Forum structure

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
H2X

Re: Forum structure

Post by H2X »

BTW, is it necessary to moderate messages at this stage?
I believe in free will. Just can't help it.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

H2X wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:23 am
BTW, is it necessary to moderate messages at this stage?
That is a decision for Michael to make. This said, if memory serves, we were all moderated until having posted a certain number of messages on the hpmuseum forums, for example. It might be something baked into phpBB. Even I am moderated at the moment (I'm a site admin) and I have to authorize my own posts LOL :)
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
H2X

Post by H2X »

I get that. It does rather put the brakes on the communication rate, though.

Speaking of the hpmuseum forums, I have not seen this forum mentioned in the "Not quite" category yet. Have you decided not to, or just not had the time yet?
H2X

Post by H2X »

Wow! The brakes are off!
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

enn wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:11 pm
I'm not sure it makes sense to separate tips and suggestions by machine type. There is presumably a lot of overlap. I think it makes sense for bugs. Not sure about programming--are the innards so different that a program for one wouldn't work on another? It feels clunky to look for a conversation about a program that does X under 6 (and eventually more) different threads.
I'd suggest both: separate groups for model-specific discussions, and a common one. You want the separate ones because e.g. DM12 and DM15 are quite different in terms of functionality and programming, but you also want a common one because the DM1x models share a lot of code, so firmware bugs could affect multiple models.

On the other hand, I'm here primarily because of DM42, so don't attach too much weight to my opinion. While I used to own an HP-41C, HP-41CX, and HP-10C in some distant past, I'm stuck in 42S mode nowadays. 8-)
anetzer

Post by anetzer »

enn wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:11 pm
I'm not sure it makes sense to separate tips and suggestions by machine type. There is presumably a lot of overlap.
+1

What I'd like to see however is a clear division between firmware issues on the one hand and user programs for the platform on the other hand.

Plus: I do hope emulators will also be available for the DM42. They should be covered in a separate directory.

Looking forward to the real thing however...

Thank you for your work!

a
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

SwissMicros forum - excellent idea!

Hierarchical subforums - terrible idea! For as long as it's a small world, arrange things so there's a single front page which can show all the forums.
H2X

Post by H2X »

I'll reiterate a suggestion some comments ago: If this forum supports tags, use tags to reference calculator models. Interesting stuff may appear in different (sub)forums.
Walter

Post by Walter »

H2X wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm
If this forum supports tags, use tags to reference calculator models. Interesting stuff may appear in different (sub)forums.
So does it? Or not? Can't be so difficult to find out ...
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Walter

Post by Walter »

H2X wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 am
Wow! The brakes are off!
Looks like they returned, doesn't it?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041