DM42 vs DM43S

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
keithdalby

Re: DM42 vs DM43S

Post by keithdalby »

Zaphod wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:49 am
So I go back to my original question ....Why would I buy one instead of the other? (if they both existed today i.e. a DM42 and a DM43)
Summary of answers so far:

There IS NO DM43.

The WP43s does not yet exist, so it cannot be purchased yet (https://sourceforge.net/projects/wp43s/)

The WP43s is probably many years away from existing.

The DM42 exists now, so you have two choices. Buy a DM42 now, or wait for the WP43s to exist, which could take many years, if ever.

Or, of course, the third choice; wait for the DM43, which doesn't exist, hasn't ever existed, hasn't been mentioned as ever possibly existing and hasn't been discussed by Walter or Pauli (the W and P in WP43s).
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

keithdalby wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:14 am
I suspect you're getting mixed up between the WP34s and the WP43s.
My complete bad, I was indeed !!. :shock: :lol: Sorry - I wasn't trying to irritate you intentionally Keith. :oops:

I didn't even spot there were two WP models until just now :shock: , one existing (wp34) and one in the possible pipeline.(wp43)
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

No damage done, we're all friends here.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Zaphod wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:49 am
So I go back to my original question ....Why would I buy one instead of the other? (if they both existed today i.e. a DM42 and a DM43)
Take a look at the WP 43S feature list on the project page, it should be more powerful than the DM42, but also may be more complex to use.

I'm not sure the WP 43S will bring anything that will justify buying one for me . I mean I have already a 41CL, a DM42 and a WP 34S, so plenty of RPN power but when I want to do some quick programming or math exploration I just pull the Prime which is way more powerful and easier to program. I still like RPN programming as it was the first programming language I learned but nowadays I'm using it just for programming challenges.
And for calculations on the go a 32SII is perfect.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Walter

Post by Walter »

Zaphod wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:37 am
I didn't even spot there were two WP models until just now :shock: , one existing (wp34) and one in the possible pipeline.(wp43)
Even better: there are two existing (WP34S & WP31S) already and one (WP43S) in the existing (!) pipeline. ;) Just FYI.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Step 1 - Download Free42 on the device of your choice, play with it, learn its capabilities and decide if it’s worth paying money for either an HP42s or DM42.

Step 2 - If the answer in Step 1 is Yes, then save up your currency of choice and purchase a physical calculator from either the vintage calculator market or SwissMicros.

FWIW, I own a DM42, HP42s and WP34s (HP30b), and they all contribute to my enjoyment of RPN programmable calculators. The WP34s is a very different animal from the HP42s/DM42.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

The obvious answer here, and I'm surprised no one has posted it yet, is get both.

The DM42 is available now and a wonderful machine, with pretty much universal praise. Even if you've never owned an HP-42S, if you know/like RPN, you will find it easy to learn and use, and in time with practice, even the advanced features (e.g. matrix, solver, complex numbers) are pretty easy to learn and use.

The WP43S will contain a similar/familiar but distinctly different keystroke programming language, and similar precision (as the DM42S) but also more features such as additional statistic functions, likely more/better solvers, additional Math functions (many of which I don't understand), roughly similar PC data exchange capabilities, and more. If I were a marketing guy, I might call it a WP34S on steroids, but I'm not, so I won't, but that should complete the idea.

Best GUESS is the WP43S will not be available for 2-3 years, unless some talented developers appear with LOTS of free time very soon, but it will certainly be worth the long wait.

So, yeah, pick the best choice and get both; very unlikely you'll regret it.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
pauli

Post by pauli »

As far as I'm concerns DM43 == WP43S. This is at a minimum two years from completion and very likely more than that.

Pauli
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

I own only the hp35s and the wp34s.

The thing I dislike the most about the wp34s is the lack of a built in MISO solver. Sure you can program your own, but it is a very steep learning curve. Even if you know how to build a MISO solver it still takes much longer to input on the WP34s vs the hp35s.

The solver on free42 (hp42s) is a thing of beauty.

I'm under the understanding the main reason there isn't a better solver on the WP34s is due to memory limitations. But honestly I'd delete most of the other built in functions in the flash memory and replace it with a general miso solver if you gave me the code. I'm a petroleum engineer so most of those amazing features you have included I have never used and will never use. I have programmed my own functions into the calculator but I use miso solvers so often, that I pick up my other calculator more often. I need the flexibility of a dedicated MISO solver in my work flow.

If the WP43s is the same as the WP34s but with a solver as good as the hp42s, I'd buy it on day one.

I'm still contemplating buying a DM42s. The main reason for contemplating is because I just bought a WP34s and haven't got enough out of it yet to justify how much I spent too aquire it. So I don't want to go out and buy a new calculator so fast.
budmur

Post by budmur »

gomefun2 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:05 am
I own only the hp35s and the wp34s.

The thing I dislike the most about the wp34s is the lack of a built in MISO solver. Sure you can program your own, but it is a very steep learning curve. Even if you know how to build a MISO solver it still takes much longer to input on the WP34s vs the hp35s.

The solver on free42 (hp42s) is a thing of beauty.

I'm under the understanding the main reason there isn't a better solver on the WP34s is due to memory limitations. But honestly I'd delete most of the other built in functions in the flash memory and replace it with a general miso solver if you gave me the code. I'm a petroleum engineer so most of those amazing features you have included I have never used and will never use. I have programmed my own functions into the calculator but I use miso solvers so often, that I pick up my other calculator more often. I need the flexibility of a dedicated MISO solver in my work flow.

If the WP43s is the same as the WP34s but with a solver as good as the hp42s, I'd buy it on day one.

I'm still contemplating buying a DM42s. The main reason for contemplating is because I just bought a WP34s and haven't got enough out of it yet to justify how much I spent too aquire it. So I don't want to go out and buy a new calculator so fast.
I'm a working engineer myself, and the solver on the HP42 has saved me so many times that it's become a crutch. When my original died, I tried the solver on the 35S, but the single-letter variable names was a show stopper for me. I'd spent so many years solving for Ft of Head (FtHead), or Disentegrations per minute (DPM), or seconds (Sec), or whatever, that trying to use a single letter just made my brain hurt. Luckily, my 35S died just as the beta program started, so I was able to get in at the beginning.

The other reason I pulled the trigger on the DM42 is that it uses Free42 as the core. Free42 has been tested in so many edge cases that I feel completely comfortable using it for any application, up to life-safety calculations. When I look at the errata for the HP35S http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap ... i?read=735, especially number 14, I don't get that confidence.
DM42 S/N 00039