43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
User avatar
Jaymos
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:03 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos »

H2X wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:29 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 pm
Maybe precede the value with X: or Y:, etc.
Or utilising the softmenu space for this?

The softmenu space might be put to interesting use if we do something similar with constants as well.

Getting ahead of myself (fart warning), there might be some operations which might be assigned to softkeys in this SHOW mode, e.g. copy, print, take screenshot, show next / previous chunk of decimals...
All good ideas, but for a SHOW enhancement it would be encroaching into the known area for REGS.V (RBR) and the yet unknown details of VIEW. I want to first see what is done from the main project.

So, for now I will stick to the large font display already done, as well as to try the arrows up/down for X through D.

BTW, I already implemented screen print the same way as it is done on DM42: keep in the shift key while pressing DISP. It saves the screen image to the folder /SCREENS/.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
C43 (WP34C) on DM42 sn. 03818 & 06199 for complex math, HP42S; HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; owned FX702P & 11C; used HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
User avatar
H2X
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am
Location: Norway

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by H2X »

Of course! I am just brainstorming (hopefully not -farting...) :-)
DM42 #40 running C43 | DM41X #50 | various HP models
The earth is flat. It just appears round because it is massive and curves spacetime.
Dani R.
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Dani R. »

There are ideas to implement a LISTVIEW (instead of the softmenu), especially for constants and FNCS. With a LISTVIEW you would perhaps bring less than the 18 possible constants to the screen, but it would be possible to add a very short description to the constants. If (the one to be developed) LISTVIEW was open, the (direct) function keys would get the functionality to handle the list.

H2X wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:29 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 pm
Maybe precede the value with X: or Y:, etc.
Or utilising the softmenu space for this?

The softmenu space might be put to interesting use if we do something similar with constants as well.

Getting ahead of myself (fart warning), there might be some operations which might be assigned to softkeys in this SHOW mode, e.g. copy, print, take screenshot, show next / previous chunk of decimals...

Edit: increase / decrease font size for readability or showing more decimals...

Edit2: toggle ENG / SCI mode (temporarily)...

With some care, your ideas can complement each other (f-function keys?).
DM42 SN:00032
User avatar
H2X
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am
Location: Norway

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by H2X »

Dani R. wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:12 pm
f-function keys?
Yes, I was thinking the FN1-6 keys, unshifted as I don't think more than 6 operations need be presented. Which suggests a one-line softmenu, leaving screen space free.
DM42 #40 running C43 | DM41X #50 | various HP models
The earth is flat. It just appears round because it is massive and curves spacetime.
User avatar
Jaymos
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:03 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos »

Jaymos wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:01 pm


So, for now I will stick to the large font display already done, as well as to try the arrows up/down for X through D.

BTW, I already implemented screen print the same way as it is done on DM42: keep in the shift key while pressing DISP. It saves the screen image to the folder /SCREENS/.
  • I have fiddled a lot to see what is possible with SHOW:
  • It does large digits for REAL and COMPLEX, as well as for long integers, and when the length gets too long it reduces the font to print more digits.
  • If you press SHOW, it starts with the X register, and with Up and Dn (if no menu is up) it cycles through all the named registers, X-D, I, J, K & L.
  • I added the register name left of the first line.
  • If you press SHOW it clears the four the registers from the screen, but leaves the softmenu on the screen if it was there. I tried to remove the softmenu when SHOW is called, but the logic of when the softmenu must pop on again, the key control, and that together with the arrows cycling between registers, were a bit confusing, so I removed this feature again.
  • I added a one line menu, but it did not work well, so I removed this feature again.
.
See the sample screen showing a complex number:
.
Clipboard10.png
Clipboard10.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
C43 (WP34C) on DM42 sn. 03818 & 06199 for complex math, HP42S; HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; owned FX702P & 11C; used HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
User avatar
H2X
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am
Location: Norway

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by H2X »

Jaymos wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:37 am
  • I have fiddled a lot to see what is possible with SHOW:
  • It does large digits for REAL and COMPLEX, as well as for long integers, and when the length gets too long it reduces the font to print more digits.
  • If you press SHOW, it starts with the X register, and with Up and Dn (if no menu is up) it cycles through all the named registers, X-D, I, J, K & L.
  • I added the register name left of the first line.
  • If you press SHOW it clears the four the registers from the screen, but leaves the softmenu on the screen if it was there. I tried to remove the softmenu when SHOW is called, but the logic of when the softmenu must pop on again, the key control, and that together with the arrows cycling between registers, were a bit confusing, so I removed this feature again.
  • I added a one line menu, but it did not work well, so I removed this feature again.
It sounds like SHOW is not yet modal, and some details might be discussed and experimented with, but jolly good job so far! The Myopian People all over the globe will be eternally grateful for proving this possible!
DM42 #40 running C43 | DM41X #50 | various HP models
The earth is flat. It just appears round because it is massive and curves spacetime.
User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1680
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Walter »

H2X wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:39 am
The Myopian People all over the globe will be eternally grateful for proving this possible!
Just a little remark: If you claim you care for visually challenged people, stay coherent! Enlarge the font size of your menus as well, the size of the status bar, and the prints on the keyplate. Just saying... :mrgreen:
DM42 SN: 00041 Beta
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-35S, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L
User avatar
H2X
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am
Location: Norway

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by H2X »

Walter wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:51 am
H2X wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:39 am
The Myopian People all over the globe will be eternally grateful for proving this possible!
Just a little remark: If you claim you care for visually challenged people, stay coherent! Enlarge the font size of your menus as well, the size of the status bar, and the prints on the keyplate. Just saying... :mrgreen:
I disagree.

Menu items, status bar items, prints on the keyplate and keys themselves are inherently different by virtue of being constant values and having a fixed position. Pattern recognition and muscle memory will apply.

PS: If any Myopians have any opinion on this, I would love to hear about it and learn how to address it.
DM42 #40 running C43 | DM41X #50 | various HP models
The earth is flat. It just appears round because it is massive and curves spacetime.
User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1680
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Walter »

H2X wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 am
If any Myopians have any opinion on this, I would love to hear about it and learn how to address it.
Done already. ;)

(I doubt, however, that you meant what you wrote. :? Aren't you talking about hyperopic or presbyopic people? :geek: But how can I know what you mean if I can only read what you write? :? :? )
DM42 SN: 00041 Beta
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-35S, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L
User avatar
H2X
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am
Location: Norway

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by H2X »

Walter wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:41 am
H2X wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 am
If any Myopians have any opinion on this, I would love to hear about it and learn how to address it.
Done already. ;)

(I doubt, however, that you meant what you wrote. :? Aren't you talking about hyperopic or presbyopic people? :geek: )
I stand corrected! :-)

I still think that the fundamental point is valid, even if we exclude Myopians and include other visually challenged tribes. I also suspect that enlarging the entire calculator is not an option.

And I'd love to hear from more experts in the field, i.e. those wearing the shoes (or in this case, the visual aids).
DM42 #40 running C43 | DM41X #50 | various HP models
The earth is flat. It just appears round because it is massive and curves spacetime.
Post Reply