WP43 Alternative key layout --> C43

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Jaymos

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos »

rprosperi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:52 pm
Makes good sense since that key is also Alpha "D", an additional mnemonic to help out.
True! Did not think of that.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

I found a way to make the Windows CALC KEY on the keyboard start my favourite Windows calculator. It really beats the stock doze calculator hands down. The complication was that it needed an intermediary batch file to make sure the working directory is set up correctly.

Make a simple folder, not a folder with a complicated path or date or version number to prevent you having to redo the registry when you update your simulator version. Copy the simulator, complete, to this folder. I used c:\wp43c. Double click this wp43c.exe file and make sure the simulator works. If it doesn't, don't proceed, and fix it until it does.

Make the following batch file called wp43c.cmd and store it in the same folder. I saved wp43c.cmd to c:\wp43c. Double click this wp43c.cmd file and make sure the simulator works. If it doesn't, don't proceed, and fix it until it does:

Code: Select all

cd c:\wp43c
start "" "wp43c.exe"
Make the following text registry file called wp43c.reg and store it in the same folder. Note the double slashes used for single slashes:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\18]
"ShellExecute"="c:\\wp43c\\wp43c.cmd"
Double click the wp43c.reg file, and agree to add the info to your registry.

My CALC key brings up the simulator on my Windows 10. Mileage may vary with the M$ stuff. I know little of Windows differences and requirements - I use Windows for real work only ;-)
Clipboard03.png
Clipboard03.png (156.74 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Jaymos wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 pm
Dani R. wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:57 am
... I am still busy with coding the text file config for XEQMENU (and as H2X suggested, maybe the text file config works well for the fixed 3 screens of the HOME menu too. I think that will be sweet.)...
There is a file or several files which can be prepared on a PC. You can store 18 RPN programs in it. Or maybe more.
Currently the thinking is to start with a single file, which has the sole purpose of defining 18 labels X_P1 to X_g6.
Currently it has a fixed file name, but later, once it can be figured out how to do the file browser, you can select the file. You could have different files in /PROGRAMS/.
I did quite a bit of chiselling on this concept. I found it hard to do all ideas at once, so I abandoned some. Let me summarise the direction, and what is working:

0. XEQM is a new custom menu hidden on a long press of XEQ. It is meant to be a PC configurable custom menu, which has nothing to do with the MyMenu system which still will work as per 43S.

1. The 18 soft keys of XEQM are user programmable using (currently) a very basic subset of commands. That will expand later.

2. On the flash drive is a PROGRAMS directory, with any number of files in there. Up to 18 files can be there with names XEQM00.TXT through XEQM18.TXT, and these reflect the 18 softkey positions in XEQM.

3. Currently I still do not know how to properly do the file browser, so it can wait. Someone else can also fix that!
Clipboard03.png
Clipboard03.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
Example of a collection of programs, all located on disk, appearing on the XEQM menu. g[F5] is the specific program listed below, and the graphical output it made, below.
Will it be possible to call these programs via XEQ ALHPA?
Yes, you can actually call them via the normal CAT functions using alpha, but the names from the files are display names only. The actual 18 buttons are still internally called XEQM08 and so can be started from CAT.

But this is not to be a replacement of the programming model of the 43S. That would be the main and proper way with which you program the calculator. And you do it without a PC. The purpose of this is to do something now, and to create a PC managed softmenu menu which is on a easy shortcut.

I think H2X thought it would be a bit simpler, but this is more complicated. Basically, you can imagine that you "only" store the key codes in the menu table, the 'item'.
I improved it quite a lot. The RPN code looks pretty usable to me now. And the fact that the files are less complicated, i.e. one file per softy. And if you do not have files, no matter, no loss. So, I think it may be a bit closer to Haakon's vision. Haakon?

Here is a fairly complicated example with comments. This is probably way more intense than I would put on the menu, but it is possible.

