DM42, DM41x or WP43s?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Marco Polo

DM42, DM41x or WP43s?

Post by Marco Polo »

I am a very long term RPL user (since 1989) anf currently use a HP50g in my daily job (chemical engineer).
The calc is nice to me, but apart the UOM management (which i use a lot), is like shooting a fly with a Vulcan cannon and it is not possible to use bigger font for the stack (my age does not help...).
Several years ago i got a HP35s: very nice appearance, decent keyboard, mediocre screen and font. Never fell in love with it, tried to use but the lack of UOM management and the very bad mantissa-exponent display management made me keep in in a drawer.
Now Swissmicros has two (in future three) excellent calculators, very different each other. I would like to purchase one of them, but only if it fits my needs:
- UOM management like HP48/50 or at least an extensive and customizable set of UOM conversion. Achevable also ny means of external programs
- good numerical equation solver (the 35s's is acceptable for my needs)
- capability of use long alphanumeric names for variables and programs

My feeling is that a DM42 could fit, more or less, my needs also in terms of future development of its Free42 core.
The WP43s seems to me a do-everything-and-so-complicated calc, aimed to hard core math/stat users, which i am not.
The DM41x is amazing, but i don't know well the HP41 platform (but i am aware that it is maybe the farest of the trhee calc from my needs) and have no idea about the external software that may fit my need.
Any advice/suggestion?

I am aware that the my dream calc should be a DM48 ;) but in the meanwhile....

Thank you
Cheers
Marco Polo
akaTB

Re: DM42, DM41x or WP43s?

Post by akaTB »

For the DM41X: one of Ángel's creations - http://hp41.org/file/Extending%20UMS.pdf
Several alternatives for equation solvers in many external ROMs.

However this is a totally different beast than the 48, possibly you won't like its interface (to me it is the other way round ;) ).
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Walter

Post by Walter »

There is a free simulator of WP43S you can try on your computer. Please be aware it doesn't feature a solver yet (but it will). This project is work in progress; please see the Reference Manual for what's present and what's going to come - and also for how to get the simulator running. If you should find anything complicated, don't hesitate to speak up here.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Marco Polo

Post by Marco Polo »

akaTB wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:39 pm
For the DM41X: one of Ángel's creations - http://hp41.org/file/Extending%20UMS.pdf

However this is a totally different beast than the 48, possibly you won't like its interface (to me it is the other way round ;) ).
Thank you for the info.
I am going to study UMS and to dig into external roms.
:-)
Marco Polo

Post by Marco Polo »

Walter wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm
There is a free simulator of WP43S you can try on your computer. Please be aware it doesn't feature a solver yet (but it will). This project is work in progress; please see the Reference Manual for what's present and what's going to come - and also for how to get the simulator running. If you should find anything complicated, don't hesitate to speak up here.
Thank you.
I am giving a look as soon as possible
Marco Polo

Post by Marco Polo »

akaTB wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:39 pm

I just gave a look into hp41.org site.
It seems to me that an accurate choice of modules to load into DM41x might make an outstanding tool, much better than a DM42 eventually loaded with additonal programs.
I am still dubious about the comparison with 48/50 calc series....