DM 48 .... WHY NOT ?!!!

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
48GX

Re: DM 48 .... WHY NOT ?!!!

Post by 48GX »

jonmoore wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:39 pm
NewRPL can also be flashed onto the HP-39gs and the HP-40gs as well as the 49g+ and the 50g. Considering you can expect to pay no more than $10-50 for said hardware, it's a really great way to try newRPL on the cheap. Don't be fooled by the lowly status of the 39gs an 40gs (as education market calculators), they both feature the same 75Mhz processor as the 50g. But you obviously have less flash memory to play with, lack of sd card etc etc - but on the plus side the have far more generous RAM that the 48!

One of the biggest benefits of newRPL is that many of the programs found at hpcalc.org can be utilised with minimal changes, some with no changes at all.

N.B Apologies for any typos, I wrote this post without my reading glasses (long story). :)
How active is the development of NewRPL? Looks sparse on their website. I like the idea of having NewRPL on SM hardware. That is something I can live with. I have several programs written for my HP48G/50G that are important enough for me to always have a big drawer full of physical calculators in great condition. It is becoming harder to find HP48G series calculators. It is also painfully slow when running a calc that takes 7-10 minutes that you need to run 120 times. On my iPhone it is instant but having a dedicated hardware calculator on my desk in production would make me sleep easier.

I purchased the DM42 solely to support SM. I am going to learn how to use it and hope something happens with DM48.
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

newRPL is updated on a regular basis. The best place to get a feel for it's development is the thread over at the museum forum. The last update was in February.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9700.html
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

The WIP manual is a good place to look too. As you'll see there aren't many gaps from the 50g toolset other than the CAS and there's plenty in the beta that is yet to be documented.

https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?id=start
48GX

Post by 48GX »

Thank you. I dig through the link and information. Impressed. I have a few 50gs laying around and will likely load it up soon.

Any reason SM and NewRPL people haven’t connected?

This seems like a natural fit.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

48GX wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm
Thank you. I dig through the link and information. Impressed. I have a few 50gs laying around and will likely load it up soon.

Any reason SM and NewRPL people haven’t connected?

This seems like a natural fit.
As I mentioned before, some might say that anything to do with RPL is at polar opposites of being a good fit for SM. Personally I don't get hung up on that flavour of thought. If anything, when I see how well newRPL performs on hardware which is fast approaching 20 years old, it only reminds me of what a monumental cock-up it was for HP to have emulated the Saturn chip on that ARM processor in the first place. The high end of calculators for engineers might look a little different than it does right now if HP hadn't been so easily swayed by the bean counters. Yet again, some might say with the likes of Mathematica/Matlab et al. that high end calculators for engineers are artefacts that belong in the past, but this is the SM forum after all, so we hopefully don't have to worry about that ignorant perspective. 8-)

Point being. It's complicated...
EM41

Post by EM41 »

jonmoore wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Yet again, some might say with the likes of Mathematica/Matlab et al. that high end calculators for engineers are artefacts that belong in the past, but this is the SM forum after all, so we hopefully don't have to worry about that ignorant perspective. 8-)
I also strongly disagree, I am using Matlab and Python and the HP41 to debug / check the code that does the calculations.
Also short calculations are easier on a handheld, specially in meetings and in, for example, the train.
Having that said, the HP48 with its chaotic keyboard and its overcomplicated programming method/language sucks in my opinion so thanks, no DM48 for me :D
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
48GX

Post by 48GX »

Jon, I see your point. I wrote to SM last year about an HP48G series model before I found this forum. No idea this place existed. I also agree that it was a monumental screw up on HP's part to abandoned the high end engineering market regardless of what their numbers said. Many friends that graduated with me were given a brand new HP48GX upon starting their new jobs. It was familiar to a life achievement award at that time in life.

I was a owner of several 49G+ (I think) calculators that had the crap keyboard. Hated them. Couldn't trust them. The 50G solved most of those problems and added speed. The Prime is not for me. I'm hopeful SM will join with NewRPL and/or allow us to flash the 48GX ROM on a model someday.

EM41, I hear you on your choice of calculator. That is why I qualified my persuasion to the 48S/G series models. I cut my teeth on them. I find the programming with RPL to be a breeze, but that also is part of my bias. Though I feel confident my program that solves a double integral is infinitely easier to program on the 48 than the 42. ;) I just need speed, something way faster than a stock 50G. NewRPL may be that ticket. The 42 is not because I haven't spent twenty-six years using it.

This thread has given me hope when no hope existed. I'm waiting on DM42 to arrive so I can learn a new calculator. Defiantly going to need lots of help from everyone here. Good times ahead!
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

48GX wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:19 am
Defiantly
*Definitely
EM41

Post by EM41 »

48GX,

I really hope there will be a DM48 for who wants one, just not for me.
Maybe its my programming style, some of the colleagues hate me for it, i usually solve my problems with 5 lines of code where they need 20 or more including subroutines preferably object oriented and for most part completely unreadable from a math point of view.

I leaned programming in assembler on a 8051, Z80, 8080 and never lost the habit of making short and efficient code, maybe I am just becoming old :D

Erik
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
48GX

Post by 48GX »

EM41 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm
48GX,

I really hope there will be a DM48 for who wants one, just not for me.
Maybe its my programming style, some of the colleagues hate me for it, i usually solve my problems with 5 lines of code where they need 20 or more including subroutines preferably object oriented and for most part completely unreadable from a math point of view.

I leaned programming in assembler on a 8051, Z80, 8080 and never lost the habit of making short and efficient code, maybe I am just becoming old :D

Erik
I will be sure to ask you to help me evaluate a double integral when the time comes. :)