WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Walter

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter »

Panchdara wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:34 pm
Walter wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:49 pm
Included in the release package is everything you may want to try, test, and check the 43S on your computer or your DM42. Please look into the Reference Manual, App. E and F for how to do this. Find there also which (few) functions don't work yet.
I'm at a loss, where are the listings of non-working (few) functions? and in App. F, no mention how to purchase a purposed WP43s (but that's subjective?)

This is in no way any bad criticism. Far from it. I use the Win simulator regularly - with a lot of fun!

I'd buy a dedicated unit. I look forward to one in the near future.

👍👍🍻
Thanks for asking. I should have been a bit more specific: Within the ReM, you find the working and non-working functions in the IOI - those not implemented yet are highlighted red under 'remarks'.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Walter

Post by Walter »

akaTB wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:17 pm
Panchdara wrote:
Don't hold your breath: some people here are waiting for ten years now... ;)

(No criticism from me either).
I know. And every potential user can read it in the 'Release Notes'. Plus in the section 'Background ...' of the ReM. It's 9.5 years though.

BTW, I can stand criticism as long as you can stand it as well. ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Walter wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:55 pm
akaTB wrote:
Panchdara wrote:

I know. And every potential user can read it in the 'Release Notes'. Plus in the section 'Background ...' of the ReM. It's 9.5 years though.

Don't be afraid, I can. And I reciprocate. :P
What I can hardly stand are pedants.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Walter

Post by Walter »

akaTB wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:21 pm
Walter wrote:
akaTB wrote:

What you may call pedantic are more than 5% error. Talking about pasta that may be neglectable, talking about calculators that's quite a lot. Anyway, I agree it will be ten years in November. 8-)
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Walter wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:32 pm
akaTB wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:21 pm
Walter wrote:

What you may call pedantic are more than 5% error. Talking about pasta that may be neglectable, talking about calculators that's quite a lot. Anyway, I agree it will be ten years in November. 8-)
Call me pedantic then, but with just a cursory search I found this by a certain Walter B on 27 June 2012, 3:14 a.m.
Matt, 43S is little more than a label so far. There isn't any written spec yet as we are still busy with the WP 34S. But it's SW will certainly be based on our experience gained here, while its HW is not existent yet. I can imagine a WP 43S might feature, in random order:
  • An LCD allowing for softkeys as well as displaying a complex number in a single line simultaneously (so it shall allow for showing two lines of alphanumeric data at least);
  • Different data types (integer, real, complex, string, matrix), named variables like in HP-42S;
  • Pocketability like the Pioneers;
  • A quality keyboard featuring slanted rotate-and-click keys which register always (the big ENTER goes without saying);
  • RPN for operation and keystroke programming like in WP 34S;
  • A choice of four or eight stack levels like in WP 34S;
  • I/O capabilities at least like in WP 34S, using USB or SD;
  • Stacked menues like in HP-42S, including a user menu.
This list is not complete yet. And other people's MMV :-)
https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwra ... ead=225720

So adjust your date references... :twisted:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
Walter

Post by Walter »

Massimo, perche? Why did you stop so early? Certainly, with some diligence you'll find some bones ... ummh ... relicts in the years before 2012 - just search for 43S on that forum we all know for its free spirit (even before 2016). :twisted: IMHO, however, pipe dreams are one and a project is another cup of tea. And the official start of the project 43S was ... you know where you find it. YMMV. 8-)
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Walter wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:25 pm
Massimo, perche? Why did you stop so early? Certainly, with some diligence you'll find some bones ... ummh ... relicts in the years before 2012 - just search for 43S on that forum we all know for its free spirit (even before 2016). :twisted: IMHO, however, pipe dreams are one and a project is another cup of tea. And the official start of the project 43S was ... you know where you find it. YMMV. 8-)
Walter, why? Because mine was a cursory search, as already stated. My fault, I didn't start a project on that, sorry.
I'm sure I could find some bones, relicts, or frankfurters maybe. ;)
The gist of it was that you made our mouths water well before the start of an official project.

But, really, what's bugging you Walter? My mention that ten years have gone by? Time flies, you know, not my fault.

Ten Years After - No Title

Well, I got no worry and I got no pain
'Cause when I get rid of them, they come back again
I just keep on doing what I want to do
If I keep on trying, I'm sure to come through
Well money's no problem, it comes and it goes
It stops me from starving, it keeps me in clothes
There's a God and a Devil, I'm sure it must be
But why should I bother them, they don't bother me
So, I'll keep on playing and do what I do
These strings on my fingers are all that is true
Well, I got no worry and I got no pain
'Cause when I get rid of them, they come back again
I just keep on doing, what I want to do
If I keep on trying, I'm sure to come through
I'm sure to come through, I'm sure to come through
I'm sure to come through
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
Walter

Post by Walter »

Ok, I did a little research and found the name "43S" was coined in February 2000 by someone called "Menno" on the forum of the MoHPC which was a pleasure to read at that time. It was meant to name an HP-42S successor. When it turned out that HP would not launch such a calculator, the idea got more momentum in 2003/2004 (see OpenRPN). The earliest contributions from my side I find in 2006 (the layouts all disappeared). We started the WP34S project in 2008 when the (repurposable) HP20B became available, and launched it in 2011, the WP31S in 2014, and the 43S project - as you know - in 2012.
synopsis

Post by synopsis »

Hello everyone, good morning,

This is my first post here, I joined the forum few months back.
I have seen the work lots of you are dedicating on the WP43S and WP43C projects.
I really want to thank you for this. This couldn't be possible without the will of passionate people.

I have a question regarding what could be potentially a 43S key design. I have tried to use the search engine of the forum but I wasn't lucky.

I understand a 43S product will be develop based on DM42 hardware. I successfully ran WP43S on my DM42.
In terms of case and keys, what is the foreseen design ?
Reason I'm asking, I'm not a big fan of the key design of my DM42:
- The keypress feedback is good, but below what I'm used to know with the various HP calculators I own. Well, it's still acceptable.
- The key design has one unique face, as opposed to certain HP caculators which have two faces on each keys.
If I take the example of HP35S, we can see that the keys have two edges and the blue and red labels are printed on the second edge of each keys.

For my point of view, this significantly increases the ease of readiness of the labels and makes it more comfortable.
Can someone please help me and tell me what is foreseen for what is meant to be the WP43S ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Today, 22.02.2022, we can present release 0.22.2 here https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases. We make the commands for setting and clearing flags easier accessible. Both manuals were updated. And while removing bugs, we made also many improvements and refinements under the hood, e.g. for equations and programs (thanks to Mihail!).

Included in the release package is everything you may want to try, test, and check the 43S on your computer or your DM42. Please look into the Reference Manual, App. E and F for how to do this. Find in said manual also which (few) functions don't work yet.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask early. And if you discover anything suboptimal, please report. There are certainly some issues - who finds one unknown yet will get 9 test points.