WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
H2X

Re: 43S News

Post by H2X »

rudi wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:47 pm
H2X wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:48 pm
The DM42 User Manual describes firmware updating using dm_tool and dfu-util. Could this help?

https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm42/ ... are_update
Tried that, DM Tool 2.4 just reports "Device not ready"

Edit: Found some tips in the manual, see viewtopic.php?p=23516#p23516
Last edited by H2X on Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
rudi

Post by rudi »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:02 pm

This is how I finally managed to get out: with my calculator connected to my computer with a USB cable, I went through the cycle by pressing the [Exit] key time and again, but as I did so, I also madly pressed several of the keys along the bottom of the calculator. (Yes, I was desperate to try anything.) And eventually a different screen told me I could enter USB Fat mode, which I then did. That's where I was able, from my computer, to copy the DM42 files onto the calculator while also deleting the WP43 files, and then to reset my calculator back to DM42 mode. (I was able to reproduce entering the USB Fat mode a couple of times at least, so it wasn't a total fluke.)
Thanks Bill, the "madly pressing buttons at the button" did the trick. Perhaps eventually, the 43S Exit key (DM42 + key) eventually responded as an Exit command.

I ended up in the DMCP menu, and after selecting "Load QSPI from FAT" and then starp up the 43S, all worked...

Now with a WP43S - takes a little getting used to, with the different keyboard layout.

Now I need to find out, how the keys are actually assigned in this version. Guess I'll just have to browse backwards in this 176 pages thread, untill I find a picture with the key layout.

Sorry for the noice I may have caused in this thread. Most likely the hardware and software worked as it aught to, but I screwed it up somehow.
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
gmac42

Post by gmac42 »

Ah, I see I'm too late, but maybe this helps someone else the next time...
I just checked with DM42 and DM41X:
Hold the lower right button, press and relese reset -> USB Disk mode
Alternatively, Hold PGM button (inside the case, below RESET), press and release reset -> STM32 Bootloader
Don't know from the top of my head how to reflash using the bootloader, but I think it is very hard to brick the device to a point where this wouldn't work anymore.
And if all else fails, there's still JTAG.
DM41X #542, DM42 #650, DM41L #801, HP 41CX, HP 41CV, HP 50G, HP11C, TI 89
H2X

Post by H2X »

Found these sections in the DM42 User Manual:

- https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm42/ ... state_menu
- https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm42/ ... activation

which state that

"Reading of last stored calculator state file can be bypassed (eg. when the FAT disk is corrupted and the calculator hangs after a reset while reading the state file) by holding the - key and pressing the [RESET] button on the back of the calculator."

and

"Bootloader mode can be activated from main Setup menu: SETUP → System → Bootloader or by using RESET and PGM button.

The sequence of entering bootloader mode using RESET and PGM button is:

- Press and hold PGM button
- Press and release the RESET button
- Release the PGM button

Older models have both buttons accessible through the holes in the calculator backplate. Newer models have one hole in the backplate for RESET button only, therefore the backplate should be removed first, then use the RESET and PGM buttons directly on PCB."

respectively. They might provide some method to the button pressing madness, should the need arise again.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

H2X wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:18 pm
"Reading of last stored calculator state file can be bypassed (eg. when the FAT disk is corrupted and the calculator hangs after a reset while reading the state file) by holding the - key and pressing the [RESET] button on the back of the calculator."
I tried this and it didn't help me in my situation. I looked all over the keyboard for the PGM button and couldn't find it: I didn't know what the manual was talking about--but I have a newer version of the DM42 which only has a Reset hole, but no PGM hole. So thank you, I now know what they mean by the "PGM button"!
Walter

Post by Walter »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:39 pm
H2X wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:18 pm
I tried this and it didn't help me in my situation. I looked all over the keyboard for the PGM button and couldn't find it: I didn't know what the manual was talking about--but I have a newer version of the DM42 which only has a Reset hole, but no PGM hole. So thank you, I now know what they mean by the "PGM button"!
App. G of the WP43S Reference Manual explains this procedure and shows both buttons in a photograph of the PCB. Just FYI.

Question: What to do if this procedure using PGM and RESET doesn't succeed??
Last edited by Walter on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Walter wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:52 pm
It appears that the "madly mash the keys" at the bottom of the keypad is something that worked for two of us. (I couldn't get anything else to succeed.)

One of the few times when losing my temper was actually the correct course of action . . . <grin>
Walter

Post by Walter »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:58 pm
Walter wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:52 pm
It appears that the "madly mash the keys" at the bottom of the keypad is something that worked for two of us. (I couldn't get anything else to succeed.)

One of the few times when losing my temper was actually the correct course of action . . . <grin>
Really sounds like a defined procedure. ;) Hope Michael or David can give us a more properly specified solution.

Sorry, there was an error in my previous post. Corrected now.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

rudi wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:36 pm

Now I need to find out, how the keys are actually assigned in this version. Guess I'll just have to browse backwards in this 176 pages thread, untill I find a picture with the key layout.
Download the latest manuals (you probably did already) as they almost always have the very latest keyboard layouts; Walter is very good about keeping the manuals up to date. They are large and loaded with tons of useful information, and although daunting, it's worth investing some time to become familiar with the manuals' content and resources. With a definite nod to Angel's beautiful ROM manuals, Walter is one of the very left who makes thorough and complete manuals for new products, and (amazingly) keeps them updated even though the target continues to move.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
rudi

Post by rudi »

rprosperi wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:32 am
rudi wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:36 pm

Download the latest manuals (you probably did already) as they almost always have the very latest keyboard layouts; Walter is very good about keeping the manuals up to date. They are large and loaded with tons of useful information, and although daunting, it's worth investing some time to become familiar with the manuals' content and resources. With a definite nod to Angel's beautiful ROM manuals, Walter is one of the very left who makes thorough and complete manuals for new products, and (amazingly) keeps them updated even though the target continues to move.
Yes - got it, thanks (didn’t think about the manual - RTFM ☺️, and the reference manual). Either one’s something you just browse through. I like the Reference manual and will stick to that one to begin with. And yes, both manuals are impressively thoroughly and well written, huge respect for that.
But dang - I am looking forward to get a real hardware manifestation of the 43S. I make loads of wrong keystrokes now using the DM42. And when vacation is over, it’s back to the normal DM42, which I use daily at work.
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark