Student Guides to some of the more challenging topics in the Physical sciences

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
jonmoore

Student Guides to some of the more challenging topics in the Physical sciences

Post by jonmoore »

My work as a creative technologist involves relatively easy mathematical challenges, so much of my continued interest in mathematics, physics and engineering is driven by my children (two boys and a girl, each a year apart). They are very competitive (with each other, as well as generally) and all show a talent for mathematics, programming, and the physical sciences. As such it's a constant challenge to feed them with intellectual challenges (outside of their school curriculum) where I have enough of a grasp on the subject manner to aide their inquiring minds, rather than muddy the waters.

As such I've found myself investing a a series of books from Cambridge University Press that I think may be of interest to others here. To quote the promotional blurb, the books "tackle important and challenging topics in physics by adopting a plain language approach to explain fundamental ideas in a clear and accessible way". And for my money they succeed at that very challenging task. If a middle aged dad, who hasn't formally studied the physical sciences since his teenage years can grok the gist of the subject manner, I'd suggest they'll be an equally rewarding read for most.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post a link thinking that one or two of you would also be interested in the book series.

https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/s ... nts-guides