "non menu based" unit conversation a lot.

Edit: Unrelated, but it's really, really, REALLY annoying not to be able to post sometimes due to IP filtering. I'm not a spammer, I just use an VPN as every IT professional do and should.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Joga wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:50 pm
32/35 (...) is my daily go to-calulator and I like that it's simple and have a "standard" floating point mode. The older HPs is a bit frustrating with their FIX/SCI/ENG display modes. Handy when you need em, but day to day I prefer a floating point mode.
What do you mean by "standard" floating point mode? ALL? I've grown up with SCI, ENG, FIX and like them.
Joga wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:50 pm
I also use the "non menu based" unit conversation a lot.
Imagine that. Especially at night, the unit conversation must be fun to listen.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041