WP43 Alternative key layout --> C43

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Jaymos

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos »

The new update, to the latest C43 revision can be found here at https://classic43.com/downloads/2022-03 ... 107_15.zip

The zip file has the usual variety of combinations of the various compiles, i.e. L1, L42, qspi, no qspi, and the no-qspi try-out version of the 43S for the DM42 USER mode keyboard, called WP43SJM.

This version includes the key text changes discussed above, quite a bit more mods on the graphics and a update to 43S 0.22.3+ (the plus is for one bugfix later than the release, as it is the latest code imported).

The no-qspi versions are somewhat hamstrung as normal, with some functionalities removed from the hardware version. I did however include a C43 qspi version with no removed functions for the adventurous. I did not test it on the hardware as I find it a pain to manage the qspi. Try if you like to venture it.

Let me know what does not work - I do not have as much time to test anymore, so an update like this is likely to sport some interesting importation type bugs - so let me know and lets rack and stack the bugs for systematic removal!
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

I thought I'd try the QSPI version, but I can't seem to load it. This is what I did.
  • I copied 107_15L42_qspi.bin and 107_15L42.pgm to my DM42 root directory, and removed all other pgm and QSPI files.
  • I used "Load QSPI from FAT" to load the QSPI file. This worked.
  • After that, the DM42 automatically tried to load the previous pgm file (which wasn't there any more). I reset the machine, and used "Load Program" to load 107_15L42.pgm. This loaded, but at the final stage it displayed this screen:

Code: Select all

Program: WP43C
Version: 848927ea-mod
QSPI SIZE: 1379864 CRC: 000cfed6
QSPI NOT LOADED
I couldn't get any further. (Clearly the QSPI size listed above is wrong - if this is what the pgm file is expecting, it would explain the problem.)

As a test, I then tried loading the WP43S qspi and pgm files; this worked without any problems.

I hope this is useful!

Nigel (UK)
petrescu

Post by petrescu »

I just started using my DM42 calculator. I am learning how to use it.

For C43, me too I have tried the QSPI PGM separation combo of C43, but it does not work. QSPI loads fine but then the separated PGM does not accept that QSPI.

The PGM version (the one in the folder 'restricted') loads fine though.

- the foldername containing only the PGM says 'restricted'. What does this 'restricted' mean? Does it mean that it does not include all the functionalities that the Windows simulator have? Because some buttons dont work, even if they are not barred, like 'ASSESS'. When pressed, 'ASSESS' does not react. I would have expected it to draw the curve. The Windows simulator does draw the curve.

- right after loading the PGM, the initial display is fine, but pressing the R/S button, next to bottom right, provokes a crash 'Oops, I've crashed!'. Have then to press Exit to reset.
petrescu

Post by petrescu »

test to see whether it shows up, ignore
Zucca

Post by Zucca »

Hi Jaymos,

first of all thanks for your work and effort.
The C43 looks good.

I just got in my hands a DM42 (consider me a beginner) and I am planing to use it as C43.
Having sin, cos, tan right there, and maintaing the DM42 keys are a big plus for me.

Can we furthermore agree that the C43 is more suited for elec. engineers [EE] vs the WP43S?
You indeed rearranged some complex number menu/functions and created an ELEC menu.

Brilliant. I am an EE as you, and complex number are a top priority.

I am a long time member of the EEVBlog forum, where most of active users are EEs like us.

Before I post something there to make the EE community (more) aware about your job I wold like to ask you permission for that.
Do you want to go deeper with more EE nice features suggested in the future by the EE community or you want to keep the C43 more generic/general purpose (and think what you already implemented is enough)?

Anyway, I think the more C43 users we are the better.
Of course I will mention the immense and wonderfull W43S project too.

Furthermore I need some clarification about what exactely the QSPI/no-QSPI (Quad serial peripheral interface??) versions are. Probably something to do with QSPI flash, but the connections with the calculator functions is still mainly an obscure point for me...

Maybe this?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3138

So far here my understanding:

L1: C43 layout with f and g shift
L42: Straight DM42 keyboard with no change
qspi: ???
no-qspi: ???
no-qspi WP43SJM: try-out version of the 43S for the DM42 USER mode keyboard

Is the WP43SJM referring to this?
viewtopic.php?t=2964

We could include a readme.txt file in your .zip to quickly orient new users.

That's all, thanks againg you and the C43 team (Nigel) for your hard work.

Zucca
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Hi Zucca,
Zucca wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:35 pm
Can we furthermore agree that the C43 is more suited for elec. engineers [EE] vs the WP43S?
You indeed rearranged some complex number menu/functions and created an ELEC menu.

Brilliant. I am an EE as you, and complex number are a top priority.
I first made the fork because I wanted my own calculator to be more 42S-like and while using it, and I found that the WP43S complex arrangements as well as the angular arrangements were not optimal for EE. As you well know, we see complex numbers as normal numbers and should be equally usable without flow restrictions on the calculator.

