DM41X Alternative key layout

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Boub65

Re: DM41X Alternative key layout

Post by Boub65 »

akaTB wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:25 pm
Listen to me: these are niche products. MLDL2000, SY41CL, DM42, DM41X are expensive toys for grown up people who like to tinker with what they dreamt as youngsters.
You are sooooo right, I agree 100%...
And we (you and me) will just buy any thing that David and Michael throw at us...

So, I will let them choose what they want to throw...

Cordialement, Sincerely
Boubker.
Sincèrement, Sincerely, 73,
Boubker

DM15L, DM41L, DM42 #00855 (domes upgraded), DM41X #00707
HP48SX (with dark screen), HP42s, HP32SII (1990 with fraction bug), HP41C/CV
TI-89 titanium, CASIO fx-cg50 and Numworks (to play with micropython)
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

akaTB wrote:
Are you still thinking that flocks of millennials are coming here to buy the DM41X, throwing away their TIs and CASIOs?
:oops: I was born in 1983 so some would describe me as a millennial. I only discovered RPN a few years ago and it's changed my life (not an exaggeration).

I'm also a physics teacher to children aged 11-18. I use RPN calculators every day. I work in a high-achieving grammar school, so many students are intrigued by RPN and a few I know to have purchased their own.

I wouldn't be so quick cast the generation aside. Many can be saved.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

keithdalby wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:04 pm
akaTB wrote:
Are you still thinking that flocks of millennials are coming here to buy the DM41X, throwing away their TIs and CASIOs?
:oops: I was born in 1983 so some would describe me as a millennial. I only discovered RPN a few years ago and it's changed my life (not an exaggeration).

I'm also a physics teacher to children aged 11-18. I use RPN calculators every day. I work in a high-achieving grammar school, so many students are intrigued by RPN and a few I know to have purchased their own.

I wouldn't be so quick cast the generation aside. Many can be saved.
Fine, and if it is so then I am really glad.
But, as a physics teacher, you certainly know that numbers speak for themselves. Do you think that the aforementioned calculators, gadgets and addons sold for the thousands? No, rather for the hundreds, when lucky. Dozens, rather. No flocks, for sure.
This is the market, like it or not, and not a cheap one. Not in the reach of the majority of students.

It's HP that should issue new, more affordable, RPN calculators.

Have a nice evening and thank you very much for being an RPN evangelist.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
hth313

Post by hth313 »

Boub65 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 pm
Will DM41X customers be mainly :
- HP41 users that will not find the same screen but still ask for same exact keyboard 🤔
- DM42 users or NEW users interested in a modern HP41CX that will accept DM42 or any keyboard 👍

I am in the second category... and will be happy with a "close to DM42" layout...

[..]
But, DM41X will be full Swissmicros property because they own 100% of the IP. So only David and Michael will be able to provide different layouts and especially a DM41X close to DM42... it's up to them to decide...

Cordialement, Sincerely,
Boubker.
I would prefer the keyboard layout to be as close to the original as possible, though I can probably live with some differences.

I see the closed IP as a big problem, probably even a show-stopper for me. I may be different from most users, but one of the key advantages of the HP-41 is that we have full knowledge, complete access and control over everything. I would not want to give that up.

One advantage of this calculator compared to the original is the ARM processor, which could potentially be used to take it to another level. However, if IP is going to be closed, it will take away a lot of fun for me at least. In that case I expect that I will stay with the original one (and 41CL).
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

hth313 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:13 am
I see the closed IP as a big problem, probably even a show-stopper for me. I may be different from most users, but one of the key advantages of the HP-41 is that we have full knowledge, complete access and control over everything. I would not want to give that up.
Gosh, this from the person who told me that the world would be a better place without GPL-using liberals? There's just no pleasing some people. :lol:
Walter

Post by Walter »

hth313 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:13 am
Boub65 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 pm
But, DM41X will be full Swissmicros property because they own 100% of the IP. So only David and Michael will be able to provide different layouts and especially a DM41X close to DM42... it's up to them to decide...
There are 28 meanings of IP in information technology at least. Which IP is the IP you mean?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

Hello guys, go to the thread http://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2247 to beat you up. :evil:

This thread is about the fact that there are at least two person who would prefer to have a DM41X-PGM available in a second version with a DM42 keyboard layout if possible. Without having to reconfigure the keyboard layout (http://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/devel/d ... el_manual/). If I can compile the PGM my self, I will do the adjustments myself, otherwise it would be nice if David would maintain a second version. :|

My Synthetic programs run on the DM41, so they will run on the DM41X too. The embedded ROM will be that of the HP-41CX anyway, I suppose. :)
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Dani R. wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:26 pm
Hello guys, go to the thread http://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2247 to beat you up. :evil:

This thread is about the fact that there are at least two person who would prefer to have a DM41X-PGM available in a second version with a DM42 keyboard layout if possible. Without having to reconfigure the keyboard layout (http://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/devel/d ... el_manual/). If I can compile the PGM my self, I will do the adjustments myself, otherwise it would be nice if David would maintain a second version. :|

My Synthetic programs run on the DM41, so they will run on the DM41X too. The embedded ROM will be that of the HP-41CX anyway, I suppose. :)
And why should they move to my thread? :twisted:
Stay here, please!
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

akaTB wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:37 pm
And why should they move to my thread? :twisted:
Stay here, please!
IP threads have the property that they are closed and then possibly also deleted. :(

Right now I don't see an IP problem with the 41X because you just don't know enough. So discuss it somewhere, but not here. :x

Make a new thread about assumptions that you know even less then about the 41X itself. ;)
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
Walter

Post by Walter »

Dani R. wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:50 pm
IP threads have the property that they are closed and then possibly also deleted. :(

Right now I don't see an IP problem with the 41X because you just don't know enough.
You are another person hopefully able to explain the meaning of IP (use unambiguous abbreviations, please - see my post of 1:12 p.m. today).
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041