How did you discover SwissMicros?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Jvi

Re: How did you discover SwissMicros?

Post by Jvi »

It is kind of a funny story.
I like to go to thrift stores, and one day, i found a HP calculator i had not seen before. It was an HP42s. I tried to turn it on, but it did not work.
It was probably flat batteries, I thought, for the calculator looked almost new.
I decided to risc buying it, as it cost only about $1.5 - I kid you not! :shock:
When I got home, I put new batteries in it, and it switched on without problems, and have been in my possesion ever since.
I am an old hand with HP calculators, and it took me about 10 minutes to fall completely in love with this calculator, but i could see that it was much more advanced than my previous HP calculators, so I needed a manual.
There are many websites, that offer manuals, but most of them want payment. Eventually, I the Free42 website.
I got the manual from the Free42 website, For free :D and saw that there was an app, I could download to my smartphone.
The app was of course Thomas Okken's HP42 emulator,which ran at a speed and precision, that put the original calculator to shame.
There was a link to Swissmicros, which i checked out, and found the DM42.
It took a long time for me to decide, if I wanted a DM42, it was expensive, and I already had an HP42s, but eventually, I ordered it.
It is, hands down, the best calculator I have ever had. :D
coolepascal

Post by coolepascal »

Dave Jones (EEVBLOG) tries the DM42

Guess that was the best SwissMicros marketing ever !
First tried Free42 on my phone and computers but soon i ordered my first SwissMicros, obviously a DM-42
Not cheap, but certainly worthwhile !
RJvM

Post by RJvM »

By accident, browsing YouTube for RPN calculators. What a surprise, I should have visited the hpmuseum more often. Also, what a relief to be able to buy a new great calculator again, like the DM41x, DM42 and DM41L (still waiting for this last one to arrive).
Robbert Jan, MSEE, RPN user since 1976 and a collector for many years I now own all the important ones: HP-35, 45, 55, 65, 97, 19, 21, 25, 34, 10-16, 41, 42, 71, 48, 50, Prime, DM41, DM42, WP43, C47, R47; Project 47 team member https://47calc.com
giubin

Post by giubin »

My lovely cousin died. I grew up with him. He loved electronics, was a great electronic engineer. Both, as students, I grew up with his sharp el-506p, but he talk me always about this “strange” and unknown RPN. Growing up, he teach me always something new (failing with English🙂), and after, with schools, I dived into electronic and telecommunication (I’m a fake, compared to him). Programming and with hardware debugging, I start to knew the importance of the RPN, but never had together the opportunity to get an RPN calc. Now I’m doing that. My first step was with the hp 50g (that I love), and discovering around, studying this beauty, I came across SwissMicros, especially with the David jones’s tear down. My new dm42 and dm16l are on the way, for sure the last one will help me in hardware debugging.

P.s. I’m one of those who want a 48GX replica 🤣 and yes, I saw the thread about 2021 speculation on this awesome forum…
SwissMicros DM42
SwissMicros DM16L
HP 50g
HP 48GX
HP Prime G2
TI-89
TI-Nspire CX-II CAS
Sharp EL-506P; EL-512; EL-5020; EL-5120; PC-1360
rexbinary

Post by rexbinary »

Hello all,

I recently purchased a HP-41CV from eBay to replace the one I used to have. After doing so I joined a HP-41C group on Facebook. Moments into browsing the group I see someone's post about their new SwissMicros. After educating myself on SwissMicros I ordered both the DM41X and the DM42 and then ended up here. I won't be joining anymore Facebook groups as it seems to negatively impact my wallet. :lol:
DM32, DM41X, DM42, HP-35S, HP-32SII, HP-42S, HP-41CV, HP 95LX - EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.
AntoniusFX

Post by AntoniusFX »

I was looking to buy a new HP calculator on Amazon, while reading through the comments someone suggested Swissmicros instead of HP. I did bye a HP35s, and I am very happy with it. Next inline is a Dm15L and then a Dm42. I really regret selling my HP48G years ago.
HP10II+ HP48GX HP35S DM15L HP15C CE
Brianetta

Post by Brianetta »

I discovered SwissMicros by searching for RPN calculators on Amazon. At the time of my search they were listed on there. I didn't buy one at the time because it didn't fit my needs, but I did chuck a DM16L onto my wish list because it looked like it had some really interesting functions. That was bought for me as a gift a few years later, long after Amazon no longer had them.
🖩 DM16L, DM42
48GX

Post by 48GX »

I was looking for the Hydra project to see if any news had been posted on the project. I came across SM. I didn't purchase a calculator for another year or so because I didn't know about this forum. I thought the site was vaporware.
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
balta1980

Post by balta1980 »

My wife's hp48gx died, so I thought buying an used one. But I also tried to find if maybe there was an actual RPN calculator, and for my big surprise there was Swissmicros making the impossible.

I bought one DM42 for her, and now, one for me.

I own HP49G, HP48S, HP38, HP35S, HP17B
II, HP PRIME, HP10B, HP41CX.

DM42 is very amazing.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

balta1980 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:48 am
My wife's hp48gx died, so I thought buying an used one. But I also tried to find if maybe there was an actual RPN calculator, and for my big surprise there was Swissmicros making the impossible.

I bought one DM42 for her, and now, one for me.

I own HP49G, HP48S, HP38, HP35S, HP17B
II, HP PRIME, HP10B, HP41CX.

DM42 is very amazing.
True love :!:
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100