XEQLBL 17 PLOT_LP  //RE-BINDS THE TEXT "PLOT_LP" TO THE SOFTMENU 17, i.e. G[FN5]
                   //PROGRAM TO PLOT 100 RANDOM NUMBERS ON A LINE
                   //BRIEF: PLOT Y = 0.1 X + 3 + RAN#, for X starting at -10 to 20 
CLSUM                 //CLEAR STATS DATA. USE CLSUM AS THE INTERPRETER CANNOT HANDLE NON ASCII LETTERS LIKE CLΣ
TICKS STO "01"        //GET CURRENT TIME IN 0.1 SECOND UNITS

"20" STO "00"         //CHOOSE LOOP COUNTER STARTING AT 20 AND DECREMENTS TO 0
STO "02"              //LOOP COUNTER START VALUE

LBL M1                //CREATE LOOPING LABEL. FOUR LABELS AVAILABLE M1, M2, M3, M4   
RCL "02"              //GET THE START VALUE OF THE LOOP COUNTER 20
RCL "00" -            //REVERSE THE X RANGE TO 1 TO 20
XEQ M4                //CALL SUBROUTINE TO PRODUCE Y AND X. NO NESTING POSSIBLE.
SUM+                  //USE SUM+ TO SEND X&Y TO STATS BUFFER. NOTE THE INTERPRETER CANNOT HANDLE Σ+   
DSZ "00"              //DSZ, DECREMENT AND SKIP NEXT COMMAND IF RESULT WAS ZERO
GTO M1                //THE GTO IS SKIPPED IF THE RESULT WAS 0

TICKS                 //GET CLOCK STATUS
RCL "01" -            //GET STORED CLOCK STATUS. SUBTRACT TO GET EXPIRED TIME
"10" /                //DIVIDE BY 10 TO GET SECONDS
PLOT                  //PLOTS THE STATS DATA
RETURN                //STOPS PROCESSING

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBL M4                //CREATE X FROM THE 0 TO 19 COUNTER
"19" / "30" *         //SCALE THE RANGE FROM 0-19 TO 0-30 
"10" -                //SHIFT THE X RANGE TO -10 to 20
ENTER                 //DUPLICATE X TO Y
"0.1" * "3" + RAN# +  //CALCULATE Y WHICH IS NOW IN X
X<>Y                  //SWAP TO GET Y AND X IN THE CORRECT STACK REGISTERS FOR STATS
RTN                   //RETURN TO MAIN PROGRAM
END                   //OPTIONAL END OF PROCESSING MARKER. NOTHING AFTER THIS GETS PARSED.
The RPN code in the files is pretty much free form. Vertical and horizontal spacing is not fixed. You can have all code in one long line! The point is one can arrange it nicely to create structure to the code.

Clipboard04.png
Clipboard04.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
Example PC file based program appearing on XEQM'g[FN5], called PLOT_LP. See the top line in the code, which is XEQLBL 17 PLOT_LP. This is the button name assignment, i.e. XEQLABEL number 17 (counted from bottom left) and the text PLOT_LP.

But if you don't know the numbers of the item, it becomes difficult. Then you would have to have a utility program on your PC to select and place the functions.

I did not like the numbers. They still work, but I would rather like a basic subset but in plain text like in the example.

What does XEQM do, does it open the last loaded file with the 18 menu entries into the menu? Will this menu remain in the menu stack? Does it leave with EXIT?
I decided (at the moment) not to save the menu as part of the calculator's config storage, but to automatically check for all 18 files and load it from disk when a RESET is done, and, every time you press a softkey, it first reloads that softkey's file. That way the program files can change no problem. That is quite useful on the PC, where the files can change while the simulator is on, and every time you press, it first reloads that file and re-assigns the button name.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
H2X

Post by H2X »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:10 am
I think H2X thought it would be a bit simpler, but this is more complicated. Basically, you can imagine that you "only" store the key codes in the menu table, the 'item'.
I improved it quite a lot. The RPN code looks pretty usable to me now. And the fact that the files are less complicated, i.e. one file per softy. And if you do not have files, no matter, no loss. So, I think it may be a bit closer to Haakon's vision. Haakon?
Quite! Well done! :-)
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

I had some work after Martin's significant changes made to the main project the last two weeks or so ... he really made a lot of good changes in the consistency and internal operation, as well as the complete settings management in the 43S. So, making sure it still fits with the 42S inspired UI, is hard work, but it is mostly done now.

