WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Walter

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter »

Thanks for pointing to that engineering library. I read there:
It adds 700 programmable complex mathematical keystroke commands to the extensive internal HP48 library.
Dunno where you got the number of 1,100 from. :?

Anyway, please allow me quoting an old project management saying:
There are several ways to bring a project to an end:
  1. by cutting resources - that's the most painful...
  2. by adding girls - that's the most joyful...
  3. by feature creep - that's the most certain...
... way of killing a project.

Personally, I think 750 functions are sufficient, maybe even more than enough already. This is more than what's in the WP 34S which is more than what's in the DM42 which is more than what's in the HP-42S ... :D YMMV
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
gandhi

Post by gandhi »

Walter wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:21 pm

All three functions IDIV (integer divide), RMDR (remainder), and MOD (modulo) are going to be present in the function set, each of them operating as a dyadic function (as they were and did in the set of the WP 34S). There will be some 750 functions provided in total. :)
Not sure I wrote it correctly, regarding the integer division, my proposal was that pushing the f-shifted "/" take the numerator (N) in y register, the divisor (D) in x register and return both IDIV result (Q) in y register and RMDR result (R) in x register. Hence, no stack drop and the two equally usefull results of N=Q.D + R available in the stack with only two keystroke. I understand that we cannot include the whole function set with direct access through keyboard and I wonder what lead to the decision to include RMDR and not IDIV. Situation is different in wp34s as one can perform a classical division followed by f-shifted "IP" to get directly the integer quotient. As far as I understood it, access to IP in wp43s will be through menu and certainly less efficient "keystroke-wise". :| Anyway, no big deal as one could always reassign IDIV to its own menu :)
Walter wrote:
That's a bit more difficult: the Quick Reference Guide needs 13 pages so far. This is far less, however, than the 563 pages of both manuals in total. :)
Idea was something similar to what is shown in back of HP15C which provide some graphical hints and is fortunately less detailled than user and advanced user manuals. ;) Again, no big deal as users of wp43s will certainly already know the whole manual by heart... as they did with DM15 :D

PS: How do you input statistical data with WP43s, I don't find the usual "sigma+" in keyboard, is it in stats menu ? Another question, why shifted locations of 7, 8 and 9 keys aren't allocated ?
HP 11, HP 15C LE, HP 32SII, HP 42s, HP 48GX
Pirx

Post by Pirx »

The 1,100 number came from the cover on the book in my shelf.

Anyhow, this was just a suggestion, for you to take a look so you're aware. It's obviously up to you what functionality you want to include.

Oh, and stay away from the girls… :lol:
Walter

Post by Walter »

gandhi wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 am
Walter wrote:
All three functions IDIV (integer divide), RMDR (remainder), and MOD (modulo) are going to be present in the function set, each of them operating as a dyadic function (as they were and did in the set of the WP 34S). There will be some 750 functions provided in total. :)
Not sure I wrote it correctly, regarding the integer division, my proposal was that pushing the f-shifted "/" take the numerator (N) in y register, the divisor (D) in x register and return both IDIV result (Q) in y register and RMDR result (R) in x register. Hence, no stack drop and the two equally usefull results of N=Q.D + R available in the stack with only two keystroke. I understand that we cannot include the whole function set with direct access through keyboard and I wonder what lead to the decision to include RMDR and not IDIV. Situation is different in wp34s as one can perform a classical division followed by f-shifted "IP" to get directly the integer quotient. As far as I understood it, access to IP in wp43s will be through menu and certainly less efficient "keystroke-wise". :| Anyway, no big deal as one could always reassign IDIV to its own menu :)
First of all, reassigning is allowed for each and every key but [UM] for User Mode. Second, I've seen your request for "IDIV" returning Q and R. But I've some doubts abouts its usefulness in the cases where you just need either Q or R.
gandhi wrote:
Walter wrote:
That's a bit more difficult: the Quick Reference Guide needs 13 pages so far. This is far less, however, than the 563 pages of both manuals in total. :)
Idea was something similar to what is shown in back of HP15C which provide some graphical hints and is fortunately less detailled than user and advanced user manuals. ;) Again, no big deal as users of wp43s will certainly already know the whole manual by heart... as they did with DM15 :D
Let me see: The HP-15C has got the polar/rectangular coordinates triangle and the error codes and the statistics registers and the tests and some conversions and the ISG and DSE schemes printed there. Now, the 43S will have tagged output, so the triangle and similar explanations become obsolete; errors will be thrown as text messages; statistics registers and tests will be called by names from the respective menus; conversions are all stored by names even for stones and hundredweights; remain the ISG and DSE schemes which are certainly viable. ;)
gandhi wrote:
PS: How do you input statistical data with WP43s, I don't find the usual "sigma+" in keyboard, is it in stats menu ? Another question, why shifted locations of 7, 8 and 9 keys aren't allocated ?
1. Yes, [Sigma+] is an unshifted softkey in STATS.
2. Since we didn't find anything worth for those locations yet. Suggestions will be considered. :)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
pauli

Post by pauli »

I agree, we don't need a combined integer division and remainder on the keyboard.

Having such a function on the device might be handy because many CPUs have it. The 16C was a programmer's calculator after all.
Still, it will be easy to implement as a user function. About a dozen lines on the 34S including proper LASTx and stack dynamics.

Pauli
Walter

Post by Walter »

Consider IDIVR being in the function set.

As expected, we're heavily in coding and simulator tests. Resulting from this, there will be some label shifts on the keyboard for improving performance. 8-)
Walter

Post by Walter »

In particular, [CC] for complex numbers became primary, [|x|] surfaced, [x><] dived into STK, and a few labels moved around and changed colour. 8-)
burkhard

Post by burkhard »

Sounds great, Walter! We are all on tenterhooks!
oder... auf glühenden Kohlen sitzen :-)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Don't get torn or strained (and don't burn your ass)! We think we can open user mode a bit wider: :D
USER.PNG
USER.PNG (25.46 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
Of course there has to be a price - there's nothing like a free lunch. ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Testing continues. Here are our statistical sums:
some_sums.PNG
some_sums.PNG (13.91 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
Almost in real time. Format ALL 00. Just FYI.
And here is the conversion of the rectangular coordinates given above (in T and Z) into polar:
R_to_P.PNG
R_to_P.PNG (8.96 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Else you compose a complex number and convert it into polar, e.g. with the angular part given in d.ms:
Complex_dms.PNG
Complex_dms.PNG (13.72 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
You can display in multiples of Pi as well: ... but the forum SW doesn't want to ;)