WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
rprosperi

Re: 43S News

Post by rprosperi »

Walter wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:47 pm
IIRC, I removed a letter from [/] some months ago to reach the match of Q and XEQ (I do like such matches, cf. S, T, U, and X). I don't remember whether I advertised this move explicitly (and it's close to midnight here so I won't look it up). Anyway, about half a year since this move should be sufficient for everybody interested in the 43S to notice it either here or in the manuals and - if he doesn't like it - to speak up. This project is really not known for high speed so I won't do anything to decelerate it further. But admittedly even snails are too fast for some animals...

Let's see who else has an opinion in this matter.
Sure, I'm not suggesting the change was hidden, indeed I have 3-4 prior versions of the layout I saved back when posted, and I never noticed it, I simply think most other folks either didn't notice, didn't understand the motivation for the change or (sigh) didn't bother to speak up.

I agree, lets see what other folks have to say. As you've noted, there is no rush.

Thanks Walter.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Walter

Post by Walter »

Most recent development:
Top.png
Top.png (81.33 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Due to the somewhat limited noticeable (i.e. readable) interest here I think we've to cut down our planned pilot batch to a very low 2-digit amount.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
H2X

Post by H2X »

Looks very nice, Walter! Much tidier than the previous rendering! :-)
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

A good effort. Looks good.

I took Dani's advice and printed it on realistic size, and got some more comments below:

The cursive glyphs at ln and lg that were shifted just a little apart, effectively solved the problem of the glyph protrusions encroaching. I also like the artistic freedom that found its way to the spacing above the keys. I do like the upper case yellow and blue letters which appear to have a little lighter stroke and that balances better with the lower case letters. I just love the upsized pi and the alpha and their spacings. Also the sqrt x looks great with the smooth line on top.

I think the lines of “|x|” could tighten up and a point or two closer to one another, and the whole |x| could then move a point or two to the right to balance with the blue glyph on the other side. I also think the space between # and EXP could be re-balanced after the # was shrunk. I think the 2 in [x^2] should be the same size as the x in [e^x] (and [y^x]) - whether the x's increase size or the 2 decreases, it matters not, as the differently sized exponents visually deter being directly next to one another.

I notice the swap on R^ and RBR, I do like it the new way, i.e. f[RBR] on f the same as f[STATUS]. I also noticed that DISP became DSP - not sure if that was intended. If it was, the width of an I can instead be saved by compressing the O glyph in SHOW. Σ's instead of SUMS certainly fits in with the ongoing concept op internationalising the labels where practical - maybe some would like it. Does the ! of x ! have to be italic, or what about: x ! ?
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Pirx

Post by Pirx »

Walter wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 pm
Due to the somewhat limited noticeable (i.e. readable) interest here I think we've to cut down our planned pilot batch to a very low 2-digit amount.
Sorry, I haven't followed this thread religiously so I may be misreading the above, but are you saying you're looking for people to buy a pre-series 43S? If so, I'm in. Just let me know where I can sign up.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Walter wrote:
Most recent development: Top.png
Looks better Walter, a lot of subtle improvements, it's coming along nicely. There were some quite minor tweaks I planned to suggest, but Jaymos beat me on every single one I noted (plus a few I didn't).

One small question: Do you think it's really necessary to include the plural in "Σ's" (which actually isn't plural, it's possessive, but I get why you chose this)? Probably the simple "Σ" would be just as clear, have less possibility of being confused with the Σs variable, and simplify the keyboard a bit.

The lack of feedback from a wider audience could be disheartening, but don't let it be. One possibility is to create another thread for "43S Keyboard and Screen design updates" which may entice more fore folks to take a look upon noticing each new update. Personally, I prefer the idea of keeping a single thread, however some of the updates and details can be seen as unexciting to many readers, so they don't bother checking.
Walter wrote:
Glad I responded... :)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
H2X

Post by H2X »

Oh, well, since we are talking about detalis...

The vertical space between the blue > and its underline (on the right side of the [-] key) looks a tad larger to my eye than on the other underlined labels.

No biggie, just saying. :-)
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Walter wrote:

Ideas:

1. Maybe do your poll thing again, stating that you are gauging production numbers; and

2. Maybe at the same time, request friends here to spread the word, to make way to the ballot: A nudge by the readers of this, to the non-readers of this?
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

I still have my doubts whether the printing can be brought to the keys like this. If you take into account, as Jaco already mentioned, that the keys have a slight rounding at the edges, it might be difficult from a production point of view to put the inscription in this size on the keys. Not completely impossible, but difficult.

Let's get back to the typeface on the keys again; I think the font size and typeface you find on a 41C, 16C etc. are ideal. The font on the DM42 looks pretty much the same to me. The font size on the DM42 is a bit smaller, which I find a pity. The font on the last draft of the WP43S is a bit narrower, but the font size is even bigger than on the 41C, 16C.

And again about the font; it looks very good to highlight the digits, the cursor keys and BSP/CLX more bold. I don't see any practical use for this, since these are the very keys that you will always find without looking.

Regarding feedback in the thread about the last draft. I'm not sure, and so it will be for many, on which points the future users of the WP43S can still comment. I mean, a lot of points are fixed (position and order of the basic calculation operators as an example).

For those people who have been following the development of the layout over a longer period of time, I would like to point out a change that was introduced not too long ago, but which I think has a strong impact on functionality. There are now double assignments on the f- and g-key. This is something I am not used to from the 16C.
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
H2X

Post by H2X »

Dani R. wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:30 am
There are now double assignments on the f- and g-key. This is something I am not used to from the 16C.
Do you mean g[CPX] and f[USER]?

I am not used to that either, but I absolutely think I could become that. I thought it was creative, and clever. Certainly overt.