WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Bill K. - USA

Re: 43S News

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Thank you for the good ideas, pyridine.
pyridine wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:04 pm
I then laminated the printed paper with a clear sticking plastic foil.
I hadn't taken that step yet, waiting to get my process right before breaking out the laminating machine, but that sounds like a smart idea when I have a stable template.
pyridine wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:04 pm
And it exists some "printers" that can cut out laminated paper sheets (cf Cricut for example) but I did it manually and patiently with a sharp X-acto knife.
On your suggestion I researched Cricut a little--what a cool device! I wonder how hard programming cuts is, and I wonder how hard it is to get the programmed cuts to line up exactly with the paper. I'll keep this option in mind, though. For now, I'm hoping the $10 1/4-inch rectangular hole punch will do the trick, or close enough.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

I'm trying to use ASSIGN to swap several keys around so that my WP43S USER key reassignments match the printed keys on the DM42 as much as possible.

Specifically, I'm trying to . . .
(a) reassign the WP43S Up and Down arrow key functions on the right side of the keypad to the "/" and "x" keys on the left side of the keypad, and
(b) to map "x" (times) and "-" (minus) functions on the left side of the keypad to the WP43S Up and Down arrow keys.

But I can't get the ASSIGN field to accept the Up/Down arrow function in the first of the two slots, nor can I get the Up/Down Arrow keys to complete the ASSIGN command when I try to enter them into the second of the two slots.

E.g., I type: [f][ASN][x][UP] and the ASSIGN command doesn't complete: the second underscore stays empty.
Or I type: [f][ASN][UP] and the first underscore stays empty.
(I've been able to reassign other keys without a problem, but I'm having problems with the Up/Down keys.)

I also want to move Exit/Off/Catalog over to the bottom left key as well, even though the manual discourages this. (I'm using the default DM42 Keypad.bin so the bottom left button is already the On button.)

Any suggestions? Thank you.

This is my key cap goal:
Key Caps 4.jpg
Key Caps 4.jpg (198.66 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

And this is how I hope to swap around the shifted functions on the template (while also trying out my unpopular lower-case idea).
Proposed Template Small 4.jpg
Proposed Template Small 4.jpg (203.78 KiB) Viewed 1500 times

Letting the old yellow shift key be the new CC will be an easily remembered shift, as will letting the lone "SIN" key be the new "TRI", while the "f" and "g" buttons will have color boxes around them, leaving me with just one key cap for "Exp". (I've also written the new key labels on the template.) I also have added "Last x", which I'll miss otherwise.

With these changes, I'll get the full WP43S experience (albeit with some keys/functions/menus in shifted positions), but without needing many (maybe not any) key stickers!
Last edited by Bill K. - USA on Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:37 pm
I can't get the ASSIGN field to accept the Up/Down arrow function in the first of the two slots, nor can I get the Up/Down Arrow keys to complete the ASSIGN command when I try to enter them into the second of the two slots.
I also want to move Exit/Off/Catalog over to the bottom left key as well, even though the manual discourages this. (I'm using the default DM42 Keypad.bin so the bottom left button is already the On button.)
Alas, this is a bug. Thanks & 6 points for you! We'll be working on it.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
BINUBALL

Post by BINUBALL »

BINUBALL wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:24 pm
I've found one issue while playing with new 0.22.5 windows simulator.

Be sure you are in program mode, insert RCL, STO or VIEW which can take VAR submenu. Press VAR. If you have only one page VAR, try to press ▲ and ▼. Program step goes up and down.
Simple steps to reproduce it: GTO .. P/R ENTER↑ ENTER↑ ENTER↑ RCL VAR ▲ ▲ (RCL __ moves)

Tested with previous version simulator too. At least 0.22.0 has similar behavior.
Please check this issue.
S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Walter

Post by Walter »

BINUBALL wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:33 pm
BINUBALL wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:24 pm
I've found one issue while playing with new 0.22.5 windows simulator.

Be sure you are in program mode, insert RCL, STO or VIEW which can take VAR submenu. Press VAR. If you have only one page VAR, try to press ▲ and ▼. Program step goes up and down.
Simple steps to reproduce it: GTO .. P/R ENTER↑ ENTER↑ ENTER↑ RCL VAR ▲ ▲ (RCL __ moves)

Tested with previous version simulator too. At least 0.22.0 has similar behavior.
Please check this issue.
Please check p. 321 of the OM. It looks as advertized to me.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

An odd behavior I'm experiencing. First note that when flashing the WP43S on my DM42, I kept the old keymap.bin, so this isn't really a recommended setup but I thought I'd report it anyway.

