Inspiring the next generation of RPN users

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
rudi

Re: Inspiring the next generation of RPN users

Post by rudi »

dm319 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:00 pm
I leave the thread for 5 years and it really does get derailed.
And isn’t that wonderful ;-)
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
dm319

Post by dm319 »

rudi wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm
And isn’t that wonderful ;-)
Yes, really enjoyed looking through this thread, and I've learnt a few things. The biggest one being this new big stack! But also Lambos with treads etc..

Also great to see all these familiar names. I hope everyone has weathered the pandemic as ok as they could. Glad to see everyone here seem to still be their usual selves.. :)
SN:09075
dm319

Post by dm319 »

So get back on-topic... I've been thinking... school kids are generally introduced to calculators on cheap models. This is a problem for RPN because this has never really been the case. HPs were expensive back in the day and RPN calculators are still expensive and also rare. This also isn't going to be resolved with a 'cheap RPN' model, because I doubt there is the demand to mass-produce such a device for kids.

So it'd probably need to be a device that appeals to a broader audience - i.e. adults also.

Personally, I have no idea what 95% of the functions of the HP-42. Why do people need to solve things? Are people really doing matrix and complex stuff on their calculators? I wouldn't do any stats on a calculator, if only because the data usually comes as a big csv file. So for me the basic scientific functions actually cover my uses.

Programming-wise, I mentioned before that it'd be lovely to code something in python/R or similar and 'drop' that onto the calculator. For it to be school/exam compatible, it'd need a way to clear the machine and maybe have an indicator to show that it is in 'exam mode' or something.

Re: the stack, big stack is amazing. And I have only used it for 24 hours. I get that a four-level stack has its fans, but it really does feel like a technical limitation was exploited in a way that made sense at the time. For me, the way it silently loses data off the top, copies data back down, always has a value (even if zero) and duplicates the number entered, seem more like idiosyncrasies than logical functioning, and would be more likely to confuse new users.

Re: the display, I think the more visible the better. Seeing 4 lines of the stack is helpful.

Anyway, all this is just daydreaming... as it is I can't justify buying a DM42 for myself, let alone my kids!
48GX

Post by 48GX »

If SM doesn't release their new calculator soon, we are going to eat other!
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
rudi

Post by rudi »

My daughter is in six’th grade now and they all got the same TI-something last year. I never heard of a school using RPN for the kids.
However - I use any opportunity to show my daughter how to use a RPN for long expressions, where RPN and the stack really come in handy. And I hope she will use a RPN in Highschool and, if, university. I will certainly inspire her.
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

The school where my kids went forced them to buy a specific model, and of course not an RPN calculator.

With HP only selling two RPN models now (still, out of 3), and their calculators not even being directly visible on their website, it's clear that there is little demand for them. And frankly when I see the HP Prime, it's a very strange product, probably not even something I'd buy as a student, so much for inspiring the next generation. It's not even maintained by HP but by Moravia Consulting.

I think the HP-48 - HP-50 were probably the pinnacle of the RPN calculators, at least for scientific/engineering usage, but laptops and smartphones have taken over. If there's any additional inspiration to give, it's probably through apps, though those I see don't have many downloads either.
dm319

Post by dm319 »

48GX wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:01 pm
If SM doesn't release their new calculator soon, we are going to eat other!
Is there going to be another one? And there I was thinking the DM42 was perfect - how can anyone want anything more?!

Actually, I wouldn't mind a basic 4 op plus a few extra RPN calculator for my desk. Maybe with mechanical keys and a nice 4+ stack diaplay.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

dm319 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:47 pm
Is there going to be another one?
https://youtu.be/HqKYVa3lH6c
Walter

Post by Walter »

dm319 wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't mind a basic 4 op plus a few extra RPN calculator for my desk. Maybe with mechanical keys and a nice 4+ stack diaplay.
Although a nice idea, I'm afraid that's going to become significantly more expensive than can be justified by its power. Too many $$/function as long as we talk about a realistic batch size.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
dm319

Post by dm319 »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:10 pm
dm319 wrote:
Is there going to be another one?
https://youtu.be/HqKYVa3lH6c
That's very interesting. Does Michael reimplement the firmware himself for all of the models other than the DM42?

BTW Thomas I only recently discovered your Plus42, and I'm super impressed with it on android. I'm not a great mathematician so a lot of what's been discussed goes way over my head, but I appreciate that you took free42 and went wild with it! I love the extra lines on the display and the bigstack, and use it with one of the Hofferth skins for free42. I also really appreciate that you are a free software advocate, which doesn't seem to be in the mindshare of people in the small calculator community, but I think is such an important cultural movement.