I decided to keep the main UI type settings in the "old" style of the 42S. That is RadioButton and Checkbox options, and more scroll up menus above DISP and MODE. I also included from MODE a shortcut screen "CFG" which shows the SY.FL options (which I also gave Checkboxes!), but it goes directly to a flip flag menu to directly change the standard 43S system flags without first going to the FLAGS menu and reach for CF, FF or SF.
Clipboard06.png
Clipboard06.png (1.94 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
The standard SYS.FL menu directly enters a flip flag menu, and displays Checkboxes next to all actual changable flag statuses, with no boxes next to system flags which are not settable.
I also did not like the new FLAGS'STATUS flag browser, so I resurrected the old browser and combined it with the new STATUS with up and down arrows changing between the 3 screens. Best of both. I love to see all 100 flags at one glance again - that was a perfect way to show the flags.
Clipboard07.png
Clipboard07.png (3.52 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
The g[Dn] calls up this FLGS browser, pressing [Up] a few times cycles to the old (modified) global flags browser, then to the new 43S STATUS screen, and back.
And then after some use and playing a lot on the DM42 hardware with my 43C, I saw that with short numbers in SIG 5, or UNIT 4, where my 43C mostly lives, that long long integers really look long, so I decided to increase the font of long long integers, and chop them off earlier. If I really need more/all the digits, SHOW is easily accessible from f[SHOW] or by just scrolling Up/Dn if there are no menus.
Clipboard05.png
Clipboard05.png (236.09 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
Second DISP page, showing the LRG.LI (Large LongInt) option, with some of the other "old" options I retained.
Also note the X register: top the standard 43S way showing f[pi] [ENTER] 10E55
[*] [>I], middle the option [LRG.LI] activated, and bottom after f[SHOW] was pressed. Note f[SHOW] will go to the small font if the number is increasing beyond the length of the large font.[/i]
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

The newest Windows simulator and DM42 firmware is available here. Also, the code can be compiled from Gitlab.

The Gitlab WP43C 'Jaco-Working' branch (8087a62) is the latest version and is confirmed to compile on Windows (Dani) and Mac (Jaco). There was feedback that an earlier version on Gitlab did not compile under Linux. Let me know any feedback on problematic compiles, I have no idea how to fix the Linux compiles, but maybe we can share it here if there is a trick. (Note the default branch 'master' is the older stable version, i.e. not this latest release).

Download Page for the Windows simulator and DM42 firmware, as well as a short description of the XEQM stuff, as well as this summary in text file.

It remains a work in progress, and I am working on a summary of what the C43 is already, and what changes to WP43S already have been made and are working on DM42 and Simulator. This list will make its way to a summary page on my new C43 web page (in progress) and also in my larger changes document. Below headings, grouping differences to the WP43S:

The latest significant changes are:
WP43S new settings regime imported (SYS.FL), and modified (CFG); introduction of multiple keyboard options (KEYS); swapping over key layouts to WP43S, V43, C43, DM42 and more; the first test of XEQM RPN scripting and long press access of yellow HP42S math commands.

Thanks Dani for the Windows simulator compile!

Any questions, please ask, I'll answer them here as good as I can.

