WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Walter

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter »

redglyph wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:57 pm
It was a simple question, I wasn't talking about the manual. :)
You triggered some thoughts. Not the worst you could have done.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
BINUBALL

Post by BINUBALL »

What is the meaning of (-0.10,-27) and (2.1,534) on the screen?

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
rudi

Post by rudi »

BINUBALL wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:24 pm

From counting ticks and the scale, it looks like the lower left and upper right bounds?
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Jaymos wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:12 am
Jaymos wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:46 pm
Try using lower case x, or another variable name such as XX.
Do not use a register name.
Quoting p255 of the OM: "...You must not, however, reuse any name of such a constant for any of your variables – your WP 43S may misunderstand your intentions."

@Walter, maybe an additional note on p255 regarding the use of especially "X" and "x" in equations could be warranted.
Reading this discussion about variables and equations I tried on the latest version of the wp34s simulator to enter the classic equation U=R⋅I

No issue to enter the equation, but going to solver only U and I variables are visible, not R. The reason being that R is already defined as the Molar gas constant.

Going through the list of constants in the ReM, I found three capital letters that are already used as constants and should not be used as variables in equations: F, G, R

Something to be aware of when writing equations implying force or resistance for example on the WP43S.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

rudi wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:00 pm
BINUBALL wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:24 pm
From counting ticks and the scale, it looks like the lower left and upper right bounds?
Correct. Keeping the graph area clean by not placing multiple labels inside the (small) graph area.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Today, 2022-8-27, we offer you release 0.22.8 here https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases.
  • Fixed all bugs reported until yesterday (thanks to Mihail!).
  • Made alpha input mode starting in lower case for editing equations and creating variables (to reduce the odds you will inadvertantly employ e.g. X or Y there).
  • Refined the naming rules for items.
  • Decided I/O paradigm is going to be file oriented.
  • Improved consistency of ASSIGN.
  • Refined LNΓ (thanks to Pauli).
  • Refined five characters in the fonts (you are requested to reinstall both).

Both manuals were updated accordingly (CPXSLV of 0.22.4 must be documented still).

Included in the release package is everything you may want to try, test, and check the WP43S on your computer or your DM42. Please look into the Reference Manual, App. E and F for how to do this.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask early. And if you discover anything suboptimal, please report. There are certainly some issues - who finds one unknown yet will get 3 test points.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Earlier this year I complained about having to press EXIT multiple times before exiting all menus that were opened, which was not what was described at that time in the manual.

I checked the latest manual and this has been updated as follows:
The last four (sub-) menus opened are stored on a menu stack. Each exit of a (sub-) menu pops an entry from this stack, opening a new (sub-) menu pushes a new entry on it. So wherever you are, the fourth EXIT will return to a screen with MyMenu or Myα displayed the latest.
The emphasis on the fourth EXIT is mine. I checked on the latest version of the simulator and it appears that the depth of the menu stack is not 4 but 8 (sub-) menus. For me this is way too much, I don't see the rational to press EXIT 7 times to go to the first opened menu which is directly accessible with two key press.

I even don't see the rational for a 4-level menu stack, anything beyond two levels seems too much for me, so I would like to know the rational behind this 8-level menu stack.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

dlachieze wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:32 pm
Earlier this year I complained about having to press EXIT multiple times before exiting all menus that were opened, which was not what was described at that time in the manual.

The last four (sub-) menus opened are stored on a menu stack. Each exit of a (sub-) menu pops an entry from this stack, opening a new (sub-) menu pushes a new entry on it. So wherever you are, the fourth EXIT will return to a screen with MyMenu or Myα displayed the latest.
The emphasis on the fourth EXIT is mine. I checked on the latest version of the simulator and it appears that the depth of the menu stack is not 4 but 8 (sub-) menus. For me this is way too much, I don't see the rational to press EXIT 7 times to go to the first opened menu which is directly accessible with two key press.

I even don't see the rational for a 4-level menu stack, anything beyond two levels seems too much for me, so I would like to know the rational behind this 8-level menu stack.
The 8 deep stack is remnant of the prior system. It will still be reduced to the maximum needed for the deepest menu. This stack depth was discussed at length in the dev group and the decision was to maintain the last (previous) task menu, prior to a complete sub-task. That is, say you are in the EXP menu, then you do EQN/Solver/Draw/Exit/Exit/Exit to find yourself back in the last task you had, EXP. 4 is the maximum number of levels needed.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Jaymos wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:12 pm
dlachieze wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:32 pm

The 8 deep stack is remnant of the prior system. It will still be reduced to the maximum needed for the deepest menu. This stack depth was discussed at length in the dev group and the decision was to maintain the last (previous) task menu, prior to a complete sub-task. That is, say you are in the EXP menu, then you do EQN/Solver/Draw/Exit/Exit/Exit to find yourself back in the last task you had, EXP. 4 is the maximum number of levels needed.
(Emphasis added)
Exactly. Sometimes software is faster than documentation - in this case documentation was way faster than software. ;)
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Jaymos wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:12 pm
Thanks for the explanation, ideally it would be nice to have the last task menu tagged in the stack so that when it is popped from the stack by EXIT the previous menus remaining in the stack would be cleared to reduce the required EXIT to the minimum.

Also one thing that bugs be on the 43S is that, when I enter in program mode, the previous menus opened in Run mode remain in the menu stack so I have to press EXIT many times before exiting the program mode, and depending on the menu displayed the up and down arrows may not do BST or SST which is a major inconvenience for me, I always have to check if there is a dashed line in the menu to see if I need to press f before an up and down arrow or as many EXIT as required by the content of the menu stack.
Clearing the menu stack and displaying a default menu when entering the program mode would ensure a more consistent user experience.