WP43 Pilot Run (Poll!)

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Jaymos

Re: 43S Pilot Run (Poll!)

Post by Jaymos »

Thomas_ER wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:51 am
I am very curious about your measures and results to limit the power hunger of the firmware.
I would be (one of the) guilty there ... well it is a team effort. The original optimizing for WP43 using timers was done and tested by Dani R. some time ago and I further tested to get it optimized. Then ben.titmus re-engineered same WP43 code and I tested and optimized again.

Essentially you just try keep the processor asleep all the time (or at least as much as possible) and you limit the interrupt(ed) processor time to the minimum and during waking time, you make the processor do as little as possible. In terms of firmware base, C43 and WP43 have about 90% the same base loop system. C43 cannot be the same as it has a lot more for the processor to do when buttons are pressed - that is simply the "cost" of the different UI, drawing the lines on the menu, refreshing more and running the timers to monitor all the presses like fast, slow, double, triple and what not.

Monitoring of this stuff for optimizing, I use an oscilloscope to monitor the actual current drawn and we force activity pulses in various places in the code, which I then monitor using the oscilloscope, so the direct effect on the current consumption can be seen. If you really are interested in one of my testing methods, look at an older investigation report that we used internally - all issues identified in here have been fixed already (by Ben in Nov 2022).

Another very interesting issue is what to do if the battery is almost at it's end. The measurement issue can be compared with Heisenberg - even though I know that was meant way differently: The issue here is that you operate the processor to measure the battery voltage, while the processor is drawing current and therefore the voltage is dropping while you are measuring; the more your processor is not sleeping, and the flatter the battery is, the more unsure you are of what the voltage is; or was; or what it soon would be ;-). If you are quick and only read the voltage and go to sleep again, you obtain the average of a low load or no-load voltage, which could create a false certainty of available power and when the user then asks the calculator to do some intense calculation like a program, the flat battery could arguably at this point not handle the surge in power and could die before you can shut down orderly. That would be a problem ;-). So it is a complicated puzzle to solve. What's more, I am sure HP solved this especially for those venerable Voyagers which are as power clever as their Nasa namesakes with the radioisotope generators. I do think that the Nasa Voyagers may be the only things living longer on a battery than a 11C or 16C, but I digress.

I have not attended to the power issues since the above document, but at some point will return to it. In the meantime Michael (rightly so under protection of an NDA) provided me some essential DM42 hw information to help me with C43 improvements. My document shared above, clearly is pre-NDA though, so therefore shared for interest.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

Hello Jaco,

Thank you very much for the detailed description of the principles in preserving battery power, and the explanation of your method of analysis. Thank you also for allowing me to take a look at your document. I will have a closer look at it.
I'm also an electrical engineer by training (it's been quite a long time ago), although in practice I've been more in the IT environment. (so rather between the worlds).

What to do if the battery is almost at it's end: an attempt to predict the further course of the battery voltage could be an approach - but this again requires computing power as long as it is not table-based (typical degrading battery voltage over time?).

Since I stumbled across a video a while ago, I'll take the liberty of giving you another suggestion:
In addition to an oscilloscope, perhaps a "Power Profiler Kit" from Nordic Semi, as described by Andreas Spiess (an electronics guru from Switzerland, among other things), in his video "#386 How to measure low Currents for ESP/Arduino? Power Profiler, Otii, µCurrent Gold, Joulescope" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUB8RWzzLWc) discussed, a possibly helpful addition. The part about the Power Profiler Kit II starts at https://youtu.be/LUB8RWzzLWc?t=408. Link to the manufacturer: https://www.nordicsemi.com/Products/Dev ... iler-Kit-2

I wish you much new knowledge with the confidential information from Michael, and exciting new results.
Many greetings, Thomas
just a joke: One or the other HP collector might also wish for a radioisotope generator as the ultimate power bank ;-)
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thomas_ER wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:29 pm
just a joke: One or the other HP collector might also wish for a radioisotope generator as the ultimate power bank ;-)
Yes, in the Sixties they showed up in every better or worse science fiction article. I don't remember why they vanished meanwhile... :? Population density? Permanent repository? Performance in accidents? Abuse? (or: Why may such a generator be a good solution for powering a Voyager spacecraft but suboptimal on Earth?)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Thomas_ER wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:29 pm
What to do if the battery is almost at it's end: an attempt to predict the further course of the battery voltage could be an approach - but this again requires computing power as long as it is not table-based (typical degrading battery voltage over time?).
Not to shut down the calculator too early while there is some good left in the battery and at the same time not to let the calculator die without warning as that risks loosing content or crash. Finding some levels in between. I'll get back to that some time - too busy now.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Walter

Post by Walter »

By some weird twists of history, I got the power to offer four (4) more WP43 prototypes now at the reduced price as stated above. Will return to the record of our waiting line and send a PM to the four people eligible. Each one shall be entitled to get one (1) prototype which will be shipped from Germany. If one declines, I'll turn to the next in line (those who declined earlier already will not be asked again). Just FYI, please wait for PM.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Walter

Post by Walter »

Just sent the PMs for the final two pilots...
d_nnix

Post by d_nnix »

It seems exciting that prototypes are still being distributed! Is this project back “on”? I was under the impression that the hardware from SwissMicros had been canceled for the 43S.
thomasvo

Post by thomasvo »

What about me? Would appreciate to take part in the pilot too. I'm on the waiting list since September 2021.

Thanks

Tommy V.
Walter

Post by Walter »

We are talking about May 2020 right now...
Walter

Post by Walter »

... and now all pilots are gone. Thank you! :D