Differences to the WP43S

HP42S inspired:
  • Primary and f key layout a reminder of HP42S and DM42.
  • BASE menu with HEX, DEC, etc. and short integer shortcuts, and A-F.
  • LastX on keyboard.
  • Stack displays X..T have constant digit size.
  • Settings in the MODE and DISP menus, duplicated in WP43S system flags.
  • Setting status displayed on soft menu buttons, i.e. on/off, selected, or value.
  • WP 43S system flags indicate current state and can be directly changed.
Large digits where possible:
  • Stack display always uses large digits for all numbers.
  • SHOW displays large digits when possible.
  • SHOW changes to small font size for very long integers.
  • SHOW and stack use small font size for alphanumeric text (I did try large letter alphanumerics but there are too many characters not printing on the screen).
Shift savers:
  • The 14 yellow math functions f[Σ+] through f[X<>Y] are accessible without shift by long press.
  • Soft menu f and g items are accessible by long press of the FN key with an underline indicating the function selected.
  • Double tap backspace does CLX.
  • Long press backspace does CLSTK.
  • Long press XEQ does the XEQM menu.
  • With no soft menu present, FN keys do the yellow text underneath (I>, y^x, x^2, 10^x, e^x & x√y).
  • With no soft menu present, Up/Dn goes to SHOW and scrolls through the registers X, Y,...L.
  • Triple click shift button does the HOME menu.
  • Long press shift button cycles f, g & HOME menu.
Single shift f/g:
  • One press for f, two presses for g, three presses within the second for HOME.
  • Alternative layout on the bezel plate with f on COS and g on TAN.
KEYS menu:
  • KEYS, new C43 soft menu for assigned keys,
  • Pre-set key assignment layouts with shift keys and alpha keys options.
  • Pre-set key assignment layouts for DM42, V43, WP43S and C43 ALT key layouts.
  • Σ+ key assignment in both normal and in user modes.
  • A softmenu mirror of the actual assigned keys (HOME Dn Dn).
XEQM menu:
  • XEQM, new C43 soft menu, accessed by long press of XEQ.
  • Custom menu with 18 user soft menu items.
  • Configured by basic RPN script in 18 text files.
  • Scripting includes custom GOTO, XEQ, DSZ & ISZ for looping functions.
  • Configuration by 18 text files in the PROGRAMS folder on the flash drive.
  • XEQM independent from WP 43S “MyMenu”, which will also be supported.
HOME menu:
  • HOME, new C43 soft menu, accessed by shift key and also g[7].
  • HOME menu combines useful functions together in one menu.
  • Four softmenu screens with useful interactive mode functions grouped together.
  • SI prefix shortcut multipliers f, p, µ, m, k, M, G, T.
  • Keyboard help: keyboard functions mirrored in soft menus in three ways.
  • Useful also for DM42 without labels.
STAT:
  • Σ+ entry stores 400 x,y pairs for plotting (16 digit reals to save space).
  • Σ+ entry recorded in tab separated TSV files in the DATA folder on the flash drive.
  • LISTXY function shows the last 10 x,y pairs entered.
  • Σ+ key can be re-configured. Σ- key is replaced with I>. Both Σ+ and Σ- are available in STAT menu.
General:
  • g[Dn] FLGS browser shows all 100 global flags at once.
  • Up/Dn in flags browser cycles to the new STATUS screens.
  • DISP: SIG n displays n+1 significant digits (eg. 𝛑/100 in SIG2 shows 0.031 4, compared to FIX2 which shows 0.03).
  • DISP: UNIT n postfixes SI multipliers (f, p, µ, m, k, M, G, T) to the stack display (eg. 𝛑/100 in UNIT2 shows 31.4 m).
  • Soft menus contain all functions, including those located on the keyboard.
  • Intuitive grouping of binary/hex digits while entering numbers.
  • Setting for large or small digit font.
  • Double click on FN for g[FN].
  • eRPN setting, like the new style RPN on HP20B and 30B (eRPN does not duplicate X upon entry, like RPL does).
  • Default entry type can be changed to real, complex, long or short integers in addition of the 43S long integer/real default.

Error savers:
  • >R & >P does not error if X contains a complex number, instead it sets the POLAR flag accordingly, i.e. changes RECT/POLAR mode.
  • >I rounds reals and allows rounding of integers without error.
  • Angle (arg) is allowed for reals or integer numbers without error.

Functions:
  • >I key added in place of Σ-, rounds and toggles between long and short integer types.
  • d.ms key on g[LOG] changed to .ms, which toggles between d.ms, h.ms and the current angular mode (not working yet, paused until finality on the d.ms usage, and implementing of the h.ms functionality on 43S).
  • d.ms moved to MODE together with DEG, RAD, etc.
  • EE function menus including star/delta, sequence components, 3-phase impedances, all operating on either real or complex numbers. Requests for custom menus for other disciplines welcome.
edit:
ps. I forgot to add the new KEYS layout indicating the various options on the key layouts... see below:
Clipboard10.png
Clipboard10.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

I saw an interesting Youtube vid on BINET's formula tonight, and what happens in the complex plane if you expand N to the rational numbers.

So I thought my C43 is ready for a quick test of the XEQM programming code, and I tried it out and got this nice screen capture. It was an easy task, except I had to add the RE and IM commands in the code which were not part of the basic set for XEQM. But now it is.

It takes 13 seconds to run on the simulator for 100 points of the graph. I fear that will be a lot longer on the hardware.
Clipboard11.png
Clipboard11.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
BINET's formula for N=-2 to 5 in 100 points, plotted on the complex RE/IM plane. One can easily spot the Fibonacci numbers on the real axis as the locus passes through them, i.e. at x= -1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5 and the interesting part (for me) is the loop formed at x=1, maintaining the 1, 1 of the well known F series at N=1 and N=2 !
Amazed ;-)

//PROGRAM TO PLOT BINET'S FORMULA: PLOT ( (phi)^n - (-phi)^-n ) /sqrt(5) IN COMPLEX PLANE FOR N IS RATIONAL

XEQLBL 12 B.PLOT         // BINDS THE PROGRAM NAME TO THE SOFTMENU BUTTON ON SCREEN
  CLSUM                  // CLEAR STATS DATA. CLΣ.
  TICKS STO "01"         // GET CURRENT TIME IN 0.1 SECOND UNITS           
  "101" STO "00"         // 100 LOOPS, COUNTER REG00, 101 (STARTNO) DECREMENTS TO 1, AT 0 IT SKIPS
  STO "02"               // LOOP START VALUE STORED FOR LATER USE

