WP43 Alternative key layout --> C43

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Jaymos

Re: 43S Alternative key layout

Post by Jaymos »

Dani R. wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:21 am
Jaymos wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:26 am
5. Made double dots on g menu line, to match the new dots on the keyboard. See pic.
Unshifted and [f] would have one point and [g] two? I don't think this is necessary. Maybe you want to solve the marking of the selected line completely different in the future, INVERS for example.
I do not like the double dots as is. It is too harsh and intrusive. And it looks messy.

I also don't like the full INVERSE - I think it is too intrusive.

I thought of a way to possibly use graphics to make two small dots (almost like ":") for g, and a single dot for f. I have it on my list to check. This way would not make it messy, but "draw" the circles without the whitespace.

If I can't get it more subtle, I will return to the single dots as I had it before.

Jaymos wrote:
9. Lastx implemented and added on [f] [x<>y] in place of FILL.

302. DONE. Put LastX on HOME menu, if not on button. Could take the place of x! On “L”. Need to make a new function for this.

501. “Lx” for Last x above L
Absolutely happy with that. You can drop item 501.
Agree. Marked as CANCELLED on the list.
Jaymos wrote:
10. Placed FILL, DROP & X<>Y in the STK menu, as they were somehow not placed there by the main project.
Since FILL has disappeared from the keyboard, I would already take DROP out of the keyboard for symmetrical and aesthetic reasons, and since we have also learned that if you can't remove anything anymore, perfection has been achieved.
I don't want to lose DROP. Maybe move it one button or so in the area, but not lose it. I use it a lot. It is a bit of a mix between the 28C newer style and the classic style. I like it.
Jaymos wrote:
202. Fix Alpha key layout and menus that is broken due to layout change
Just as a reminder, whoever it is should solve it.
I need to do it. Not urgent. But I need to check in the code what broke.
Jaymos wrote:
401. Consider changing back to yellow for MODE, DISP & CLR
I tried earlier in this thread to explain why you should always keep the function at [f] and the menu at [g] when both a function and a menu are on the same key. In the case of MODES and DISP, I have to say that I always have to search which menu contains the function I want to use. As a DM42 user I don't mind if the menu is at a [g] position. Generally speaking, simplified. Positions of functions are burned into the muscle memory (ASIN, ACOS, ATAN as example), with the menus you always have to consider the intermediate step, in which menu the function is actually located. I don't mind if a menu has shifted from its original position on the 42S. There are several other menus shifted in relation to the original 42S layout and/or also have other functionalities in it. Here it concerns the WP43C.
Regarding UNDO I really, really think it is important to have this function on [f]. I don't find CLEAR happily solved in 42S, so I don't mind finding CLR on [g] either.
So please, please don't think about moving MODE, DISP & CLR back anymore.
I feel this is a compromise, where practicality wins. At this point I like it the way it is, despite the colours are "wrong" according to HP42S style.
I leave it on the "consider" list, so we can evaluate it on the real DM42 keys.
I leave it the way it is now, until then.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Dani R. wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:55 am
Since there will be points on the front panel anyway, what would it be like to underline the menus with a dotted line? Wouldn't this be a bit more discreet?
Underlining it, or having a complete line, or inverse will have the BIG negative effect as follows:

I don't know which of the 18 blocks are being shown. I mean I can find out, but that complicates it a lot.

If I just underline, it will also underline "blank" buttons where there are no commands on f or g.

So at the moment,I want to keep the markings discrete in the edges, so that it does not look bad when highlighting an area that has no commands.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

Jaymos wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 am
Dani R. wrote:
Since there will be points on the front panel anyway, what would it be like to underline the menus with a dotted line? Wouldn't this be a bit more discreet?
Underlining it, or having a complete line, or inverse will have the BIG negative effect as follows:

I don't know which of the 18 blocks are being shown. I mean I can find out, but that complicates it a lot.

If I just underline, it will also underline "blank" buttons where there are no commands on f or g.

So at the moment,I want to keep the markings discrete in the edges, so that it does not look bad when highlighting an area that has no commands.
Good example of my sometimes inaccurate communication.
I mean, of course, the imprint on the keyboard faceplate.
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Dani R. wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:05 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 am
Dani R. wrote:

Good example of my sometimes inaccurate communication.
I mean, of course, the imprint on the keyboard faceplate.
I now assume you are referring to the blue and yellow lines printed on the key template?

If that is the case we could look at trying that when we make a template.

