WP34S overlay and cable

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Leo_G

Re: WP34S overlay and cable

Post by Leo_G »

Actually, it's much easier than all the stuff posted. As long as you download the file properly (ya, that part bit my ass). Use your left hand to hold three wires steady, and your right hand to press the power button on the inverted 30B body, you are golden. No need for resistors, or thingies that hold the cables in place. I might do a write up, but currently I'm more lazy than Walter at Octoberfest...

Leo
(message me for actual info)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Leo_G wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:55 am
Actually, it's much easier than all the stuff posted. As long as you download the file properly (ya, that part bit my ass). Use your left hand to hold three wires steady, and your right hand to press the power button on the inverted 30B body, you are golden. No need for resistors, or thingies that hold the cables in place. I might do a write up, but currently I'm more lazy than Walter at Octoberfest...
Please tell me how lazy - I did never go there ...
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Leo_G

Post by Leo_G »

Well, I doubt you are lazy. But I thought it was the unwritten code to mention you or Paul in someway in every post... :-)
Leo_G

Post by Leo_G »

Oh, and speaking of overlays, I emailed Eric over a month ago and have had no response. Is the Euro source good to go? I picked up a 20B for $5 USD and thought it would make a good WP 31. And can use backup overlays for my two 34s.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Leo_G wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:14 am
Oh, and speaking of overlays, I emailed Eric over a month ago and have had no response. Is the Euro source good to go? I picked up a 20B for $5 USD and thought it would make a good WP 31. And can use backup overlays for my two 34s.
For 5$, you can hardly complain. Though I'd prefer the 30B by far for its keyboard.

About 'the Euro source': I'm neither affiliated to it nor did I order anything there (enough WP34S and 31S here ;) ), I just got the information from another aficionado and posted it on this forum. It sounds reasonably priced to me, so I'd give it a try.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Leo_G

Post by Leo_G »

Walter,
wow, guess I haven't been on in a while.
I got my two 30b for WP 34s (only set up one so far), but thought for $5, an HP-20B would be great to do a WP 31 just to have it.

Hope everyone is staying sane and safe.

Leo
Walter

Post by Walter »

Leo, even a WP31 deserves a reasonable rotation-and-click keyboard IMO.
spiff72

Post by spiff72 »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 pm
I still have some (limited supply) vinyl sticker overlays left. See the links below to the Windows simulator graphics files which correspond with the overlay variations I have. At least those that I still have left are listed, not all the combinations I had.

I have:

Gloss: WP34C eRPN: More than 10 sets left: WP34C above key with ERPN

Matte: WP34C eRPN: 5 sets left: WP34C above key with ERPN

Matte: WP34S: 4 sets left: WP34S above key labels

The eRPN stickers can be used for both eRPN and non-eRPN versions as there are 2x title labels. Both WP34C variations however have in the space below the 0 "ENTRY RPN" which you may or may not like. The WP34S has none of the kind.

Regards
Jaco
Hello Jaco...

I know this is an older post, but I just had a couple of questions about the overlays you posted here.

Since those links seem to be for the simulator, they are not meant to be used as a printable file to make a DIY overlay, correct? I downloaded an overlay here (link at bottom of page):
https://commerce.hpcalc.org/overlay.php

...but this graphic has no reference lines for manually cutting the keys out. I was looking for some info on how to figure out where those cutouts would be when I came across this thread. I dropped those WP34S and WP34C files into a graphics program alongside the one from the link I provided above, and when I scale the height of the files you linked so they match the overlay height of the other file, the horizontal spacing is off between keys.

I also noticed that the blue and green colors are flipped for the g and h keys on the simulator layouts (compared to the one I linked). Was this intentional?

Thanks!
WP31S/WP34S (HP 30b), WP43/C47 (DM42), newRPL (various), and DB48X (DM42) adhesive and tabbed overlays available here:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20113.html
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

The links were simulator skins, because I made those simulator skins to match the equivalent vinyl stickers for the 30B. I thought it was clear that I was referring to the stickers, but clearly not ;). I did not have convenient pictures of the stickers, hence the sim bitmap references. They are not meant to be printed, but with a little photoshopping maybe they can. For those bitmaps I did not pay attention to the proportions of the actual calculator keyboard, but instead I tweaked the proportions to fit the simulator requirement, which has slightly different proportions to the calculator.

In a document I recently re-discovered after Nigel made his DM42 implementation of the 34S, there is a picture down in Section 8. I still did not make good photos of the sticker sets, so see the link inside for photos of the stickers here.

The "blue slant" buttons are my personal preference. I also had an original 34S sheet somewhere but I did not like it and never fitted it. I saw the blue slants first on a special version printed by Eric, reported on the forum, and liked it so much that I adopted it in my own version. A quick Google brought me to this page, which likely is the one I first saw: [url=https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwra ... ead=211646[/url[here]

Why did I like it? I never questioned myself, and just made it. Maybe because my old 11C had blue slant print. Probably.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
spiff72

Post by spiff72 »

Jaymos wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:49 pm
The links were simulator skins, because I made those simulator skins to match the equivalent vinyl stickers for the 30B. I thought it was clear that I was referring to the stickers, but clearly not ;). I did not have convenient pictures of the stickers, hence the sim bitmap references. They are not meant to be printed, but with a little photoshopping maybe they can. For those bitmaps I did not pay attention to the proportions of the actual calculator keyboard, but instead I tweaked the proportions to fit the simulator requirement, which has slightly different proportions to the calculator.

In a document I recently re-discovered after Nigel made his DM42 implementation of the 34S, there is a picture down in Section 8. I still did not make good photos of the sticker sets, so see the link inside for photos of the stickers here.

The "blue slant" buttons are my personal preference. I also had an original 34S sheet somewhere but I did not like it and never fitted it. I saw the blue slants first on a special version printed by Eric, reported on the forum, and liked it so much that I adopted it in my own version. A quick Google brought me to this page, which likely is the one I first saw: [url=https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwra ... ead=211646[/url[here]

Why did I like it? I never questioned myself, and just made it. Maybe because my old 11C had blue slant print. Probably.
That all makes sense - thanks for sharing!

That "blue slant" in the emulator images is quite appealing - I might have to experiment with that one a bit and see if I can tweak it into an actual template. I have a new 30b on order, but it will be a week or so before it arrives.

Thanks!
WP31S/WP34S (HP 30b), WP43/C47 (DM42), newRPL (various), and DB48X (DM42) adhesive and tabbed overlays available here:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20113.html