LBL M1                 // CREATE LOOPING LABEL. FOUR LABELS AVAILABLE M1, M2, M3, M4   
    RCL "02"             // GET THE START VALUE OF THE LOOP COUNTER
    RCL "00" -           // REVERSE THE RANGE TO: 0 TO STARTNO-1
    XEQ M4               // CALL SUBROUTINE TO PRODUCE Y AND X. NO NESTING POSSIBLE.
    SUM+                 // USE SUM+ TO SEND X&Y TO STATS BUFFER. Σ+.   
    DSZ "00"             // DECREMENT AND SKIP NEXT COMMAND IF RESULT ZERO
  GTO M1                 // THE GTO IS SKIPPED IF RESULT 0

TICKS                  // GET CLOCK STATUS
  RCL "01" -             // GET STORED CLOCK STATUS. SUBTRACT TO GET EXPIRED TIME
  "10" /                 // DIVIDE BY 10 TO GET SECONDS
  PLOT                   // PLOTS THE STATS DATA
RETURN                   // STOPS PROCESSING

//---SUBROUTINE----------   ------------------------------------------------------------
LBL M4                   // CALC SUBROUTINE: N IS 0 TO (STARTNO-1)
  RCL "02" "1" - / "7" * // SCALE THE RANGE BY DIVIDING BY (STARTNO-1) AND MULT BY 7
  "2" -                  // SHIFT THE X RANGE TO -2 TO 5

ENTER ENTER            // EXTRA DUPLICATE N IN CASE NOT eRPN
  PHI X<>Y Y^X           // PHI^N
  X<>Y                   // GET N
  PHI CHS X<>Y CHS Y^X   // (-PHI)^-N
  - "5" SQRT /           // SUBTRACT & DIV BY SQRT 5 
  ENTER IM X<>Y RE       // DUPLICATE FOR SPLITTING UP AND SPLIT UP INTO X Y

RTN                      // RETURN TO MAIN PROGRAM
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
H2X

Post by H2X »

Jaymos wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:06 am
I saw an interesting Youtube vid on BINET's formula tonight, and what happens in the complex plane if you expand N to the rational numbers.

Amazed ;-)
Nice! :-)

It would be interesting to see how long the DM42 hardware takes to execute the same program.

PS: Could you share that youtube link?
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

H2X wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:08 am
Jaymos wrote:

Amazed ;-)
Nice! :-)

It would be interesting to see how long the DM42 hardware takes to execute the same program.

PS: Could you share that youtube link?
Ok, I transferred the program text file to the DM42, and did it with and without USB power.

152.6 seconds with USB power.
505.9 seconds without USB.
20200711-09124441.bmp
20200711-09124441.bmp (12.31 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Exact same program, exact same image, except when saved from the hardware, it goes green LCD colour, as opposed to using the clipboard on the Mac sim, it goes grey LCD. I like the difference, then I know where I did it.

Last night, after the video, I immediately noticed that my graph was flipped vertically from the one in the video. So I made a simple RPN program to place on f[FN11] which just does the Binet function only, and did a few manual tests and confirmed my graph was right. I checked the imag polarity at N between 3.5 and 4.5 (4 not a Fibonacci number), and it should be positive.

XEQLBL 11 BINET  //RE-BINDS THE PROGRAM NAME TO THE SOFTMENU
                 //BRIEF:  Y =( (phi)^n - (-phi)^-n ) /sqrt(5)

ENTER ENTER      //in case not eRPN
PHI X<>Y Y^X
X<>Y
PHI CHS X<>Y CHS Y^X
- "5" SQRT /
Here the function I called "BINET" on the softkey f[F11] and nicely does the formula, even for complex input, FWIW.

To double check I also made the same function on Wolfram|Alpha here.

Youtube video referred to
Clipboard12.png
Clipboard12.png (94.2 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
PierreMengisen

Post by PierreMengisen »

And just for fun....
Jaymos wrote:
BINET's formula
BINET.raw
(140 Bytes) Downloaded 166 times
... on my super DM42
Attachments
20200711-20482254.bmp
20200711-20482254.bmp (12.31 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
Pierre
[TI59 with PC100C; TI-84 Plus CE-T; HP41CV with HP IL loop & 2*82161A DCD & 82162 TP; HP15C; HP28S; DM41; DM41L; DM42; DM41X]