Regarding complex operations, note that also the CPX menu is different from WP43S, with more emphasis on the more useful aspects on the shift-less buttons, and easy reference to RECT/POLAR modes. And the CC function was demoted off the the CPX and HOME menus and replaced with the 42S compatible COMPLEX function.
[/quote]

Zucca wrote:
Before I post something there to make the EE community (more) aware about your job I wold like to ask you permission for that.
Posting: no problem
Zucca wrote:
Do you want to go deeper with more EE nice features suggested in the future by the EE community or you want to keep the C43 more generic/general purpose (and think what you already implemented is enough)?
The ELEC menu is still incomplete and can be expanded a lot. I need to re-evaluate the content of ELEC menu because it was made in the days before MyMenu and matrices were possible. Code may need some upgrading.

I offered to add menus like the ELEC menu for other disciplines as well, but no takers. I suppose it is easy enough to add functions in WP43S. We did have lively discussion on the BASE menu, which I think is a good way using the original HP42S as starting point.

I am interested to add more to ELEC, but we need to watch the firmware space - it is filling up the allocated space. To counter the firmware size problem, it will be cleverer to do add-on functions as RPN code on the flash drive and link it in into custom menus. None of that was available when I did the original ELEC menu, but I should change the ELEC menu to load content from disk as the C43 code is too big.

That is a complex task to change and I will wait for the programming part of WP43S to be 100% and then change it to use that.

Work on both C43 and WP43S from my side has been a bit slow due to real work and when I do restart coding after my real project, I have to first complete my outstanding WP43S tasks, then this ...

Zucca wrote:
Of course I will mention the immense and wonderfull W43S project too.
It is extremely important that you do not create an impression that C43 is a project on its own. It is not. It is FULLY dependent on the great work done by the WP43S team.

It is essentially a user interface spin-off with a few deeper changes.
Zucca wrote:
Furthermore I need some clarification about what exactly the QSPI/no-QSPI (Quad serial peripheral interface??) versions are. Probably something to do with QSPI flash, but the connections with the calculator functions is still mainly an obscure point for me...

Maybe this?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3138
Yes this. That is the problem.

WP43S always is with QSPI. All fixed texts, menus and some other stuff gets compiled into this serial memory QSPI area to save code space and increase the available size for the program executable.

C43 always is non-QSPI, which means the existing QSPI need not be changed, and the code can live on the flash disk in parallel to Nigel's WP34S port, the original DM42, etc. but the problem is the code already is too big, therefore parts of the code (some functions) are cut to make this version fit without QSPI. (I am reconsidering this now).

L1: is the "preferred" layout which will correspond to the metal face plate.
L42: is more DM42 faceplate compatible, but not 100%. It is easier to use this one if you have no temporary paper faceplate for basic functions. Some people like that, but some (including me) prefer L1.

The C43 QSPI version in the last release was to try access all functions of C43 on the hardware. This was not successful - see the post above stating it does not work. The QSPI version needs debugging.

All C43 versions have a single yellow shift key only.

WP43SJM: try-out version of the 43S for the DM42 USER mode keyboard. This keyboard has both f and g on the usual places instead of COS and TAN.
Zucca wrote:
Is the WP43SJM referring to this?
viewtopic.php?t=2964
No - it is a special test version of WP43S, with basic USER key mapping, to swap the keys to DM42 layout. There is an image on the distro that shows the key labels. Not all functions of WP43S works on this version due to the keyboard issues - but all basic calculator functions do work.

Zucca wrote:
We could include a readme.txt file in your .zip to quickly orient new users.
Please prepare a file - I will gladly include it.

Also look at the project site - https://gitlab.com/Jaymos/wp43c/-/issues
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Zucca

Post by Zucca »

Thanks for all the information.

Post@EEVBlog done.

I will start to work on a Readme.txt soon.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos, thank you for your work on this project--my hat's off to anyone who jumps into projects like this with both feet!

I'd like to try out the WP43S, but it requires a template and 17 key stickers--which is 15 more stickers than I want to deal with. (I was hoping to use ASSIGN to move keys around to limit the number of stickers needed, but for the moment there's an ASSIGN bug that prevents moving the [EXIT] and [UP] and [DOWN] keys.)

I'm also looking at your innovative WP43C project. Question: Is http://cocoon-creations.com/download/WP ... s_v047.pdf up to date on all of the changes between the WP43C and the WP43S?

Also, you mentioned above that you're reconsidering your approach to the QSPI. As for me, I'd enjoy having the full feature set available (although I do appreciate that tweaking the QSPI code every time you release an update will cause you extra work).

Thank you again for your work. Cheers!
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Thank you for the kind words.

My time has been limited by my business in recent months, so I am behind in my WP43S tasks as well as updating my C43 updates! So much so that I have not been on the forum and missed your post for a whole month. This is not due to dwindling interest, I can assure you.

Hopefully I will be back soon!

To your questions:

The comparison document you refer to is way out of date. Sorry.

The QSPI attempt I made, did not work - Nigel reported that. I will try again certainly.

Finally, the keys: the 43SJM test version has the standard 43S software, with USER keys pre-programmed to startup in USER mode using the C43 keys. There is a jpg in the latest zipped compilation showing the key layout for that too. A lot less stickers needed.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:47 am
So much so that I have not been on the forum and missed your post for a whole month. This is not due to dwindling interest, I can assure you.
Glad to hear it's just "work", and not something serious!