I previously used CorelDraw to make templates, and it is very easy once you have the layout, to change all underlining to thinner, thicker and dotted. I can certainly look at the impact when I do that (if it is me doing that task). I put it on my list as item 504 for when it comes.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

inautilus wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:39 am
The coloured 'border' option was offered as an additional way to go ... if extra cost savings in hardware production were determined to be needed. I can only assume that there may be a not insignificant cost (and complexity) associated with the incorporation of a key in another completely different colour (in this case yellow).
f g alternate png 3 bold.jpg
Hi inautilus,

I just thought of it - you are good in manipulating images, would you please put the coloured dots on the template for me. Save it in the same bit depth and resolution.

This is the emulator template from the source. It should work if you place the dots and it should show in the emulator.

If it is not perfectly places, you will see in the next screen pic I make, and you can edit it correct for the next round.

Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

Six hours of blackout, but it's national holiday anyway.
H2X wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:15 am
Dani R. wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:53 am
Besides, I am one of those who communicates with DeepL, there are also subtleties lost.
I wasn't aware! What is your native language, if I may ask?
I need 22 minutes or 14 km to get to Michael. No, I have never met Michael or Dave before. But you can't rule it out, Zürich isn't that big. In any case not consciously. And as so often to be read here: Not SwissMicros staff.
So my native language is Swiss German.
H2X wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:15 am
Dani R. wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:53 am
To say it in the words of Frank Zappa: "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible "
Wait, I'm sure I've seen that quote before, somewhere... :-)

To the point, Frank Zappa's music is also highly deliberate compositions. So although deviating from the norm allowed him to make progress, deviation was not the only tool in his toolbox. Not all norms were deviated from either.

Which norms, then, to deviate from, and which not? Why / why not? That's were composition gets interesting.
I haven't converted the "You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore" CD's into the FLAC format yet. There are still some records for the turntable. Well, there's a lot of mp3 on my mp3 player, actually quite a lot by Frank Zappa, but not converted by me... Hey, that's legal in Switzerland.
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

Jaymos wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:55 am
I don't want to lose DROP. Maybe move it one button or so in the area, but not lose it. I use it a lot. It is a bit of a mix between the 28C newer style and the classic style. I like it.
OK, I see it. I regret missing out to buy a 28S. But this train has left and so has my access to RPL.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

I am becoming happier with the result below. I am almost ready to update the status on the first page of this forum.

My status report after some more work today:

DONE TODAY

1. Dots for f/g in the menu is now drawn in graphics mode without the ugly whitespace spill. See Pic.

2. Added “e” on HOME menu, but note the main project’s constant numbers including e are incorrect. Martin confirmed today that he fixed it, but I will update my source later. It is a mission to update.

3. I removed [X<>Y] from STK menu.

4. I eventually decided on the REGS/STATUS saga: I changed REGS & STATUS to “R.BR” & “B.BR” because the "VW" just didn't work. Also mainly for familiarity with the main project’s "RBR". I suggested to Walter he does the same, we’ll see what happens.

5. My eRPN and HOME3 switches were changed to toggle switches and now show the bit status true/false when pressed. Note that these soft buttons enable or disable eRPN functionality, and also the triple-click-shift-key functionality.

6. I removed x! From [f][CHS]. It is now in the PROB menu (with Cyx) as well in the HOME menu, on a primary.

7. After long thinking, I decided to put the INFO back on a key, on [f][CHS]. The reason is that the HOME screen MUST remain optional and all standard functions must still to be accessible from the calculator keys only. One must not be forced to rely on the menu navigation for the basic stuff, also admin.

8. Lastly, "LASTx" changed to "LSTx", as it really was too long for the keyboard.

—-
Todo reminders:

201. Fix keyboard key shortcuts on the emulator broken due to layout change

202. Fix Alpha key layout and menus that is broken due to layout change

203. NEW: Asked inautilus to edit the background graphic, to include the blue/yellow dots

204. NEW: Check which functions are missing on the main project’s menus and decide if certain functions are to be added. Big job - no time for that now.

205. NEW: On text entry mode, add a special MENU line for all commands missing.

——
Wish list:

301. Find more math candidates for the HOME menu. Ongoing.

302. DONE. Put LastX on HOME menu, if not on button. Could take the place of x! On “L”. Need to make a new function for this.

303. Add SigFig mode as per WP31S, 34S, 34C. This is automatic rounding, which in SIG mode, will display 3.14159 as 3.142 and will display 299792458 as 299 700 000 or 299.8 x10ˆ6 in ENG mode.

304. WAIT. To consider the need for HEX DEC OCT BIN on a soft menu (compare with # operation). I suggested this to Walter. I wait for answer.

305. DONE. Ideas for a calculator name. Maybe WP43C. C for classic of course, and it fits into the model names/numbers. Picked WP43C.

