WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Walter

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter »

Some answers:
  1. That's a bug. Thanks for finding and reporting! 14 more points for you.
  2. I've to try myself. Will take some time.
  3. Like 2.
EDIT (22-01-09): The implementation of KEYG and KEYX will be improved. Another 14 points for you.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

In the Reference Manual page 104 it is written :
You may switch menus (except catalogs – see below) easily by just calling another menu accessible in current mode directly from the menu you are using – no need to EXIT first
and:
As shown in the picture, exiting a submenu returns you to its ‘parent’ (calling) menu. Exiting a menu, however, returns you to a screen with MyMenu or Myα displayed (unless the menu was called from the Matrix Editor).
However this is not what is currently implemented, when calling another menu you’re not "switching menus", but rather "stacking them", and to return to the beginning you have to EXIT all menus and sub-menus that were called sequentially.
For example, starting from a blank menu screen in Run mode, if you call several menus or sub-menus before going in Program mode with [f] [P/R] then a press on EXIT will not exit from Program mode which was the last action done, but will exit from the last menu called in Run mode and subsequent presses on EXIT will exit all menus and sub-menus called in Run mode, one by one, and only then EXIT will effectively exit the Program mode, which is totally counter intuitive.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Walter

Post by Walter »

Oui Monsieur, mais this deviation is known. Stacking menus that way was introduced earlier in this project regardless of the specification in the Reference Manual, p. 104 (of today). I don't remember anymore who did it. I didn't succeed, however, in my quest to get that deviation removed. If and when more people complain like you, this will increase the pressure to stick to the spec.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
GeisiX

Post by GeisiX »

If I may chime in here:
This is a very good point. Although menu stacking may, undoubtedly, have its advantages, keeping track of all the opened menues (as well as their stacking order) is something that I would not like to spend my (personally rather limitesd) brain capacity on while concentrating on maths.

This may, of course, be down to very subjective and personal preference, but only allowing for one menu (plus its sub-menu levels, if available) would probably be much more intuitive to use and, as a big advantage, one would only be a few EXIT keystrokes away from MyMenu.

1) Speaking of which, is there any shortcut to the MyMenu-layer aside from exiting all open menus? As MyMenu represents (if I interpret its intention and purpose correctly) the main (and therefore important) shortcut level for one's personally favourite function calls, it should readily be accessible from all "depths" of the menu system.

2) Please forgive me if this has been discussed already, but is there a way to add an XEQ order (i. e. a program call) to MyMenu? Calling and executing a Program could be a very powerful tool to expand and personalize the WP43s, essentially enabling the user to add functions via its accessible programming interface and quickly calling up the same via MyMenu (or any other customizable menu / ASN to buttons). As far as I understand, ASN is currently not able to call up programs, but only pre-defined (and non-customizable) funtions / items, correct?

3) Just an observation:
It is not always clear to the user when the up/down arrows flip through multi-paged menues and when they navigate through program steps. Is there an indicator identifying these states?

Nevertheless, I very much appreciate the great work by the developer team so far. Thank you for your time and efforts.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Walter wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:21 pm
Oui Monsieur, mais this deviation is known. Stacking menus that way was introduced earlier in this project regardless of the specification in the Reference Manual, p. 104 (of today). I don't remember anymore who did it. I didn't succeed, however, in my quest to get that deviation removed. If and when more people complain like you, this will increase the pressure to stick to the spec.
I agree with Didier, the spec behavior makes more sense, I don't want to have to exit a bunch of times if I've gone down a bunch of menus looking for something.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Walter

Post by Walter »

@GeisiX:

Thanks for your friendly words. Some answers to your questions:

1) If the menu system would be as specified, 2 [EXIT]s were sufficient to reach MyMENU. This means 2 keystrokes. Just from the Matrix Editor, 1 additional [EXIT] may be required.

2) Yes in principle. You can assign an entire program call like XEQ 'MyPGM' to any location on the keyboard and to any location in MyMENU as well. But parameter transfer with ASSIGN doesn't work so far, so you can assign XEQ (or GTO, STO, RCL, etc.) but not a trailing parameter.

3) No, there isn't. But there's a general rule on p. 316 of the Owner's Manual (please check the text on p. 313 for explanation).
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

In version 0.21.6 the issue with BACK reported previously is now fixed :)

I have found an issue when debugging a program with SST: in Run mode and not in a multi-view menu, the down arrow acts as SST and allows you to execute your program set by step. However if in your program you have a STOP instruction to allow the user to enter a number, then after typing the number, pressing down arrow will not execute SST, it will do nothing.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Release 0.21.7 is here https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases. This is mainly for bugfixes and accepted user suggestions:
  1. Catalogues except alphaINTL are closed now after an item was picked.
  2. VIEW X displays also long strings correctly now.
  3. STO and RCL of variables should be inserted correctly in programs now.
  4. Single-stepping through programs crosses STOP now, too.
  5. KEYG and KEYX allow for direct input of softkeys now.
And we added a bit of graphic (still WIP):
  • Equations prepared for the Solver can be DRAWn now.
  • These drawings can be ZOOMed out to find the axes
For this release, only the Owner's Manual is updated.

Included in the release package is everything you may want to try, test, and check the 43S on your computer or your DM42. Please look into the Reference Manual, App. E and F for how to do this.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask early. And if you discover anything suboptimal unknown yet, please report. There are certainly some issues - who finds one will get 13 test points.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

With 0.21.7:
  1. access to local registers is not working. Pressing [.] after STO, RCL, INC ... does nothing and local register numbers such as .00 cannot be entered.
  2. the stack shuffle instruction <> works correctly in Run mode but if you try to enter it in Program mode it is not registered
  3. a cosmetic issue: when entering in program mode an instruction asking for a parameter such as STO, RCL, SKIP ... it overlaps the instruction already entered at the current step, it is displayed correctly on the next step only when the instruction is completed with parameter(s)
  4. CLREGS cannot be entered in a program
Walter

Post by Walter »

@Didier. Some answers:
  1. Please excuse my dumb question, but did you allocate any local registers? If not, you cannot access them...
  2. Thanks for reporting! 13 points more for you.
  3. Yes, this is a feature. Where do you suggest it should go during entry?
  4. This is as advertized (CLREGS is printed on violet background in the IOI to indicate it can't be programmed).