Fascinating calculators!

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
STS-741

Fascinating calculators!

Post by STS-741 »

Since yesterday I am also the proud owner of an HP 35s and I have to say, it is a great device! At the moment I am not yet familiar with RPN mode, but if you do it intensively enough, you learn quickly. First I tried a few simple examples and then compared them in both modes. It quickly became apparent that the input in ALG mode is sometimes surprisingly unusual, such a cumbersome entry for such a simple example is strange. For a simple percentage calculation, no fewer than 13 keystrokes were necessary, actually unbelievable, on an old business calculator it is e.g. only 8! In RPN mode on the HP 35s the same example only required 9 keystrokes.

I guess that's a suitable preparation for my next calculator, from SwissMicros. :)
grsbanks

Re: Fascinating calculators!

Post by grsbanks »

Whatever you do, please don't consider the HP35s as a yardstick of any kind. It's a machine that was outsourced to a Taiwanese outfit called Kinpo. They rushed it out the door with a load of bugs and then abandoned it for the next model they were to work on. The HP35s is not of the quality of older HP models.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwra ... i?read=735
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
STS-741

Post by STS-741 »

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:49 am
Whatever you do, please don't consider the HP 35s as a yardstick of any kind. It's a machine that was outsourced to a Taiwanese outfit called Kinpo. They rushed it out the door with a load of bugs and then abandoned it for the next model they were to work on. The HP 35s is not of the quality of older HP models.
Thank you, but this is nothing new to me and will in no way tarnish my joy about my purchase. I know what role the calculator plays as a new edition compared to other pocket calculators, HP definitely didn't want to set any standards with it, so such little things are not a real problem for me. The linked website shows content from 2007 and was last edited in 2015, it's not even certain whether its content is still up to date. In addition, I see no real evidence that the information provided by the author has been fully confirmed by an independent body.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Congratulations on your discovery of the magic world of RPN. The HP-35S is a good choice to get you educated on RPN without spending too much money. As @grsbanks said, it is not one of the best examples of HP RPN calculators, but it is certainly adequate to get you going. I own one, and frankly, use it very infrequently as I have many other much better calculators in my stable. When you finally get sufficient familiarity with RPN use and programming, then you should definitely take the plunge, and buy a SwissMicros calculator. My favorite is the DM42.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
Walter

Post by Walter »

STS-741 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:17 pm
grsbanks wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:49 am
Whatever you do, please don't consider the HP 35s as a yardstick of any kind. It's a machine that was outsourced to a Taiwanese outfit called Kinpo. They rushed it out the door with a load of bugs and then abandoned it for the next model they were to work on. The HP 35s is not of the quality of older HP models.
... The linked website shows content from 2007 and was last edited in 2015, it's not even certain whether its content is still up to date. In addition, I see no real evidence that the information provided by the author has been fully confirmed by an independent body.
Alas, the website content of 2007 through 2015 is still the state of the art for the HP 35S since this model was never maintained nor updated (compare that to HP's habitude 40 years ago). Today, you can get the best "HP" calculators from HP no more but from "the RPN user community". Presently, I'd recommend the DM42 though more is going to come.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
STS-741

Post by STS-741 »

@HPMike
Of course it's a shame if the manufacturer doesn't take care of his product and its maintenance, but I still believe that it can't be that bad when it sells so well. If the points of criticism mentioned were as sensitive as the author describes, then there would probably be harsh criticism from many more sides. But that's obviously not the case, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased the device. I had previously discovered the link shown above in the English Wikipedia, but for good reason paid little attention, since it's exactly what is called a "bad reference": a) if it's a private website and b) a thread for discussion in a public forum. That's why my enthusiasm for this little wonder is unbroken. :D

And yes, I'm here for the same reason as many others, I'm interested in SwissMicros pocket calculators and I think both devices, the DM41X and the DM42, are fantastic, so I'm watching the scene here to see how things go. ;)
Last edited by STS-741 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edward

Post by edward »

I just purchased a DM41X and would recommend but the learning curve at least for me was/is steep.

What SM need to do is bring out a 50X... RPL reborn!!!

That would keep me occupied for life )))
HP 28S, DM 41X
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

edward wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:30 am
I just purchased a DM41X and would recommend but the learning curve at least for me was/is steep.

No way! RPL is doomed (as RPN was). And talk about learning curve...
Now wait another 20 years before someone resurrects it. :mrgreen:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

edward wrote:

Hmm a steep learning curve means you can master something in a short time. A shallow learning curve means it's harder to master and takes more time.
The Y-axis is percent mastery and the X-axis is time. The steeper the curve, the shorter the time it takes to learn something.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Walter

Post by Walter »

toml_12953 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:01 am
edward wrote:

Hmm a steep learning curve means you can master something in a short time. A shallow learning curve means it's harder to master and takes more time.
The Y-axis is percent mastery and the X-axis is time. The steeper the curve, the shorter the time it takes to learn something.
It's interpreted differently in these fora: a steep learning curve means a lot of effort, like climbing a mountain. More people like wandering uphill.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041