306. DONE. Add Name and version number etc. in INFO.

307. NEW. Creation of CUST1 menu. Variable content.

308. NEW. Add METRIC mode for ENG mode, to display metric unit prefixes, i.e. display k instead of 10ˆ3, M instead of 10ˆ6, G instead of 10ˆ9, for example an X register of 170000 should display in ENG as 170 x 10ˆ3, but if this is activated, must display 170 k

309. DONE. Change f/g menu indicator to use graphics mode: black dot with white round border.

310. DONE. See if dots can be drawn on keyboard in grf mode.

311. NEW: See if white lines from the actual FN buttons to the screen labels can be drawn. The purpose is to see if it will help fit the wider keys to the narrower soft buttons on screen.

312. NEW: See if the alpha text characters on the emulator keyboard contrast can improve. Maybe +20% font size. Also mark Y and N bright white, to aid Y/N responses.

---
To re-consider:

401. WAIT. Consider changing back to yellow for MODE, DISP & CLR. Unlikely to change. But wait to test on DM42.

402. WAIT. Consider FILL and STK swap back to R< and >P. Unlikely to change. But wait to test on DM42.

403. NEW. Trying R.BR B.BR now. Removed RG.V BT.V as it feels too weird. I’m not convinced it is the best yet. Best alternative is staying close to main project. Also R.ST B.ST and RG.ST and Bt.ST was mentioned.

404. DONE. Removed. Consider if x! needs to be removed to make [f] CHS is available.

405. DONE. INFO is on [f]CHS. Changed to “INF” due to space. Consider if we bring INFO back to a key, belonging next to MODE, in place of x! on [f] CHS.

406. DONE. Remove X<>Y from STK MENU. it is on a primary key. No use.

—-
Reminders for the actual calc layout:

501. CANCELLED. “Lx” for Last x above L. Not needed as the real LSTx appeared.

502. Yellow and blue dots above shift button

503. NEW: Increase contrast in text letters

504. NEW: Maybe use dotted underlines for menus (for yellow and blue underline)

505. NEW: Mark the “Y” and “N”bright white to help finding the yes/no answer to some confirmations.

Below the HOME menu:

Below the latest image:
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
inautilus

Post by inautilus »

OK. Will take care of the dots as soon as I am freed up. :)

One thing that I did notice was that the white alpha-letters seem to get lost in the forest. They end up competing with the the numbers and symbols on the key faces ... which are white as well. In fact, both sets compete with each other. This is visually confusing. IMHO there is a need to somehow differentiate both sets so that the white key faces maintain crystal clear dominance, while the alpha-letters are easily locked on to visually ... without demanding one's attention. In my 'what if ' versions I switched over to shades of 'red' ... and also adjusted the size of the alpha-letters up 20%. This seems to be an improvement. Differing versions of red brightness are attached. Other tweaks as well (yellow-blue, the alpha symbol, etc). Feedback welcome.

Current WHITE alpha-letters layout
Current WHITE alpha-letters layout
Alternate Layout 2019-07-31.JPG (134.33 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Bright RED alpha-letters layout
Bright RED alpha-letters layout
43 Cal KEYBOARD LAYOUT - sketch comp - bright.jpg (77.5 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Medium RED alpha-letters layout
Medium RED alpha-letters layout
43 Cal KEYBOARD LAYOUT - sketch comp - medium.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
D A MacDonald
Mar Eng, Designer, CANADA
HP35, HP41C, HP28S, HP35s. PC: HP15C, Free42, WP31S, WP34S
(Operators Right in bold)
"It is not the strongest or most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change ..." Darwin
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

inautilus wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:35 am
OK. Will take care of the dots as soon as I am freed up. :)

One thing that I did notice was that the white alpha-letters seem to get lost in the forest. They end up competing with the the numbers and symbols on the key faces ... which are white as well. In fact, both sets compete with each other. This is visually confusing. IMHO there is a need to somehow differentiate both sets so that the white key faces maintain crystal clear dominance, while the alpha-letters are easily locked on to visually ... without demanding one's attention. In my 'what if ' versions I switched over to shades of 'red' ... and also adjusted the size of the alpha-letters up 20%. This seems to be an improvement. Differing versions of red brightness are attached. Other tweaks as well (yellow-blue, the alpha symbol, etc). Feedback welcome.
I really like the bright red mockup. Surprising actually how effective it seems.

Changing the colour and the font size ought not be difficult. It is just another I have to search for in the code, try figure out how gtk3 does it, find and fix it up. Probably an hour or so once I start.

I am really interested to see the result. Thank you for the effort. Will make a plan to do it probably in a day or two - but first some sleep ...

Please give me the colour codes for the bright red.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa