Are the calculators magnet-proof?

General discussion about calculators, Swiss Micros or otherwise
Olivier de Nantes
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:37 am
Location: France

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by Olivier de Nantes » Thu May 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 am
There shouldn't be any problem with any modern pocket calculator as long as we talk about static magnetic fields and the calculator isn't moving fast. :mrgreen: Reasons are given in post #2. :geek: And since the calculator back is made of stainless (austhenitic) steel, it won't even start moving fast on its own. :shock: So don't worry, be happy. 8-)
+1
Olivier de Nantes (Bretagne)


HP41 (x3 : 2CV / 1CX), HP 42S, HP 48G+, HP 71B, HP 15C LE, HP 35S, HP PRIME

DM41L, DM 41X (Beta - SN: 00078), DM 42 (SN: 1028)

User avatar
RAPo
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by RAPo » Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Walter wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:51 pm
RAPo wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:31 pm
well you need 16 T in order to levitate a frog (https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... irrelevant).
Thanks for sharing. 16 T is huge! 8-)
see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJsVqc0ywM
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,

User avatar
RAPo
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by RAPo » Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm

toml_12953 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:16 am
RAPo wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:31 pm
well you need 16 T in order to levitate a frog (https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... irrelevant).
Flying cars* anyone?

* All the rage in views of the future from the 1930s to the '50s
weel we already have maglev trains. Never say never: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLkP6S6mKsY
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,

User avatar
RAPo
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by RAPo » Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 am
There shouldn't be any problem with any modern pocket calculator as long as we talk about static magnetic fields and the calculator isn't moving fast. :mrgreen: Reasons are given in post #2. :geek: And since the calculator back is made of stainless (austhenitic) steel, it won't even start moving fast on its own. :shock: So don't worry, be happy. 8-)
I'll doubt that. There is not such a thing as resistance to diamagnetism https://phys.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... amagnetism
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1540
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by Walter » Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm

RAPo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm
Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 am
There shouldn't be any problem with any modern pocket calculator as long as we talk about static magnetic fields and the calculator isn't moving fast. :mrgreen: Reasons are given in post #2. :geek: And since the calculator back is made of stainless (austhenitic) steel, it won't even start moving fast on its own. :shock: So don't worry, be happy. 8-)
I'll doubt that. There is not such a thing as resistance to diamagnetism https://phys.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... amagnetism
Well, you're right in principle but I was talking about a modern pocket calculator: this typically means a device of some 50 to 100 grams. And I implicitely presumed accessible areas where you can operate such a calc - by careful scaling the video you linked I'd guess I'd hardly succeed putting my hand in your frog-levitating magnet. :geek: For sake of truth, I admit my above post applies to 99.999999% of the surface of our home planet only (but those who enter the other 0.000001% usually are well aware of the special conditions there). :ugeek: Agreed?

(Else please show me a proper bar of Swiss chocolate levitating. 8-) )
DM42 SN: 00041 Beta
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

toml_12953
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm
Location: Malone, NY USA

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by toml_12953 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:54 pm

Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm
(Else please show me a proper bar of Swiss chocolate levitating. 8-) )
I had one that levitated but chocolate (especially Swiss or Belgian) never lasts long when I'm around (or is that a round?)

:oops:
Tom L

I bought a moving blanket but it just sits there.

DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)

User avatar
RAPo
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by RAPo » Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm

(Else please show me a proper bar of Swiss chocolate levitating. 8-) )
Iḿ sure you could put any chocolate bar on this plate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7AVGPoJYtU,
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1540
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by Walter » Thu May 14, 2020 9:46 pm

RAPo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 pm
Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm

(Else please show me a proper bar of Swiss chocolate levitating. 8-) )
Iḿ sure you could put any chocolate bar on this plate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7AVGPoJYtU,
IIRC that's not diamagnetism here. Don't cheat! 8-)
DM42 SN: 00041 Beta
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1540
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by Walter » Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 pm

toml_12953 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:54 pm
Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm
(Else please show me a proper bar of Swiss chocolate levitating. 8-) )
I had one that levitated but chocolate (especially Swiss or Belgian) never lasts long when I'm around (or is that a round?)

:oops:
Yes, the short half-live of chocolate observed in scientific environments is a major experimental challenge ... :mrgreen:
DM42 SN: 00041 Beta
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

Olivier de Nantes
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:37 am
Location: France

Re: Are the calculators magnet-proof?

Post by Olivier de Nantes » Fri May 15, 2020 7:43 am

RAPo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 pm
Walter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm

(Else please show me a proper bar of Swiss chocolate levitating. 8-) )
Iḿ sure you could put any chocolate bar on this plate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7AVGPoJYtU,
There is Mg in chocolate, but not enough Fe 😀
Olivier de Nantes (Bretagne)


HP41 (x3 : 2CV / 1CX), HP 42S, HP 48G+, HP 71B, HP 15C LE, HP 35S, HP PRIME

DM41L, DM 41X (Beta - SN: 00078), DM 42 (SN: 1028)

Post Reply