WP43 Pilot Run (Poll!)

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
toml_12953

Re: WP 43S Pilot Run (Poll!)

Post by toml_12953 »

jonmoore wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:17 am
Should anyone bail from ordering one of the first batch units, 'baggsy' that open slot for me. Ta.
"baggsy"? I understand the word from the context to mean something like "save" but exactly what does it mean?
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

toml_12953 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 pm
jonmoore wrote:
Should anyone bail from ordering one of the first batch units, 'baggsy' that open slot for me. Ta.
"baggsy"? I understand the word from the context to mean something like "save" but exactly what does it mean?
Whenever in doubt, Urban Dictionary to the rescue. :)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baggsy

I think it's very much a UK thing and something that originates in the school yard. Similar to the school yard call of 'Bundle's' (followed by one poor soul's name) as they'd end up at the bottom of a large pile of teenage ne'er-do-well's). But yes baggsy basically means save that spot for me.
Walter

Post by Walter »

jonmoore wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:41 pm
toml_12953 wrote:
jonmoore wrote:
I think it's very much a UK thing and something that originates in the school yard. Similar to the school yard call of 'Bundle's' (followed by one poor soul's name) as they'd end up at the bottom of a large pile of teenage ne'er-do-well's). But yes baggsy basically means save that spot for me.
Please take into account this is an international forum and the (many) poor souls who learned English as a second, third, or whatever language have a hard time decoding slang etc. you use (plus the typos many of you don't even take any care of). Obviously, you can hardly imagine since your language is lingua franca nowadays but I've no doubt that any of us Non-English people can drive you perfectly mad using some local terms of our languages. So, please, use Queen's English (or something close to it) whenever you have a choice. Thanks in advance.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

Walter wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:13 pm
jonmoore wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:41 pm
toml_12953 wrote:

but I've no doubt that any of us Non-English people can drive you perfectly mad using some local terms of our languages. So, please, use Queen's English (or something close to it) whenever you have a choice. Thanks in advance.
Personally speaking, one of the delights about international forums is picking up on local colloquialisms, but point taken none the less.

So to reiterate in plain English, please keep me in mind for one of the pilot run units should someone drop out. :)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Walter wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:13 pm
Please take into account this is an international forum and the (many) poor souls who learned English as a second, third, or whatever language have a hard time decoding slang etc. you use (plus the typos many of you don't even take any care of).
Some of us that are native English speakers also had no idea... :D

But like jonmoore, I enjoy learning colloquialisms. I think from context, that particular one was clear, but often not so much.

I really enjoy seeing some of the German ones as well, where the tradition seems to be if there is no word for an oft-used phrase, simply coin a new one, combining the words together, though I have failed to grasp the rules for how and when this is done. Can that be easily explained to someone that is not a German speaker? If so, I'd love to read that. (though certainly probably best by PM or email, as that would be very serious topic drift, not belonging here.)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:58 pm
I really enjoy seeing some of the German ones as well, where the tradition seems to be if there is no word for an oft-used phrase, simply coin a new one, combining the words together, though I have failed to grasp the rules for how and when this is done. Can that be easily explained to someone that is not a German speaker? If so, I'd love to read that. (though certainly probably best by PM or email, as that would be very serious topic drift, not belonging here.)
There is almost no rule. The words are simply concatenated.

Example:
There is the river Danube, ==> Donau
We have ships on the Donau that's shipping, ==> Schiffahrt
Therefore we have shipping on the Danube ==> Donauschiffahrt
And the ships have a captain ==> Kapitän. So one captain is a Donauschiffahrtskapitän
He wears a cap ==> Mütze, thus he wears a Donauschiffahrtskapitänsmütze
To see of which company he is from, the cap has a badge ==> Abzeichen.
Now we have the wonderful sentence about a badge on the cap of the captain of a ship which roames on the Danube river.
Or in abbreviated German Donauschiffahrtskapitänsmützenabzeichen

HTH, Günter :lol:
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
Walter

Post by Walter »

While this joke is a very popular exaggeration (originally beginning with Donaudampfschiffahrt since those were steamers on the Danube, so you see how old this joke is), such a long word is not assessed being "gutes Deutsch" (~ good German language) though. In school, they taught us inserting a hyphen after two or three components like in Lebensversicherungs-Gesellschaftssitz (~ life insurance company headquarter). That was 45 years ago.

Nowadays, influenced by bad spelling knowledge and widespread English texts, such hyphens are often forgotten. So you may find companies calling themselves "Lebensversicherungs Gesellschaft"; this blank instead of a hyphen is called a Deppenleerzeichen (~ fool's blank character) by those knowing. :roll:

Can be continued easily. :lol:
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

Walter wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:14 pm
While this joke is a very popular exaggeration (originally beginning with Donaudampfschiffahrt since those were steamers on the Danube,
We have to adjust to modern times, no Dampf any more :)

Günter
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Thanks Günter and Walter, for the brief but clear lessons, rich with examples.

I suppose what I should say here is, thankyouverymuch ! :D
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
pauli

Post by pauli »

I quite like this one.

Pauli