When running the WP43S (USER mode off), I press [g][MODE] and choose [g][SYSTEM] and go to the system menu. This is where things get wonky. Here, the keys behave as printed on the DM42 keys, which is as expected. But the problem is that some keys simply turn off the calculator and it's difficult to get out of the System menu.

(Below, I'm reporting the printed key labels, not the WP43S key labels.)
For instance, [Left Arrow] turns off the calculator. [Exit] turns off the calculator. And [yellow shift][Off] turns off the calculator.

If I choose [7] and enter the System Menu, then [Exit] brings me back to the DMCP menu. But pressing [Exit] one more time again turns off the calculator.

The only way I've found to exit the DMCP menu (without totally re-flashing the calculator) is by clicking "2. Run Program", which clears the Data, Programs, and Definitions.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Today, 2022-6-14, we offer you release 0.22.6 here https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases.
  • There was a design bug preventing assignments of and with [ENTER], [EXIT], [UP], [DOWN], [<-], and menus. This is resolved now - please see the Owner's Manual, Section 6. Our solution is implemented (thanks to Mihail!).
  • We ironed out some bugs in ASSIGN, CLSTK, M.DIM, RCLS, STOS, TIMER, XEQ, etc.

The Owner's Manual was updated (CPXSLV of 0.22.4 must be documented still).

Included in the release package is everything you may want to try, test, and check the 43S on your computer or your DM42. Please look into the Reference Manual, App. E and F for how to do this. Find in said manual also which (few) functions don't work yet.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask early. And if you discover anything suboptimal, please report. There are certainly some issues - who finds one unknown yet will get 5 test points.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 pm
First note that when flashing the WP43S on my DM42, I kept the old keymap.bin, so this isn't really a recommended setup but I thought I'd report it anyway.

When running the WP43S (USER mode off), I press [g][MODE] and choose [g][SYSTEM] and go to the system menu. This is where things get wonky. Here, the keys behave as printed on the DM42 keys, which is as expected. But the problem is that some keys simply turn off the calculator and it's difficult to get out of the System menu.

(Below, I'm reporting the printed key labels, not the WP43S key labels.)
For instance, [Left Arrow] turns off the calculator. [Exit] turns off the calculator. And [yellow shift][Off] turns off the calculator.

If I choose [7] and enter the System Menu, then [Exit] brings me back to the DMCP menu. But pressing [Exit] one more time again turns off the calculator.

The only way I've found to exit the DMCP menu (without totally re-flashing the calculator) is by clicking "2. Run Program", which clears the Data, Programs, and Definitions.
We have caught you! :shock: Who allowed you to press any other keys than the ones we allowed you to press!? :x

Seriously, these features you describe above are 15 months old at least; and AFAICS they are part of DMCP, so beyond our reach. Please ask SwissMicros why they have configured DMCP the way they did. 8-)
anetzer

Post by anetzer »

PierreMengisen wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:12 pm
Proposed Template Small.jpg is a nice personal work. But I find the result very disappointing. I agree with Bob : please keep the 43S button and bezel label case as-is.
+1 here.

If using upper and lower case where as common on calculators as it is on a Computer, I'd consider it worth further argument.

And even the 71B and the 75 did not move away from all caps.

I admit that I'm just too used to the established design there...
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Walter wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:34 pm
Today, 2022-6-14, we offer you release 0.22.6 here https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases.
  • There was a design bug preventing assignments of and with [ENTER], [EXIT], [UP], [DOWN], [<-], and menus. This is resolved now - please see the Owner's Manual, Section 6. Our solution is implemented (thanks to Mihail!).
Walter and Mihail: thank you for making a way to reassign EXIT, UP, DOWN, etc.!

I downloaded the update and was able to move most of the keys and functions and menus around (including UP, DOWN, EXIT, and OFF), which is sweet. But unfortunately I also encountered two problems:

(1) I can't figure out how to assign LOOP to the lowermost right key (e.g. the WP43S "EXIT" key). I've tried it using both USER mode (after assigning '+' to the EXIT key) and non-USER mode. The problem is, when I type [f][ASN] [f][alpha]LOOP[ENTER] [f][EXIT] this brings up the CATALOG and doesn't complete the ASN command.

(2) When I've assigned EXIT to the lower left key, it initially seems to work well in USER mode, but occasionally it doesn't. For instance, [f][ASN] [f][alpha]EXIT[ENTER] +. Then put the calculator in USER mode. Then try, say, [g][PROB] and press EXIT (the lower left key) and you dismiss the menu just fine. But then try [g][CF] and hit EXIT, and the lower left key no longer acts as an EXIT function: you stay in CF entry mode.