WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Walter

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter »

Ah, thanks!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

So today I updated the WP43s Windows emulator from version 0.22.5 to 0.22.7, and it would not start with the old backup.bin file. I deleted the backup.bin file (renamed it, actually), and it started up, but when I attempted to Load the wp43s.sav file it crashed and shut down the program. I went to download the version 0.22.6 files to see if that might fix this problem, but unfortunately they have been overwritten on Github with the 0.22.7 files. Is there some workaround available, so that I don't have to re-enter all my data and programs again ?
Last edited by HPMike on Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
Walter

Post by Walter »

HPMike wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:55 pm
So today I updated the WP43s Windows emulator from version 0.22.5 to 0.22.7, and it would not start with the old backup.bin file. I deleted the backup.bin file (renamed it, actually), and I started up, but when I attempted to Load the wp43s.sav file it crashed and shut down the program. I went to download the version 0.22.6 files to see if that might fix this problem, but unfortunately they have been overwritten on Github with the 0.22.7 files. Is there some workaround available, so that I don't have to re-enter all my data and programs again ?
Please look for footnote 119 on p. 202 of the Reference Manual.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Walter wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 pm
HPMike wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:55 pm
So today I updated the WP43s Windows emulator from version 0.22.5 to 0.22.7, and it would not start with the old backup.bin file. I deleted the backup.bin file (renamed it, actually), and I started up, but when I attempted to Load the wp43s.sav file it crashed and shut down the program. I went to download the version 0.22.6 files to see if that might fix this problem, but unfortunately they have been overwritten on Github with the 0.22.7 files. Is there some workaround available, so that I don't have to re-enter all my data and programs again ?
Please look for footnote 119 on p. 202 of the Reference Manual.
Yes, I tried that, but the wp43s.sav file won't Load. It just crashes and closes the program.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Then I'm sorry. I don't know any other tricks. It's still a pre-alpha software so far...
rudi

Post by rudi »

Have You tried a hard reset
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
rudi

Post by rudi »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:17 pm
It's in the wp43s-dm42-0.22.7.zip file, which you get by clicking on the "Firmware for DM42" link at this site: https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases.

-----------------

## Convert a DM42 to a WP43S
1. Start your computer. Take a DM42 and turn it on; then
- press [Setup] [5] (System) [2] (Enter system menu) [4] (Reset to DMCP menu)
- Now connect your computer to the calculator micro-USB socket using a suitable data cable. Ensure it connects properly on the calculator side – cutting back the plastic edge a bit may be necessary.
- Press [6] (Activate USB Disk). The flash disk of your DM42 should show up as an external mass storage volume on your computer now.
2. Download the [latest release](https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases) of WP43S for DM42.
- Copy the files 'WP43S.pgm' and 'WP43S_qspi.bin' to the DM42 flash disk.
- Option: Copying 'testPgms.bin' to the DM42 flash disk will give you some test programs pre-entered.
- Option: Also copying 'keymap.bin' to the DM42 flash disk will reassign keys to match the WP43S layout (for all functionality of the device). Unless you have done this, [EXIT] stays bottom left, which is the only effect.
- Delete any other files ending '_qspi.bin' or '.pgm' because the calculator may attempt to load those instead of the WP43S firmware.
3. 'Eject' the USB disk from the operating system, and do not press [EXIT] on the calculator as instructed. Pressing [EXIT] will sometimes cause loss of data on the DM42 USB disk.
4. Press [4] (Load QSPI from FAT). This will automatically detect the relevant file and flash it to the DM42. It should be completed in seconds.
- Press any key to restart followed by [EXIT] [3] (DMCP Menu).
5. Press [3] (Load Program) and select 'WP43S.pgm'. Wait about 15s for flashing to complete. Then press [EXIT] [EXIT] [1]. Then press the key in the bottom left (either [+] or [EXIT]). Now, your WP 43S is up and waiting for your commands.
I tried your instructions Bill, and after step 3), my DM42 ended up in a state, that I can not get it out of again.
This screen is showing all the time:

I tried reset, both reset bottons simultaneusly PRGM, then RESET down and up and then release PGM, removing batteries and reinserting, but I can get my DM42 out of this state...
Appreciate advice on how I get in touch with my DM42 again.

PS: this is the second time I tried loading the WP43S into my DM42, first time also went wrong, but at least I could recover at that time. If I have to send it to SwissMicros, I think I will just throw it in the bin and consider buying a new one, to avoid all the hassle with customs. Or maybe just return to my HP-42S
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
H2X

Post by H2X »

The DM42 User Manual describes firmware updating using dm_tool and dfu-util. Could this help?

https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm42/ ... are_update
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
rudi

Post by rudi »

H2X wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:48 pm
The DM42 User Manual describes firmware updating using dm_tool and dfu-util. Could this help?

https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm42/ ... are_update
Tried that, DM Tool 2.4 just reports "Device not ready"

/Rudi

Denmark
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

rudi wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:36 pm
I tried your instructions Bill, and after step 3), my DM42 ended up in a state, that I can not get it out of again.
Just to clarify, they are not my instructions: they are the instructions that come with the WP43S software. But they were the instructions that allowed me to take my calculator from a DM42 to the latest WP43 successfully. Note, though, that step (4) wasn't fully accurate IIRC: I had to follow my nose after I did step (4) to get to step (5), but doing so was straightforward.
rudi wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:36 pm
I tried reset, both reset bottons simultaneusly PRGM, then RESET down and up and then release PGM, removing batteries and reinserting, but I can get my DM42 out of this state...
Appreciate advice on how I get in touch with my DM42 again.

PS: this is the second time I tried loading the WP43S into my DM42, first time also went wrong, but at least I could recover at that time. If I have to send it to SwissMicros, I think I will just throw it in the bin and consider buying a new one, to avoid all the hassle with customs. Or maybe just return to my HP-42S
Don't give up by throwing the calculator in the bin! I think there's hope.

My situation was perhaps similar: from a screen like the one above, no key would work except the Exit key (in my case that meant both the lower left key and the lower right key, because I had remapped the Exit key to the lower left).

When I pressed the Exit key, that led me to a hard fault screen. And when I pressed the key to exit the hard fault screen, it took me back to the previous screen, round and round and round.

I tried the Reset pin on the back of the calculator, both by itself and also along with the [-] key and with the [F1] key, but I couldn't break out of the hard fault cycle.

This is how I finally managed to get out: with my calculator connected to my computer with a USB cable, I went through the cycle by pressing the [Exit] key time and again, but as I did so, I also madly pressed several of the keys along the bottom of the calculator. (Yes, I was desperate to try anything.) And eventually a different screen told me I could enter USB Fat mode, which I then did. That's where I was able, from my computer, to copy the DM42 files onto the calculator while also deleting the WP43 files, and then to reset my calculator back to DM42 mode. (I was able to reproduce entering the USB Fat mode a couple of times at least, so it wasn't a total fluke.)

There are two things going on I think:
--in my case, the upgrade process that I followed had failed to load the new QSPI, so the new WP43.pgm file that my calculator was running wasn't able to interact with the old QSPI correctly: I think that's what was causing the hard faults.
--to get out of the cycle, I think my madly mashing of keys inserted an input to the calculator during a very small window that is open during its crash-reset cycle. So I think you've got to slip in a command during that small window.

I don't know if the above is true: it's my best guess. Good luck!

--------------------------

Re-reading your initial post, I think you have a different problem than I had.

Did you change the keymap.bin file? If so, your [EXIT] might be the lower left key and not the lower right key, or vice versa. Try both of them.
Last edited by Bill K. - USA on Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.